SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Add Your Favorite Guitarist or Influences
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Add Your Favorite Guitarist or Influences Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Just adding names to the list

Adrian Belew
Robert Fripp

0-0

Here's a man with taste!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Just adding names to the list

Adrian Belew
Robert Fripp
0-0

Here's a man with taste!

Had to do a search but loved The Court of the Crimson King back in the day. Also checked his string quintet youtube videos and believe it or not, Fripp reminded me of my good friend I mentioned earlier who passed on Mike Dodd, his playing style was so similar, Mike was a true genius on guitar and one of the very best I've ever met or seen playing, both professionally on stage or studio. Their finger dexterity is unmatched and such a pleasure to watch play..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
Stephen Stills
Nils Lofgren
Robby Krieger

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Pretty much everyone on this list for these reasons:

100 Greatest Rock Guitar Solos

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
Lot's of great names already mentioned. Here are a four I really enjoy and don't think were mentioned.

Steve Howe
Steve Hackett
Derek Trucks
Jimmy Herring

Posts: 671 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Had to do a search but loved The Court of the Crimson King back in the day.

I didn't get exposed to Fripps earlier work with King Crimson until much later. Like I posted earlier in this thread, for me Fripp playing with Bowie on Heroes and Scary Monster, really great stuff, and Brian Eno too (Baby's On Fire). Later on when I was listening to Peter Gabriel's "Scratch" album (great record), the guitar parts on "On The Air" and "White Shadow", without looking at the album credits, I knew it was Fripp.

At that time in college, I was a little burnt on blues based guitar, and Fripp and Belew were the ones I listened to. I tried to play like them, but I was so stuck in a blues based paradigm, it was hard for me.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Had to do a search but loved The Court of the Crimson King back in the day.

I didn't get exposed to Fripps earlier work with King Crimson until much later. Like I posted earlier in this thread, for me Fripp playing with Bowie on Heroes and Scary Monster, really great stuff, and Brian Eno too (Baby's On Fire). Later on when I was listening to Peter Gabriel's "Scratch" album (great record), the guitar parts on "On The Air" and "White Shadow", without looking at the album credits, I knew it was Fripp.

At that time in college, I was a little burnt on blues based guitar, and Fripp and Belew were the ones I listened to. I tried to play like them, but I was so stuck in a blues based paradigm, it was hard for me.

oddball, like you mention about blues, it was my roots basically in the early 70's from influences like Duane, BB, Hendrix and others like Carlos Santana that attracted me to the Les Pauls and my addiction to the sound. Though that feeling persisted over many years, almost 40 I'd guess, it was the feeling of blues solos and being able to plug in a play especially if I was alone. The blues were my base and roots in those years over the 70's and 80's. Though I never tired, but would pick up the acoustic for a change in playing and tones.

When I started playing acoustic guitar, it was in way more social environments and usually accompanied by local neighborhood friends. During my Community College days in the 70's, I'd wake up in the morning and head across the street to my friend Gary, out came the coffee, maybe a little smoke, the Martins, then off to classes, or the beach with guitars on hand. This became an almost everyday routine for many years.

It was the Moody Blues, or Neil Young and America, the Eagles etc that became our acoustic roots. I never stopped playing blues but it was mostly reserved for the electrics. The acoustic guitar opened up more varied music to include a lot of home spun stuff. I had an acoustic appreciation and guitar on hand for so many years. In fact, this is a recent receipt from 91' that my last Martin the HD-35 was purchased. I purchased my original D-28 pictured earlier in the 70's. The acoustics went everywhere almost with me. I had so many friends that we jammed together with almost daily. Sometimes up to 4 or 5 players, we'd play for hours exchanging licks and song styles..I was hopelessly addicted.

Even during the 90's I would bring my electric's to work at the power company and play it unplugged on our crew truck during lunch, my co-workers enjoyed it as much as I did.

Like many, my life was largely my music and playing, everything guitar was in my blood, and squeezing a particular tone out, whether by my playing or my guitars electronics, or amp modifications.

These days, what I have is just a great appreciation for music and the artists that influenced my playing. It's been years now since I could play. A big chunk of my life and past is just great memories and photos/momento's I was lucky enough to keep over the years. Please forgive my over-indulgence by posting these moments in time. They remind me of some really great times and good friends, and fondness for my gear that got me my sound...

And lastly thank you Para for having this great place to share these experiences with, my appreciation is endless.

My last Martin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I thought Just1tym asked to see guitars and other gear.

The burst Strat with maple neck will be sold. I'm getting close to being up on a wait list for a custom Lucky Dog T-style. The sonic blue Strat is a '59 reissue with CS '54 Strat pickups; really like it a lot. The Esquire is a '59 reissue from Custom Shop made in 2005. The SG replaces an ES-339 that had some build quality issues, nor did I ever take to it. I like this SG. I also have a Martin 000-15M.

