SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What would Rush be if they had hired a top notch vocalist?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would Rush be if they had hired a top notch vocalist? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I honestly can't stand listening to Rush. The vocals just ruin it all for me.

It's the same with every band I don't like. Can't listen to Pearl Jam, Guns n Roses, Pantera or Stone Temple Pilots for the same reason. Of course of all these bands, Rush is by far the cheesiest.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
I don't disparage the group. The vocals do hold them back. Listen to "The Trees". Could be such an iconic song, but as it it is recorded the vocals are often obscured into the music.

I heard the trees from a band with a female vocalist. She nailed it. It was fantastic.

ANy chance there is a link online of the performance?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Rush is my favorite band, by a long shot. That being said, I do wonder how they would have sounded with a different vocalist. Speaking in terms of albums past, I don't think Geddy was a bad singer, I just think the quality of his voice, the actual sound, appeals to very very few people. As much as I love their music, to me it rarely if ever reached emotional places it could have with the right voice out front. Geddy could hit every note perfectly, do everything "right," but I still think he would always have been limited by the "hardware" he was given. He simply lakes an emotive sound.

As far as how he sounds in concert now, yeah, it's pretty bad. I only saw them live a couple of times, years ago, and I though he was fine those times, at least relative to other rock bands. Youtube has plenty examples of high-profile rock bands who's vocals sound as bad or worse than Geddy did/does. Plenty of rock vocalists struggle live, even when all they have to do is sing. Geddy spent decades singing all the while playing the most complex bass parts in rock, playing keyboards, AND playing pedals with his feet at the same time. On all but their most recent live albums Geddy's vocals were decently close to the studio versions.

All that being said, if they'd of added a vocalist, I think the odds go way up the band might have broken up/undergone lineup changes years ago just due to the increased odds of conflict in the group. From what I can tell, Geddy has always been the glue that held the band together, that brought the musical elements together molded them into complete songs, and he probably also did most of the work in terms of managing the band and keeping them generally happy and on the same page. So, all in all, I think it was for the best they didn't add a vocalist. There might have been some even better songs, but not nearly as many great songs over the decades, I suspect.

As far as "greatest trio," it's certainly a matter of personal preference as far as whose music appeals to you, but as far as longevity, body of work, and still attracting fans, I don't think anyone else comes close.

Very well said IMO. I was a fan - but never a huge fan.

When I think of music from that era ... I think a singer like Steve Perry's voice 'type' could have helped them. Not Steve Perry 'actually' but a singer with his range, style, projection, ability to sustain a note, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0

I am not a musician though so I could be completely wrong. Just my opinion.

I was explaining Rush to my teenager recently - who IS a musician - and she understood them quite well.

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps could have been a Canadian version Queen.

Posts: 369 | Registered: April 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
can't stand Rush

good musicians but the vocals just shake my insides like fingernails on a chalk board

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Ann Wilson. Nailed it. Would have been as big as the Beatles. Holla

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
I don't disparage the group. The vocals do hold them back. Listen to "The Trees". Could be such an iconic song, but as it it is recorded the vocals are often obscured into the music.

I heard the trees from a band with a female vocalist. She nailed it. It was fantastic.

ANy chance there is a link online of the performance?

I have looked and cannot find it. It was on YouTube.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:

"greatest musical trio ever"... Um, I think Cream could give them a run for their money. And The Jimi Hendrix Experience, and Traffic from the John Barleycorn era, and...

Don't disillusion them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

It's the same with every band I don't like. Can't listen to Pearl Jam, Guns n Roses, Pantera or Stone Temple Pilots for the same reason. Of course of all these bands, Rush is by far the cheesiest.

Right there with you, Mark. Except swap out the last two bands you mentioned for Neil Young and Bob Dylan and those are my "can't stands." I struggle to put into words how negatively I feel about Geddy Lee's voice. If not for him, I could probably really enjoy the music and dig in, but as it is, whenever a Rush song comes on, I immediately change the station if I have a choice.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I grew up listening to Rush. I still enjoy listening to them. Geddy Lee has a distinct voice, and it is hard to think of Flight By Night with another person on vocals.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Right there with you, Mark. Except swap out the last two bands you mentioned for Neil Young and Bob Dylan and those are my "can't stands." I struggle to put into words how negatively I feel about Geddy Lee's voice. If not for him, I could probably really enjoy the music and dig in, but as it is, whenever a Rush song comes on, I immediately change the station if I have a choice.

Bob Dylan,

excellent songwriter,,

horrible singer

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a great scene from a pretty friggin funny movie.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geddy's vocals, while creating a unique niche, held them back from being a superband.

Ummm, I'd say they reached "superband" status quite along time ago. Confused

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
They are a niche band not because of Lee's vocals but because they play highly technical nerd rock. Their music simply does not appeal to the masses who want a 4/4 time signature, a hook, and sing-along melodies.

There are no other big-time prog bands, either. Rush is the most commercially successful prog band of all time, I'm guessing. And they are commercially successful because of a few song that managed to go mainstream because they had more of a hook (even if it was in 7/8 time.)

Styx, Yes, Genesis... all the same story. They all had great singers, much better than Geddy Lee, but they are still all niche bands.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I think that without Geddy Lee Rush would not be Rush, they play great together.

And after this it is time to listen to them again.

They were the first concert I saw, Gary More opened for them.

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
I think that without Geddy Lee, Rush would not be Rush...

This right here.

And from an instrumental musical perspective, it's the likes of Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, John Entwistle (to a lesser degree), et. al., that placed the bass guitar in the forefront of Rock as a lead instrument, instead of something in the background standing behind the drummer just playing 4 notes as the root of every chord.

YYZ for example (and this guy is probably not considered to be that good)....

https://youtu.be/L1uP6nGFLYo

(Could someone please embed this vid.....don't know how from iPad) Mad

I'm home on the computer...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: erj_pilot,

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Well you know we've hit a real nerve when jhe888 pops in to humor us with his pious pity ... LOL!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paul Rodgers singing for Rush??? I guess some people prefer mediocrity like Bad Company's pop/radio fluff to real musicianship with a distinct sound and quality lyrics. Hell, he couldn't even get it done with one of the top 5 guitarists of all time in Jimmy Page and The Firm.

I'll take Geddy Lee over any of the auto-tuned crapola on the radio now anytime. Long live Rush and please get back out on tour one more time so that I might be able to take a few friends' kids to show them what real music is all about!

Posts: 3 | Location: Lafayette, IN | Registered: February 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
What defines a "superband?" Longevity? Rush can certainly hold their own there. Income? They seem to be living pretty well. Popularity? Granted, they don't have the 'across-the-board' popularity of the Beatles or the Rolling Stones (both of whom I'd call "superbands") but they certainly filled arenas for decades.

Rush simply would not be Rush without Geddy Lee. Just as if they would not be Rush if John Rutsey had stayed on.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yamaha SHO:
Paul Rodgers singing for Rush??? I guess some people prefer mediocrity like Bad Company's pop/radio fluff to real musicianship with a distinct sound and quality lyrics. Hell, he couldn't even get it done with one of the top 5 guitarists of all time in Jimmy Page and The Firm.

No, don't go there.
Paul Rodgers is spectacularly talented even if you can't see it. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post