SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Add Your Favorite Guitarist or Influences
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Add Your Favorite Guitarist or Influences Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
Just reminiscing from the past growing up and playing the guitar. If you wish you can list yours. Mine is varied and long. In no certain order. I no doubt forgot a few along the way too.

Jimi Hendrix
David Gilmore
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Duane Allman
BB King
Eric Johnson
Carlos Santana
Mark Knopfler
Jimmy Page
Ted Nugent
Eddie Van Halen
Yngwie Malmsteen
Earl Klugh
William Ackerman

And an honorable mention to one of my greatest influences and friend, little known Mike Dodd. He was one of my friends and a true genius on the guitar. Although a bit eccentric at times, at a very early age (early teens)he could hear a song played once and replicate it on the guitar note for note. No question, he could have gone pro. I could sit and listen to this young kid play for hours on end in total awe. When we were in our early teens, you would find him with a short blonde crew cut hair, thick glasses, and always wore cowboy boots. Known for being a bit eccentric, the early bands that gladly enlisted him were caught in the frustrations of him not showing up for the gig's and later laughing it off as a joke. He could be on the nutty side. But in my life, he was without doubt one of the best solo guitar players I've ever met. One of the first amazing things he did in front of me was one morning we heard Classical Gas by Mason Williams playing for one of the first times on the radio and I asked him if he could play it. He plugged in his ES-335 and note for note picked it off. I just sat there with my jaw opened. I was amazed and wanted him to teach me to play it..he just laughed, I too laughed, he looked much like the guy on TV called Poindexter from Felix the Cat Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Chet Atkins
Tommy Emmanuel
JJ Cale

...to add to the above.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Early on, I liked guitarists like Rick Derringer, Robin Trower, Page, etc. Then when Eddie Van Halen hit the scene, he was the one that pushed me to save and get some Charvel guitar parts and build one (still have it). Later in college, my favorites were Robert Fripp (especially his stuff with Bowie), Adrian Belew, Alex Chilton, Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music), Bob Mould.

Nowadays, I like listening to Flatt and Scruggs.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Favorites AND influences, that sounds like fun.

Mark Knopfler
David Gilmour
Mick Taylor
SRV
Eric Clapton
Jimi
David Hidalgo
Keith Richards

Biggest influences on my own playing are: JJ Cale, Knopfler, Tony Joe White, Albert Lee and ironically, Dickey Betts. I say “ironically” because he was never a guitar player I really admired—-I sometimes found his style annoying, but I’ve been working on some Allman Brothers stuff like “Blue Sky,” and it’s really fun to play (or at least try to play, showing newly gained respect for him).

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Christopher Parkening.
Carlos Montoya.
Julian Bream.

EDIT TO ADD: John Williams.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I haven't played in years, and never that well to consider influences. A friend of mine did play well enough and swiped his fair share from Roy Clark, Christopher Parkening, and Brian May.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few very good Guitarist back in the day. Let me say this Terry Kath RIP was the most criminally underrated guitarist in the history of music. I was only 14 or 15 when I seen him play. He was mesmerizing to watch.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
My favorite guitar player is Allan Holdsworth.

Honorable mention also goes to Alex Lifeson, Steve Howe, Jerry Garcia, Al Dimeola, Eric Johnson, John Scofield, Stevie Ray Vaughn.

But I play bass guitar, so my favorites are Jaco Pastorius, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, and Phil Lesh.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lifestyles aside, Steve Winwood,Pete Townshend,Jeff Lynne,Peter Frampton and Joe Walsh.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patw,

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Lots of my favorites in OP.
Knopfler, Clapton, Vaughan, others.

Tim Pierce- session guitarist. Dude has chops for sure. Played on 1000's of recordings including remastering recordings of some of the most influential musicians of our time.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
No guitarist list is complete with out mention of

Jeff Beck
and
Warren Haynes

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
For something a bit different, I like Rodrigo Y Gabriela.

Sample below.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
John Lennon-great rhythm player
George Harrison-so precise and creative
Hendrix-no explanation necessary
Brian May-the way he layered guitars was amazing

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I did a search to see what became of my good friend Mike and found his obituary online. He passed in January 2010. As part of a neighborhood guitar group we kinda drifted apart in the early 70's and wonder where his guitar accomplishments may have taken him. Listed here, were a few comments from friends listed on his obit. RIP Mike, you were one of the best I heard and had the pleasure to jam with..

October 12, 2014
Mike was a good friend of mine. We grew up in the same neighborhood. We were close during our teenage years. He played the guitar like no one else. His guitar playing was pure magic. I wonder if there is a recording somewhere, perhaps from one of the bands he was is in. Mike, thank you for watching over and protecting me and some of your friends on more than one occasion. God bless you ... May you rest in peace forever.

Jimmy Hughes
May 13, 2010
Michael, my brother in law, was a very kind person. Whenever I spoke with him on the phone, he would always end the conversation with "I love you". Although I never got to hear him play, Jon would always proudly tell me how talented Michael was.

Michael is with the Lord now, at peace, made whole again and playing some amazing guitar music. I love you Michael.
Alica

January 15, 2010
My cousins were and are both wonderful men. I am so grateful that I got to see them a couple of times a year the last few years of Mike's life.
Elise

January 12, 2010
Mike lived 2 houses away from my family and we visited quite often. He was a very kind and generous person. His musical talent was unmatched by anyone I knew at his age. He could play a guitar like ringing a bell. I myself and my family send deep condolences to his brother John and family.
Ron Blecha

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Joe Satriani
David Gilmour
Eric Clapton
Carlos Santana
Pat Metheny

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
thundersons post above with Tim Pierce reminded me of one of my best Les Paul flametops. It's electronics were replaced by Jim Rolph in Tenn, which consisted of original 59' and 58' vintage PAF's, vintage pots and sprague "black beauty" caps. The double white lead PAF was measured at 7.6ohms and the rhythm zebra PAF measured in at 8.2ohms respectively. The guitar had an awesome fat vintage sound of a LP. I always played it through vintage blackface Fenders with two custom built bass cabs loaded with 2-12" JBL's each. Got this idea from Ted Nugent who played with vintage Fenders stacked on several bass bottoms. Sounded great!

Regards, Will G.

Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
If I had to pick a favorite, SRV.

I tend to like more heavy metal and blues rock, though. So...

Synyster Gates (Avenged Sevenfold)
Chris Robertson (Black Stone Cherry)

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was inspired by and listened to quite a lot, both old and youth, too many to recall every last one. But a few do seem to stand out over the rest:

Clapton
Elmore James
Howlin' Wolf
Jimmy Page
David Gilmour
Buddy Guy
SRV
Albert King
Jimi
Mike Bloomfield
Randy Rhoades
Dave Mustaine
Mark Knopfler
Mike McCready
John Bonamassa
Steve Fisher
Dimebag Darrell
Kenny Wayne Shepard
Rik Emmett

and most of all, Gary Moore.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would include Roy Clark. And Angus Young.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Angus (AC/DC), Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick).

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post