SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A scathing analysis of the tactics used in "Starship Troopers":
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A scathing analysis of the tactics used in "Starship Troopers": Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted

https://youtu.be/1TzAxL-O43w

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Holy shit, that movie came out 20 years ago? God, I feel old. Big Grin

That was one of the first Rated R movies I can recall seeing in the theater. (I think Air Force One was the very first, a few months before.)

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filmed in Wyoming at Hell's Half Acre.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't even watch that.

Worst movie adaptation ever. They should have been banished to outer space for making that travesty.

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
That's actually pretty good. . .

This is one of the all-time cheese movies, which I never took seriously from the beginning.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Of course, the movie makers paid little or no attention to the actual tactics used in the book. And of course the book makes it clear that if they had actual had the mobile armor, tanks would have been pathetic and irrelevant.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They took a good book...an old book at that, and made a farcical movie. Roll Eyes

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
They've been playing it alot on TV lately. Watch it every time Smile

The book was even on the Commandant's Reading list.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
[In Michael Ironside's voice]
They sucked his brains out.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Maybe not one of the best movies, but Dina Meyer made it enjoyable. Wink

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I like the special effects.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
They took a good book...an old book at that, and made a farcical movie. Roll Eyes

You mean these are not the transmission of historical documents?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
From what I've heard, they took an existing movie, found the book, and said "Hey, let's slap THIS title on it and we can sell more tickets.". .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
From what I've heard, they took an existing movie, found the book, and said "Hey, let's slap THIS title on it and we can sell more tickets.". .

It was an unrelated generic sci-fi script that was then superficially altered to include some of the names and concepts from the novel. The director even admitted that he didn't read the book, stating: "I stopped after two chapters because it was so boring."

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I love the movie, but wish it were named something different, and wish a better / actual film adaptation of the book would be made.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm actually pretty fond of both the source material which I read rather recently and the first movie (only the first movie). I do agree they are only slightly related and there is shenanigans on the part of the director who didn't like the source material and had some issues with the military culture of it. With all the stupid reboots we get from Hollywood I'd like to see them do justice to the book. And without the Nazi parallels.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:

Denise Richards was in her prime in that movie too. A 90’s Richards, wow!

Gary Busey’s kid was actually pretty funny in it as well. “You don’t deserve that!”

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I like the Avalon Hill game, wish that I got to play it more.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:

Denise Richards was in her prime in that movie too. A 90’s Richards, wow!

Gary Busey’s kid was actually pretty funny in it as well. “You don’t deserve that!”

You can keep Denise Richards; I’ll take that red-headed Dina Meyer over Denise R any day of the week. And the Busey kid played “Dixie” on his electronic violin. Wonder how that would go over if re-made today?

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I'm actually pretty fond of both the source material which I read rather recently and the first movie (only the first movie). I do agree they are only slightly related and there is shenanigans on the part of the director who didn't like the source material and had some issues with the military culture of it. With all the stupid reboots we get from Hollywood I'd like to see them do justice to the book. And without the Nazi parallels.

I came here to pretty much post this exactly.

That being said, I never understood why they didn't just nuke them from orbit. Why did they need boots on the ground? I know, I know. No story otherwise.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post