Tools

A star is born Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

So watching the clip on page one you don’t think that’s talent? I think your judgement is clouded. You may not like something...for instance I could give two shits about someone who plays a mean trumbone....but that doesn’t mean I think they don’t have talent.

I said the type of music she does, perhaps reread what I typed. Bieber has talent doesn’t mean his music is worth two shits.

quote:
I don’t think she is talented...

Can't imagine where he got the idea you don't think she's talented. Big Grin

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So watching the clip on page one you don’t think that’s talent? I think your judgement is clouded. You may not like something...for instance I could give two shits about someone who plays a mean trumbone....but that doesn’t mean I think they don’t have talent.

I said the type of music she does, perhaps reread what I typed. Bieber has talent doesn’t mean his music is worth two shits.

Your first line was “I don’t think she is talented.” Regardless what you said next your first sentence states you don’t think she has talent. The way you worded it makes it seem like you don’t think anyone who makes pop music has talent. The entire genre is devoid of talent.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
had free tickets - saw it last night.

Solid 7 out of 10. Ran a bit long - probably could have shaved off 20 mins and still had a good movie.

The first half is the happy part - the second half not so much.

Some really good scenes and performing. I have never seen any of the originals so I can't compare - but as a modern version I think it was well done.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The soundtrack jams.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your first line was “I don’t think she is talented.” Regardless what you said next your first sentence states you don’t think she has talent. The way you worded it makes it seem like you don’t think anyone who makes pop music has talent. The entire genre is devoid of talent.

It mostly is. Have you listened to pop music today? Cheese is cheese. Sorry dude if you don’t like my opinion. I was in the music business for 20 years and am opinionated. People make music to make art, and great music, or they make music to make money appeasing to the “mainstream”. Sometimes that can be both but it is rare. She makes cheese in my opinion, straight velveeta.
Either way, don’t understand why you are getting worked up about this. Opinions vary.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, no matter how great it is, Ill never watch it. I cant stomach Gaga. Ever.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
You’re missing out then. Because it isn’t Gaga. It’s Stefani Germanotta. And you get to see someone with amazing talent in a completely different light

Gaga is a persona. No different than bozo the clown was a persona. Take off the makeup and you have an extremely talented young lady who was great in this role.

quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
Unfortunately, no matter how great it is, Ill never watch it. I cant stomach Gaga. Ever.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
You’re missing out then. Because it isn’t Gaga. It’s Stefani Germanotta. And you get to see someone with amazing talent in a completely different light

Gaga is a persona. No different than bozo the clown was a persona. Take off the makeup and you have an extremely talented young lady who was great in this role.

quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):

Who was it on that show the lop eared SOB on the late show on CBS had on? Was it Gaga or Stefani Germanotta that was dogging our President and Supreme Court Justice?

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Who cares? This thread isn’t about politics. I could give a shit about her politics. She is entitled to her opinion the same as any of us. It doesn’t mean shit to me. I don’t care about her IQ, her politics, or her shoe size. The reason these people keep spouting off is because people (like you) place value in what they say, whether positively or negatively. Ignore it.

All I care about is she can sing and was in a movie that entertained my wife and I for two hours.

Why are you watching the late shows anyway? You know what they’re going to say, and you know they’re going to upset you. Why willingly put yourself in that position?

You’re entitled to not watch the movie because you hate her politics. But why bring that into a thread for those of us that did want to watch it? There are plenty of threads about politics and political vitriol. Shit, maybe I should start a “celebrities we hate and boycott because of their politics thread” and all of that can just go there, and then in threads like this we can just enjoy the movie.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw it with my wife. It was solidly entertaining, as many others have noted. Lady Gaga can sing, and act decently, whatever her politics might be. I did not care for the ending, but I very recently had a very old friend make the same decision in real life.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Who cares? This thread isn’t about politics. I could give a shit about her politics. She is entitled to her opinion the same as any of us. It doesn’t mean shit to me. I don’t care about her IQ, her politics, or her shoe size. The reason these people keep spouting off is because people (like you) place value in what they say, whether positively or negatively. Ignore it.

All I care about is she can sing and was in a movie that entertained my wife and I for two hours.

Why are you watching the late shows anyway? You know what they’re going to say, and you know they’re going to upset you. Why willingly put yourself in that position?

You’re entitled to not watch the movie because you hate her politics. But why bring that into a thread for those of us that did want to watch it? There are plenty of threads about politics and political vitriol. Shit, maybe I should start a “celebrities we hate and boycott because of their politics thread” and all of that can just go there, and then in threads like this we can just enjoy the movie.

This. I find it interesting when people go out of their way to post in a thread like this when they have no intention to see the movie. We get it you have incredible integrity and will not allow your eyes or ears to by sullied by the liberal assault of the Gaga....take it somewhere else. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My wife wants to see this movie. Based on the reaction here I will go with her. I was not a fan of Gaga really until the 2015 Oscars when she did a tribute to The Sound of Music. Absolutely blew me away. The woman can sing.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Wingfoot and I went and saw it and we both liked it. The girl does have a set of pipes on her and not a bad job of acting for her first big role.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed it.
I never liked the original. The Garland/Mason version is just okay.
I was dragged to the Streisand version when I was a kid and didn't appreciate it until later in life.
Cooper/Gaga version I'd give a solid 8/10.
Not as good as La La Land.
Not a Cooper fan, but I love me some Gaga.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo_efYhYU2A

Para, have you watched this clip? The vocals are incredible. I want to see this movie because of this clip.

Posts: 2041 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
extended trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPxGl3B2I4A

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Lady Gaga...anti-gun, pro gun-control, PETA extremist...no thanks. Not something/someone that I am willing to overlook. I don't need to support and give props to people like that, no matter how talented they might be.

It's that simple.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Great Movie. The end was not great, but the rest was awesome.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the movie last weekend with my wife. I can second what others said here - great, and powerful, movie.

Bradley Cooper did excellent work, and so did Stefani Germanotta/L.G.

Posts: 717 | Location: South Germany | Registered: February 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post