Find
Notify
Tools

Vanishing point Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Movie 1971

Interestingly it holds up pretty well for the period of the piece. Watched the UK version, which seems to be better.

Makes me want to go out in the desert and look for a Honda.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember (the US version) movie well.
It ended the only way it could end.........

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Movie 1971

Interestingly it holds up pretty well for the period of the piece. Watched the UK version, which seems to be better.

Makes me want to go out in the desert and look for a Honda.

You mean a honda riden by a naked hippy chick? Yeah, me too.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Watched the UK version, which seems to be better.

The UK version just has one added scene of Charlotte Rampling as the mysterious hitchhiker. It's cool - I agree the UK version is better because of it.

Vanishing Point is my favorite '70s movie. My dad took me when I was a kid to see a double feature of that playing with Death Race 2000. You know, there was nudity in both of those films, but I was so young, it didn't register.

I mentioned before in a post earlier this year that I drove through Cisco UT in 2011 where the beginning/ending of the film was filmed. The Shell station building where the bulldozers parked is still standing there after all these decades... ...barely.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Remember that movie well... I was 14 at that age and at a turning point.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
That's really cool, LCS.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The UK release is much better; the scenes of Kowalski picking up, talking with Ms. Rampling and getting stoned, then waking up the morning after (to find her gone) and taking a leak whilst the CHP roared by looking for him filled in a lot of missing story line.

Have wanted an Alpine White Dodge Challenger R/T ever since...

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Saw it went it first was released. My brother, friends, and I all had Mopar Muscle. The movie struck a chord. A couple years ago I found the DVD on sale and bought it. The wife and a couple of friends watched it. It didn’t have the same impact. We all wondered why it was so cool back in high school. Same with Easy Rider.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the Audioslave music video homage:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVXIK1xCRpY

I miss Chris Cornell

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
This takes me back!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38647 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
TCM just played it last week. It was on early am. I came a crossed it by accident as I couldn’t sleep. It was as good as I remember it long ago. If you have the TCM app, you can probably go back and watch it. Worth a try.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it on TCM too. And the Challengers were essentially stock.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The UK scene not in the US version

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvdrXJUGNzo

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not around for the original release, but I definitely enjoyed it as a kid. Then I'll watch pretty much anything with a car chase.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2736 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
By the way, as a huge fan of '70s carsploitation films, I did really like Quentin Tarantino's homage to Vanishing Point - Death Proof, first released in theaters as part of the Grindhouse double feature with Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror. I was amused that Zoë Bell's "character" would be so obsessed with Vanishing Point that she would travel all the way from New Zealand to America just to ride in, er, on, the white 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T from the film.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
Charlotte Rampling was very hot.

But, barring accident, we all get old, ugly and...get off my lawn!

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to see the film in 1970. After the film let out, we all walked out the the parking lot. There were a lot of muscle cars back then, Road Runners, Chargers, Mach 1 Mustangs, Camaros, etc. I remember everyone getting in their cars, revving the engines, and then, going "Nah, not worth dying for" and we all drove off.

"Evil can never be dead enough" Brevard County, Fla., sheriff Wayne Ivey

Posts: 83 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Birdvol:
Charlotte Rampling was very hot.

But, barring accident, we all get old, ugly and...get off my lawn!

IIRC, for a while in the late '60s/early '70s Charlotte was considered the sexiest woman alive. I had to look for the source(s) though.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Saw it went it first was released. My brother, friends, and I all had Mopar Muscle. The movie struck a chord. A couple years ago I found the DVD on sale and bought it. The wife and a couple of friends watched it. It didn’t have the same impact. We all wondered why it was so cool back in high school. Same with Easy Rider.

This, at the time 1971 it was a very cool movie....Watched it again in the mid 90's and wondered why? Why did I ever think it was a good movie. Maybe it was the smoke in my eyes and the anti-establishment times. Rebelling against authority was definitely in the air. And I think Easyrider was all about that same refrain.

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing it at the drive-in when I was little. The ending was a shock, but it didn’t bother me nearly as much as the ending of Dirty Mary Crazy Larry which I saw a year or two later. I really thought they were going to get away with it.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post