SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Dunkirk
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Dunkirk Login/Join 
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Not having seen it yet, Kevbo's review about the movi,e and the faults he sees with it, certainly reduces my interest. The British armed forces have a centuries-old reputation for courage, bravery, and stoic performance of duty, the film's focus on characters utterly lacking these traits is a major disservice to the British soldier. Of the hundreds of thousands of personnel involved in the Dunkirk evacuation the overwhelming majority did their duty, which is why it was the success it was. To highlight the aberrant and tiny minority that did not have any moral fortitude is typical Hollywood dogma.

I was hoping for an objective, if not patriotic, account of events. I should know better by now.


You're thinking about it wayyyy too much. It's an incredible movie. It was an evacuation. They weren't fighting. They were trying to get the hell out of there...


--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks
 
Posts: 1531 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It's still worth seeing, man. Certainly make your own opinion....I am clearly in the minority in my assessment (although I'm not alone)

I'm still glad I saw it. And you get heroism and patriotism from 2/3s of the players (the aviators and civilians)


I'm not trying to sway people from seeing it....just expressing why I didn't like it that much

Edit: also, as a former member of the Army (albeit the US Army) I may take more umbrage with the portrayal. I've known several members of the British army, and every one of them was an outstanding soldier


quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Not having seen it yet, Kevbo's review about the movi,e and the faults he sees with it, certainly reduces my interest. The British armed forces have a centuries-old reputation for courage, bravery, and stoic performance of duty, the film's focus on characters utterly lacking these traits is a major disservice to the British soldier. Of the hundreds of thousands of personnel involved in the Dunkirk evacuation the overwhelming majority did their duty, which is why it was the success it was. To highlight the aberrant and tiny minority that did not have any moral fortitude is typical Hollywood dogma.

I was hoping for an objective, if not patriotic, account of events. I should know better by now.
 
Posts: 6661 | Location: Bristow, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Not having seen it yet, Kevbo's review about the movi,e...
you're going about this all wrong. read reviews after you've seen it.
 
Posts: 8676 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Not having seen it yet, Kevbo's review about the movi,e...
you're going about this all wrong. read reviews after you've seen it.


Finally saw the movie and re-read all the posts in this thread. I believe I gave it an objective watch and Kevbo's review and reasons why he didn't like it are spot on. I felt that the makers of this movie interposed Millenial thoughts and actions instead of the stoicism and toughness of the times.

For a far better and more accurate view of the soldier's experience at Dunkirk I recommend this 2004 made for TV movie -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400391/

The producers actually incorporated actual experiences from soldiers who were there in the making of the film. I know - the gall of some people to try to be factual in their storytelling!




 
Posts: 3778 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I saw it.... It was good, but not B of B good.
Question:
Who was shooting at them when they were in the hold of the beached ship?


End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
 
Posts: 5882 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Supposedly the Germans were using the beached boat as target practice.




 
Posts: 3778 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Ok! Thanks!


End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
 
Posts: 5882 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Ive noticed in most movies I see that the sound , both voices and background music etc is not adjusted well at all and many times indiscernible

all the money they waste on visuals and we cant hear the most important parts of the movie
 
Posts: 104 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Millennial thoughts and actions...couldn't have said it better myself

I'm sure there were people that acted like the ones in the movie

But what we know is that the vast majority did not....



quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Not having seen it yet, Kevbo's review about the movi,e...
you're going about this all wrong. read reviews after you've seen it.


Finally saw the movie and re-read all the posts in this thread. I believe I gave it an objective watch and Kevbo's review and reasons why he didn't like it are spot on. I felt that the makers of this movie interposed Millenial thoughts and actions instead of the stoicism and toughness of the times.

For a far better and more accurate view of the soldier's experience at Dunkirk I recommend this 2004 made for TV movie -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400391/

The producers actually incorporated actual experiences from soldiers who were there in the making of the film. I know - the gall of some people to try to be factual in their storytelling!
 
Posts: 6661 | Location: Bristow, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAEIndustries:
Ive noticed in most movies I see that the sound , both voices and background music etc is not adjusted well at all and many times indiscernible

all the money they waste on visuals and we cant hear the most important parts of the movie


Are you talking about in theaters or at home?

If at home, then it's likely your sound set up. Do you have a center channel speaker for audio? If not, look into 3.1 or 5.1 system. The center speaker makes a huge difference for dialogue.
 
