SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Hap and Leonard (Netflix and Sundance)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hap and Leonard (Netflix and Sundance) Login/Join 
Picture of billnchristy
posted
Anyone watched (watching) this series? If not, do it, the first season is just 6 episodes so you can barrel through them pretty easily.

Great show in my opinion, my only bitch is the blatant and persistency of shoving gay shit in our face, but since these books were written before that was the standard, I guess they can get a pass.

Basic story, 2 losers get into some serious shit with a group of hippies and some psychos.

It's a funny show but serious at the same time, seriously worth looking at.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I watched the first season and enjoyed it. Recording the second season now. Worth a watch.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I liked it. I didn't see the blatant/persistent gay stuff though. Yeah, there were a few cracks about early on, but if my best friend were gay, I'd make cracks too. LOL Only time it went kinda overboard was when the 'peaceniks' and the psycho found out about it.

But yeah, it was a fun series.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Joe R. Lansdale has always been one of my favorite writers. I was a fan since his earlier stuff in the '80s when he wrote a bunch of dark twisted disturbing horror stories. He burned out on writing those and switched to pulpy Southern Gothic crime fiction like the Hap & Leonard series, which I also really enjoy. I think the TV series does an impressive job of adapting the books. I even like James Purefoy's performance as Hap, and I really was annoyed by his all-powerful serial killer character in The Following.

The guys that produce the TV series also adapted Lansdale's Cold in July into an excellent film in 2014 starring Don Johnson, Sam Shepard, and Michael C. Hall.

quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Yeah, there were a few cracks about early on, but if my best friend were gay, I'd make cracks too.

One of the things I like about the Hap & Leonard world, at least in the books, is that EVERYONE has a dry snide smart-alecky mouth, no matter if they're a 6-year-old kid or an 80-year-old grandma.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
It was the scene with the nurse, but I have seen worse, like sense8.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Watched the first season and thought it was pretty good. I might pick up on it again at some point.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was fantastic. The characters were just abnormal enough to be really interesting. The villains even more so than Hap and Leonard. And it takes some doing to be farther off than a conservative, gay, black, Vietnam veteran, country music fan in the 80s.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was great. The characters were just off beat enough to be really entertaining, without being too far divorced from reality. The villains were really out there - and it takes some doing, to top a conservative, gay, black, country music loving, Vietnam veteran.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
Joe R. Lansdale has always been one of my favorite writers. I was a fan since his earlier stuff in the '80s when he wrote a bunch of dark twisted disturbing horror stories. He burned out on writing those and switched to pulpy Southern Gothic crime fiction like the Hap & Leonard series,

He's still writing horror fiction...I buy just about everything he publishes, and I'd guess it to be around a 60/40 split these days (w/ mystery/suspense at 60). The horror stuff does tend to be mostly short fiction, though -- that said, however, he did just come out with HELL'S BOUNTY, a "weird western" horror novel.

quote:

One of the things I like about the Hap & Leonard world, at least in the books, is that EVERYONE has a dry snide smart-alecky mouth, no matter if they're a 6-year-old kid or an 80-year-old grandma.

That's one of things that, for me, has progressively turned me off the Hap and Leonard series. I recently put down HONKY TONK SAMURAI because it just got to be too much, and though I have it in my to-be-read pile, I'm wary about picking up his newest, RUSTY PUPPY, for the same reason. I'm a Lansdale fan from the earliest days of his career, but even for me that shared voice/tone/patter that all his characters seem to now share is getting to be too much.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
He's still writing horror fiction...I buy just about everything he publishes, and I'd guess it to be around a 60/40 split these days.

That's cool. I remember when Lansdale said he was going to dial back his horror because he didn't have that mindset anymore. Is his horror not as dark anymore, e.g. torture, cannibalism, people eating zombie whales and turning into rose monsters, God of the Razor wearing human heads on his feet, etc.?

quote:

I'm a Lansdale fan from the earliest days of his career, but even for me that shared voice/tone/patter that all his characters seem to now share is getting to be too much.

Now I'm curious! I'll have to track that one down. I wonder if that bother me too or not.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:

That's cool. I remember when Lansdale said he was going to dial back his horror because he didn't have that mindset anymore. Is his horror not as dark anymore, e.g. torture, cannibalism, people eating zombie whales and turning into rose monsters, God of the Razor wearing human heads on his feet, etc.?

On reflection, it's probably 75 / 25 these days, with horror the latter. I looked at what I've bought over the last decade of his work, and there does seem to be a more substantive shift than I'd thought earlier. And, no, no more God of the Razor stuff, though there was a recent'ish anthology around that character. His horror output of late seems to be in the weird western variety or wild steampump (e.g. FLAMING LONDON, etc.) or in the form of short stories in various anthos (and his own collections and editorial work). His full-length work -- even novellas like the recent COCO BUTTERNUT -- are indeed more mystery/suspense oriented.

quote:

I'm a Lansdale fan from the earliest days of his career, but even for me that shared voice/tone/patter that all his characters seem to now share is getting to be too much.

quote:
Now I'm curious! I'll have to track that one down. I wonder if that bother me too or not.

Probably not if you just read one/two/three...but after close to ten of these Hap & Leonard novels, it's gets a little old...plus I think that's an authorial quirk that has gotten worse as time has gone on, as I don't recall having this issue with his work in the earlier installments of the H & L series.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
Anyone watched (watching) this series? If not, do it, the first season is just 6 episodes so you can barrel through them pretty easily.

Great show in my opinion, my only bitch is the blatant and persistency of shoving gay shit in our face, but since these books were written before that was the standard, I guess they can get a pass.

Basic story, 2 losers get into some serious shit with a group of hippies and some psychos.

It's a funny show but serious at the same time, seriously worth looking at.

I just caught this show and already on Season Two.
Pretty good stuff. Cool
PS...It also annoys me about the gay shit too but everyone is cramming it on every show now. Eek

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post