SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Add Your Favorite Guitarist or Influences
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Add Your Favorite Guitarist or Influences Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
In no particular order within each group...

As a guitarist for 35yrs, my all-time favorites are:

Nile Rodgers
David Gilmore
Warren Haynes

Others almost as important to me:

Carl Perkins
Willie Nelson
Jack White
Jonny Greenwood
John Mayer
Derek Trucks
Ry Cooder
Dave Matthews (and Tim Reynolds)
Roy Clark

I like all/most of the flashy shredders, too, but less so.

Eddie Van Halen
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Akira Takasaki
Kirk Hammet
Warren DeMartini
George Lynch

And probably fifty others if I keep thinking about it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
In reading through many of the posts, I'd like to add a few honorable mentions that were favorites and influenced some of my playing as Les Paul wielders.

Toy Caldwell from The Marshall Tucker Band (I'd also add that Toy's tone was contributed to some of the fact that he didn't use a pick, just the callous of this thumb to hammer out licks)
Charlie Daniels
And Duanes counterpart Dickie Betts

Additionally, I was thinking back to those early years last night, some 50yrs ago now when Mike and I were about 14yrs old. I also had one flashback of Mike who had several great guitars even at that age, pick up his Gretch Country Gentleman and play Chet Atkins style, amazing!

I was so lucky that in my small neighborhood growing up we had about a dozen guitar players within a few blocks and played almost every day for years. Some recorded music, and a few ended up in the studios. They all contributed to helping me advance and influence my playing style. No doubt I'd still be hammering the runs and licks out if I hadn't had a stroke that disabled my left arm and hand. Man do I miss playing but, music and the memories will always be with me.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
This list could literally go on forever but many are:

Joe Satriani
Tommy Bolin
Terry Kath
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eric Johnson
Eddie Van Halen
Larry Carlton
Eric Clapton
Alan Holdsworth
Steve Vai
Jeff Beck
Randy Rhoads
Mike Stern
Al DiMeola

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smschulz,

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'll even dare to add this funny photo of a late night studio session we did at our local Public television station channel 2. My good friend Tim and fellow Martin enthusiast held a producer/director job there in the early 70's. We would go down late at night and cut sound tracks on their studio equipment. The management allowed us as they ended up using some of our music as background tracks on a couple of their programs.

Yea, in the early 70's we were just starting to adapt to the longer hair styles, I surfed all the time. I'm stringing up my first and best sounding Martin D-28. It sounded incredible when playing songs like Emerson, Lake, and Palmers In the Beginnings or Neil Young The Needle and the Damage Done and many of America's tunes. That Martin would resonate and ring on forever...

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Lots of my favorites in OP.
Knopfler, Clapton, Vaughan, others.

Tim Pierce- session guitarist. Dude has chops for sure. Played on 1000's of recordings including remastering recordings of some of the most influential musicians of our time.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EYR_LDtij8Y" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Good to see some session guitarists mentioned. I was watching a Boz Scaggs clip of loan me a dime last night and Drew Zingg did a great job on that one.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
in no particular order:

Clapton
Gilmour
Harrison
Page
McCartney
Felder
Walsh

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
In no particular order within each group...

As a guitarist for 35yrs, my all-time favorites are:

Nile Rodgers
David Gilmore
Warren Haynes

Others almost as important to me:

Carl Perkins
Willie Nelson
Jack White
Jonny Greenwood
John Mayer
Derek Trucks
Ry Cooder
Dave Matthews (and Tim Reynolds)
Roy Clark

I like all/most of the flashy shredders, too, but less so.

Eddie Van Halen
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Akira Takasaki
Kirk Hammet
Warren DeMartini
George Lynch

And probably fifty others if I keep thinking about it.

How could I have forgotten Ry Cooder. I’ve given instructions that I want “Feelin Bad Blues” played at my memorial service

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Oh in the Hendrix vein, Robin Trower!

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
Dan Tyminski, Glenn Campbell
Jerry Reed, Van Halen
Brad Paisley , Les Paul, joe walsh
Rickey Scaggs , Vince Gill
Marty Stewart , Billy Gibbons
Prince did wonderful things as well

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Also Les Paul and Mary Ford

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Jerry Reed

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
The main ones I listened to growing up were in order:

1 Duane and Dickie

2. Jimmy Page

3. Ritchie Blackmore

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Larry Carlton is way up there.
Still kick myself for not seeing SRV live. Particularly later when he was clean and on top of his game.

Posts: 1628 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Oh and btw, I may not be able to play anymore but by gosh I can still look so, please feel free to post any photos of your guitars and rigs! Would love to see them!

Regards, Will G.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Kenny Wayne Shepard
Vernon Reid

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Here's another one who played with lots of folks:

Mark Ribot

His guitar on Tom Waits' Hoist that Rag has always been compelling to me. The dirt is perfect and his solo is as much about the space between the notes as it is the notes themselves.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Just adding names to the list

Phil Manzanera
Pat Metheny
John Abercrombie
Mick Ronson
Martin Barre
Adrian Belew
Robert Fripp

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roy Buchanan
Joey Santiago

Posts: 194 | Location: N Raleighwood | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Leslie West
Alvin Lee
Gary Moore Voodoo Child
Carlos Santana

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow, who could forget Mississippi Queen first thing in the morning to get the blood pumping Smile

I'll toss in for guitar enthusiasts my last vintage Strat. A 65' along with one of my more compact blackface Fender amps. This 65' Strat was a classic, super light and sounded amazing. In my small collection though, my favorite playing Strat was a much cheaper later model this red 57' Reissue. It wasn't until I played it that I found that I much preferred the maple fret board necks, I don't know if it was just my imagination but they seemed much easier when doing lead runs and bends..

the 65'

The favorite 57' Reissue...loved playing this one and sounded great to boot!

Regards, Will G.