SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What would Rush be if they had hired a top notch vocalist?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would Rush be if they had hired a top notch vocalist? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Top notch? They have been a large venue act for over 30 years.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yamaha SHO:
I'll take Geddy Lee over any of the auto-tuned crapola on the radio now anytime.

It's funny that folks think a band would improve with excellent, technically superior vocals.

Great rock music has little to do with technically spot on vocals. I can't imagine Paul Rodgers taking over Mick Jagger's duties, who is not a great technical singer by any stretch. Same with Eric Clapton, Johnny Rotten from the Sex Pistols, David Lee Roth, Paul Westerberg of The Replacements, Joe Strummer from The Clash, Johnny Cash, etc. etc.

God Bless Bob Dylan, not everyone's cup of tea as far as singing, but I consider the guy one of rock's premier "voices". Far more interesting than some bland guy who can hit the notes all of the time.

A great rock singer is more than multiple octaves, 100% in tune, gymnastic tricks. I want believability, character, a unique voice unlike others. "Good singers" are a dime a dozen. American Idol proved that.

A great rock 'n' roll frontman is a rare commodity. and I can't imagine "Limelight" without Geddy singing the song.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post