This is a great amp. It's a special edition for Sweetwater and has a 12 in it.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Beautiful!! TMats, just what the doctor ordered Smile I would have loved to find, and tirelessly looked for one of those early blonde face Fender amps in reasonable condition..never did. I'm sure that if I did though, I would have had to drop some cash at least for a new speaker and certainly some new tubes. The only thing I've left out of all my gear is in my back room covered in junk, an old mid 60's Ampeg Gemini I amp. I bought it with restoration in mind. It has that old smokey stained grill cloth, think vintage looking. I loved Ampeg's back in the day, the tube versions. Then the blackface Fender bug bit me..

I love your collection. Do you have a preference for the maple or rosewood fretboards? In my earlier years (70's) I managed snagging an SG standard, had great action and it preempted my addition to LP's. I also managed to snag a 59' Melody Maker but just didn't fit being small as it was designed. Sounded great though.

Thanks so much for posting your gear, makes my day!

Oh, found a snap of the ole girl..

Also found another one of my mid 60's blackface amps. I was really fortunate to find this one in such mint condition and one of my favorites.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
Steve Cropper

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Will, the Deluxe Reverb is beautiful

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous. I love Deluxe Reverbs.

I had a blackfaced '70 with the original iron, guts, and Jensen. DRs are my all time favorite Fender amps. I'm after a '69 Bandmaster Reverb head next, will pair with a custom cab.

But next up I'm after a late-60s Gibson Falcon combo. I missed a great one for a great deal a few months ago. I want to pair it with a Gretsch+Bigsby for that old timey vibe.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Christopher Parkening.
Carlos Montoya.
Julian Bream.

EDIT TO ADD: John Williams.

My wife and I took two nuns from our parish with us to watch Carlos Montoya in concert...maybe 15 years ago?
He was fantastic.

Christopher Parkening is great too.

I like Clapton
love Mark Knopfler
love Chet
many others.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of my favorites:

- Michael Schenker (seen him live last year, phenomenal live player)
- Eric Johnson
- Buckethead
- SRV
- David Gilmour
- Andy Timmons
- Jason Becker

So many more....

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Early on, I liked guitarists like Rick Derringer, Robin Trower, Page, etc. Then when Eddie Van Halen hit the scene, he was the one that pushed me to save and get some Charvel guitar parts and build one (still have it). Later in college, my favorites were Robert Fripp (especially his stuff with Bowie), Adrian Belew, Alex Chilton, Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music), Bob Mould.

Nowadays, I like listening to Flatt and Scruggs.

Belew and Fripp are terribly underrated,

hoping The Rona gets done quickly (not a political comment or meant to be) so I can go see some good live music,

I had tickets to see King Crimson this past June but it was cancelled,

and found out Belew tours , and hits RVA (his bassist is from here)
missed his last show here only because I found out about it a week later

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
Some of my favorites:

- Michael Schenker (seen him live last year, phenomenal live player)
- Eric Johnson
- Buckethead
- SRV
- David Gilmour
- Andy Timmons
- Jason Becker

So many more....

my high school buddy is a big Buckethead fan, I will likely go see him next time he is in the area,

another guy I had tickets to see this year is Richie Kotzen,
saw him a couple years go w/ Winery Dogs, and he was touring with his band this year,

good stuff

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Will, the Deluxe Reverb is beautiful

Thanks TMats and 46and2. It was a great find in it's condition. At one point I added a 12" JBL which made it a little heavier but sounded excellent. Thankfully it wasn't a backbreaker like my twin that came with 2-12" Altecs. At least it had the coasters to roll around with.

This is kinda an off-beat tip but, shortly after purchasing my first Martin in late 69' or early 70'the D-28 pictured earlier, my good friend Tim the producer/director from channel 2 made a trip over to Tampa and purchased a vintage D-18 from an older gentleman that owned a vintage instrument and piano store. After chatting with the friendly guy and purchasing the guitar, Tim asked him about care and cleaning it. The old gentleman took him into the back of his store where he restored old pianos and told him that he had a secret recipe for cleaning and polishing woods on pianos and guitars...mayonaise! My D-28 was one of the last years Martin used the endangered Brazillian rosewoods before they switched to the Indian rosewoods, it was a beautiful darker grained wood and beautiful. Down the road though, I decided to give the mayonnaise a go on the body to clean a slight hazing off the back that accumulated from body perspiration and heat and general humidity. It actually worked amazingly! I only applied it on the Brazilian rosewood and still used a Martin polish on the satin finish of the back of neck and the spruce top, but man did it do a fantastic job on the back along with a soft microfiber cloth. I did have to put up with the "smell of salad jokes" and other ribbing so I never told many people but, the old gentleman was spot on! Mayonnaise..imagine that Big Grin

A youtube speaker comparison Jbl/Altec.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
Phil Keaggy

Other honorable mentions:
Allan Holdsworth
Steve Howe
Kerry Livgren
Michael Hedges

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gary Moore, Randy Rhoades, Rik Emmet. Al Dimeola, Richie Faulkner, Vivian Campbell, Eric Johnson, Neal Schon, Marty Friedman, Al Pitrelli to name a few.

Probably should add Paul Gilbert, Nuno Bettencourt, Ottmar Liebert and Jason Becker.

I found a guy on YouTube by the name Ozielzinho that is pretty good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Marcushoss,

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Quite a variety in favorite players...

Love that.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post