Find
Notify
Tools

A star is born Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i liked it. 9/10.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Wait, Bradley Cooper actually sang that?

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

One interview I saw he said that he had taken 18 months of voice/coaching lessons.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motoboy:
^^^^^

One interview I saw he said that he had taken 18 months of voice/coaching lessons.

Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam is a friend of his and coached him too

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
if you're on the fence (or near it) on this one just go and see it. i like Bradley Cooper. they even played Clint Eastood's The Mule trailer, which also stars Cooper. Lady Gaga? she did fine. she even channeled [ Liza Minnelli's role in Author (1981) and the dad and daughter raport with Andrew Dice Clay ].

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Lady Gaga"?? Good God. Why in the world would you subject yourself to that?? This is a remake of a remake of a remake. Hollywood is completely out of new ideas, but people who PAY to see crap like this make it perfectly OK for those phonies to keep regurgitating the same old shit every few years.

If you lay down money to see shit like this, you aren't helping matters.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see your point , I can not remember a movie remake that turned out to be better than the original,

i.m.o. , gaga has a much better than average voice, I disliked the B.S./ kristoferson version very much, Cooper is not a very poor actor.

worst case scenario , it is the worst of two movies , that Ive seen in the last ten years

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If Hollywood stopped producing films, I don't think I'd even notice.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have never seen any of the previous films, never struck my fancy. Also I'm not a fan of movies with actors pretending to be rock stars, it just doesn't work in my mind. But something like The Last Waltz, that's completely different.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Was all in until I saw Gaga.

What, you don't like talented singers and entertainers?

I'm not all that excited about a remake, though.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

I don’t think she is talented, at least the type of music she does (pop). And she dresses up for Halloween every performance. Sorry not a fan.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't care for Gaga's normal pop, but she can sing. When she does music I like, she is very good. She is like Miley Cyrus in that - I don't like their genres, but they can sing and perform.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don’t think she is talented, at least the type of music she does (pop). And she dresses up for Halloween every performance. Sorry not a fan.

So watching the clip on page one you don’t think that’s talent? I think your judgement is clouded. You may not like something...for instance I could give two shits about someone who plays a mean trumbone....but that doesn’t mean I think they don’t have talent.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't care for Gaga's normal pop, but she can sing. When she does music I like, she is very good.

She can actually sing, she can actually play several instruments, and she actually writes her own songs, which is already more than you can say about 95 percent of her competitors. Her own stuff is hit-and-miss for me - I liked "Pokerface" and "Alejandro", and positively love "Paparazzi", others not so much; don't actually care a lot for her newer more down-to-earth songs. But her collaborations with folks with completely different styles like Tony Bennett and Sting are goosebump material.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
w/ Elton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfui4q9XTdk

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Wait, Bradley Cooper actually sang that?

I read that Gaga signed on to do the film on condition that Cooper did his own singing.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I just got back from seeing this with my wife...kinda. She only had to wake me up once, because I was snoring. Cooper and Gaga have nice voices, but the (same old-same old) storyline really couldn't keep my interest. Of course Andrew Dice Clay was very good as Gaga's father (took a couple minutes to match the name with the voice) and Same Elliott has some great scenes that he just chews up with the ease of a guy who's "been there-done that" (character) so many times before.

Final analysis: The wife or girlfriend will appreciate you're willingness to take them to see this, but that's about it for me. The popcorn was okay.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
My wife and I went today. I really enjoyed it. The music was great. I have not seen any of the previous versions so I can’t compare them.

As for you guys getting down on Gaga, she did very well. I am not a fan of pop but she can sing. She does a lot of non-pop stuff in the film. In fact, I see her character as a condemnation of the current pop singing culture. I wonder if is going to impact her style in the future.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Saw it this weekend. Copper’s character’s ultimate fate rang a bit false and generally strained credulity, all things considered, but all in all it was a decent film with a great performance by Cooper...good soundtrack, too, with some great country-rock originals. 7/10.

A preview for Clint Eastwood’s The Mule looked darn good.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

So watching the clip on page one you don’t think that’s talent? I think your judgement is clouded. You may not like something...for instance I could give two shits about someone who plays a mean trumbone....but that doesn’t mean I think they don’t have talent.

I said the type of music she does, perhaps reread what I typed. Bieber has talent doesn’t mean his music is worth two shits.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post