SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Death Valley Days
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Death Valley Days Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Anyone else watching this on GRIT TV? It comes on here at 10:00 PM and I've been staying up to watch it for the last 3 nights (4 half hour episodes). I think they started with episode one, How Death Valley got it's name.

Last night was the first time that I recognized someone. It was a very young Jim Davis AKA Josh Ewing of the Dallas show.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
almost daily ,
I never realized it until watching the credits , but we have visited about 75% of the locations , where they filmed, while living in CA, CO and AZ.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
almost daily ,
I never realized it until watching the credits , but we have visited about 75% of the locations , where they filmed, while living in CA, CO and AZ.

Memories of hearing/watching this on radio/TV in the 1950's. But nowadays, no.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not realize it when I was watching at the age of 8 or 10, but I'd say that about 50% of the people on death valley days were also seen on 15 other tv shows in that era. maybe three or four times.

I know for a fact that I've seen four of the actors on four other shows, on the same day !

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can't vouch for the earlier years of this series, but the latter years of it in the late 1960s were broadcast in syndication in my part of the country in the early 1970s.
I seem to recall that the budget for the series was small. I recall one particular episode with Strother Martin. He's an old miner who finally finds a huge vein of silver. The show didn't even have the budget for a shot that might resemble a vein of silver. They just showed Martin and his sidekick standing there saying "There it is!" Even at that young age, I noticed this lack of production values.

At any rate, back then, the volume of TV programming was a mere drop in the bucket of what it is these days, and beggars couldn't be choosers. It was an OK series.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I got curious and wondered if I could find the episode. Here it is. Go to the 22 minute mark and you'll see the scene I was referring to. I didn't recall Jamie Farr being in the scene.

Not bad for having seen this episode one time only, probably 46 or so years ago.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's one amazing memory, sir.
I noticed that Jamie Farr played a character called Dick Gird. That was the name of one of the Tombstonians that Wyatt Earp faced down at the end of that movie, when he was saving Johnny behind the deuce. FWIW.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We watch it on Encore Western channel on Dish net. They have two episodes every evening.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
18 seasons !
452 episodes ( per wiki )

another watchable tv show of that time period with limited production dollars was Zane grey theatre

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
The following episode is based on the real-life events of my great-great grandfather and grandmother - David and Wilhelmina Cannon:

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they kind of rush through the credits at the end

posted Hide Post
We watched it when I was a kid. When it came on Encore in reruns, I watched a few episodes and was astonished at the poor production values. It's funny how childhood memories vary from adult perceptions.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Remember the guy selling Boraxo?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post