SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What would Rush be if they had hired a top notch vocalist?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would Rush be if they had hired a top notch vocalist? Login/Join 
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yamaha SHO:
Paul Rodgers singing for Rush??? I guess some people prefer mediocrity like Bad Company's pop/radio fluff to real musicianship with a distinct sound and quality lyrics. Hell, he couldn't even get it done with one of the top 5 guitarists of all time in Jimmy Page and The Firm.

I'll take Geddy Lee over any of the auto-tuned crapola on the radio now anytime. Long live Rush and please get back out on tour one more time so that I might be able to take a few friends' kids to show them what real music is all about!

This right here is an EPIC first post!!

I already said some of my piece, but here's the thing, either you "get" Rush, or you don't. Nothing about them could be improved by a different singer. They would not be Rush.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I "get" Rush. I never ever tire of them. If I had to choose one and only one musician/band to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be Rush. Wondering what they might have sounded like with a different vocalist isn't some kind of sacrilege.

I think Tommy Shaw might have been a great addition to the band, had he not wound up in Styx. Strong lead vocals and can hit the same range as Geddy, solid on guitar, good song writer, loves to jam. He's a rocker and hated the direction Dennis DeYoung forced Styx to take. Every Rush song I imagine him singing sounds great to my mind's ear. I think he would have fit their style, but added the emotional element to their sound they usually lack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBMWsqXr06A

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

And from an instrumental musical perspective, it's the likes of Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, John Entwistle (to a lesser degree), et. al., that placed the bass guitar in the forefront of Rock as a lead instrument, instead of something in the background standing behind the drummer just playing 4 notes as the root of every chord.

I seem to recall a bad that achieved moderate success with the lead being the bass player

McCartney was his name I think, and he had a garage band called The Beatles

they did OK

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^ McCartney and the Beatles were, of course, great. He's a good bassist, but didn't inspire legions of teen males to actually want to play the instrument because they suddenly thought you could be a badass by doing it well, I don't think. Geddy Lee actually excited people about the bass, which is no small feat. I remember listening to Rush songs as a teen and at times just focusing on the bass. Even to this day I hear things Geddy played 30 years ago and think "oh wow, I don't remember hearing THAT before...very cool!"

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
In response to OP:

They would'nt be Rush - they'd be some other band.

That's like having someone other than Plant sing for Led Zep.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I seem to recall a bad that achieved moderate success with the lead being the bass player

McCartney was his name I think, and he had a garage band called The Beatles

they did OK

quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
^^^ McCartney and the Beatles were, of course, great. He's a good bassist, but didn't inspire legions of teen males to actually want to play the instrument because they suddenly thought you could be a badass by doing it well, I don't think. Geddy Lee actually excited people about the bass, which is no small feat. I remember listening to Rush songs as a teen and at times just focusing on the bass. Even to this day I hear things Geddy played 30 years ago and think "oh wow, I don't remember hearing THAT before...very cool!"

rusbro nailed it. I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Sir Paul and what the Beatles did, but even I could play/cover the Beatles bass line, with a little practice, back when I was playing. Cover Geddy?? Me...not so much. Again...refer to my post above and just watch the fingering of the guy covering YYZ. Playing a bass like a lead instrument in addition to chording is what the likes of Geddy and Chris (R.I.P, Chris Frown) introduced to the bassist world.

Here...I'll post it again:

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
some people need to spend some time listening to the Beatles with the stereo panned all the way to the left.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would Rush be if they had hired a top notch vocalist?

It would never have occurred to me to ask this.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
some people need to spend some time listening to the Beatles with the stereo panned all the way to the left.

Oddly enough that you mention that...

Enjoy!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Rush would be worth listening to if it had ANY singer other than Geddy Lee or Celine Dion

they are unbearable with his screech

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rush would be worth listening to if it had ANY singer other than Geddy Lee or Celine Dion

THEN THEY WOULDN'T BE RUSH...they'd be "Delay". How simple of a concept is that to get. I could say the same thing about The Beatles...they would be worth listening to if they had someone other than John Lennon...then they'd be "The Bole Weevils". Jeezus.....Rush features Geddy Lee. If you don't like him, then don't friggin' listen.

And I'm not even that big of a Rush fan. It's just that some of y'alls debate on the topic is beyond inane. Geddy Lee's voice is what makes the group DISTINCT, and when you hear it, you say, "Ahhh...That's Rush!" Whaddya want? Tom Sawyer sung by Tony Bennett? Roll Eyes

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The only song that I know from Rush is Tom Sawyer. Part of the reason for that is that the vocalist is, to me, annoyingly high-pitched. It seemed to me that Tom Petty is of the style but much more listenable. Did he do Rush covers?.

Another successful band with a bass-vocalist was X. John Doe and Exene Cervenka vocalizing Rush covers could have been interesting.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:

THEN THEY WOULDN'T BE RUSH...they'd be "Delay". How simple of a concept is that to get. I could say the same thing about The Beatles...they would be worth listening to if they had someone other than John Lennon...then they'd be "The Bole Weevils". Jeezus.....Rush features Geddy Lee. If you don't like him, then don't friggin' listen.

And I'm not even that big of a Rush fan. It's just that some of y'alls debate on the topic is beyond inane. Geddy Lee's voice is what makes the group DISTINCT, and when you hear it, you say, "Ahhh...That's Rush!" Whaddya want? Tom Sawyer sung by Tony Bennett? Roll Eyes

I would actually like to hear a cover by Tony Bennett or even Tom Jones, ,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
The only song that I know from Rush is Tom Sawyer. Part of the reason for that is that the vocalist is, to me, annoyingly high-pitched. It seemed to me that Tom Petty is of the style but much more listenable. Did he do Rush covers?.

Another successful band with a bass-vocalist was X. John Doe and Exene Cervenka vocalizing Rush covers could have been interesting.

tom petty,,

bob Dylan lite to me, (as in very annoying voice)

X would be excellent

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

I never got to hear Geddy live before he lost his voice, and it's so bad now that it's not worth it. But it remains a mainstay in my music repertoire.

What? I've seen every tour since Signals and I think he sounded better at the end.

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:

I disagree - Rush is the name of the band, not the name of the singer

it would still be Rush, but much better vocals with someone else

I didn't say to replace Lee on bass

they are all fine musicians - they just spoil it with his singing

I hear a Rush song and I change the station

bands go through a lot of singers in their life span - some good and some bad

my opinion is that he's a bad singer

like it, don't like it - I don't care but it won't change my opinion - Rush would be a much better band with a better singer

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Maybe some of the people in this thread are looking at it from the perspective of, if a lead vocalist was added now, or at least after Rush had already developed a fan base. I'm looking at it from the perspective of if they had vocalist all along who could sing as well as the players can play. Had that been the case, THAT would be the only Rush we knew, and thus people would get up in arms big time if that vocalist left and Lee took over that role, instead.

Again, I love Rush above all other bands, by a long shot. There's nothing wrong with imagining what they might have sounded like with a different lead vocalist. If you don't want to do that, that's fine.

Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
It's all about the lyrics for me. Analog Kid, Limelight those words need to be handled with care.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If they had Ozzy as front man, we would call them Black Sabbath...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Here is Rush with another, inferior, drummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qezwXjFpW-g

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post