Posts: 9879 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Where Dunkirk shines is Nolan's display of time sequences that double over and back, which is reminiscent of Memento and one of his earlier films Following (1998). Here we see it from various viewpoints; water level and from the cockpit.
 
Posts: 8676 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder how this movie did in France?
 
Posts: 4282 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
I wonder how this movie did in France?

"The film opened in France on 19 July 2017, and made $2.2 million on its first day. It was released in seven markets the following day, earning an additional $6.3 million, and on 21 July in forty-six more countries, grossing $12.7 million from over ten thousand theatres, including $3.7 million from the United Kingdom.[138] The international debut totalled $55.4 million, including $4.9 million in France, $12.4 million in the UK and $10.3 million in Korea.[139] The film remained number one in the United Kingdom for five weeks."
 
Posts: 8676 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
One of my school teachers was taken prisoner in the rearguard action fought around Dunkirk. Eighty of his fellows were taken prisoner, put in a barn, and massacred with machinegun, grenades and flamethrowers.

Quote - ' For the evacuation to be a success a rearguard had to be formed, these men had to resist the blitzkreig at all costs and do everything they could to slow the German advance. The chilling reality was that for these men there was only two options... death or capture. Some did manage to get to the Dunkirk beaches and got taken home on the last few boats. However, for every seven men taken home from Dunkirk, one would be taken prisoner of war. Tens of thousands of troops were taken east to the Stalag camps where they would spend five long years working as slave labour down mines and in fields and factories, ending in a terrible march of hundreds of miles in freezing winter in late 1944 as the Allies began to advance. This final tribulation would be a test to far and many died of sheer exhaustion and malnutrition, collapsing in the snow. Others paid the ultimate sacrifice as they defended the evacuation. In the town of Esquelbecq near Dunkirk, 80 lads were captured in the rearguard and were massacred after being put in a barn by the SS and attacked by machine gun and grenade. In Dunkirk Town Cemetery lie the bodies of 793 Allied servicemen. At the entrance is the Dunkirk Memorial with the names of more than 4,500 brave souls who have no known grave.

Those killed away from the beaches died not knowing what was to become of their comrades or their families back home. Not aware of the miracle of the little ships. the smallest being only 15ft in length. The situation was bleak, it looked like a huge defeat and they were not to know that thanks to their brave actions and sacrifice hundreds of thousands managed to escape and would later return to the beaches of Normandy a few years later, but this time on the attack, advancing to victory. Others would fight in North Africa, Burma and elsewhere.

When the Dunkirk story is told, these selfless, brave men of the rear guard should never be forgotten.'

You can listen to one of them, here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwaJcZnR7us

tac
 
Posts: 8594 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Finally saw it.

I wanted to like this movie. I think it sucked though.

It's hard to put my finger on what I didn't like...Dunkirk was just so vanilla.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Totus Tuus

 
Posts: 4293 | Location: Philadelphia, Pa | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Finally saw it.

I wanted to like this movie. I think it sucked though.

It's hard to put my finger on what I didn't like...Dunkirk was just so vanilla.

Same here...saw it the other night.

I contemplated turning it off but kept watching, hoping it would get better. It didn't.


________________________________________________________

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy." Winston Churchill
 
Posts: 13658 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Yes! That's probably one of the things that turned me off to it.

Maybe the constant background noise made me think something was gonna happen.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Totus Tuus

 
Posts: 4293 | Location: Philadelphia, Pa | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thought it was ok. Not great. Not Academy Award level. And there should have been more planes. Pretty sure there were more than 3 Spitfires there.
 
Posts: 4282 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I thought it was one of the best films I saw all year, especially from a technical standpoint. Beautifully shot, with amazing sound. I expect it will end up with a handful of technical Oscars, like Best Cinematography or Best Sound Editing.

I wish I had the opportunity to watch it on IMAX.

quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
And there should have been more planes. Pretty sure there were more than 3 Spitfires there.


Yep. The RAF flew around 3500 sorties to Dunkirk during the 10 day long battle.

I'm not sure the exact number of total fighters present, but it appears that the RAF lost over 100 fighters at Dunkirk during this period, of which over 60 were Spitfires.
 
Posts: 19525 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was good technically.

The only plus I can think of is that it didn't try to somehow shove a romantic store line down my throat.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Totus Tuus

 
Posts: 4293 | Location: Philadelphia, Pa | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Dunkirk

© SIGforum 2018