SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Eiger Sanction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Eiger Sanction Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
HBO showed The Eiger Sanction this afternoon. It had been a long time since I last saw the movie, and I cannot remember if I ever saw it unedited/uncut. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Great movie...well, at least really good

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to waste you a little bit, Pope.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Yup, it's on the list of classic movies that I get drawn into when I see them on. Great to see it in the release form, so many times I'm disappointed that they are run with all of the edits for language or such which changes the movie.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful mountains. And Brenda Venus.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Vonetta McGee.....as Jemma Brown!!!! Hubba-hubba!!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve in PA:
Vonetta McGee.....as Jemma Brown!!!! Hubba-hubba!!

I used to manage a video store in Berkeley CA. Vonetta and her husband, actor Carl Lumbly, were regular customers. They, along with their son Brandon, were the nicest, most awesome family. I always wanted to talk about Vonetta's roles in her blaxploitation films, but she was always embarrassed by them. I thought they were hella cool. Sadly, Vonetta passed in 2010.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Great movie, "screw Marlon Brando" Hahaha
I'm not a climber but this has to be considered the best Mountaineering film of all time? Eastwood did his own stunts and looked the part for sure.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites too.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Has one of my favorite lines (besides the beer in the pack scene) when they are trying to climb back down:

Anderl Meier: "You’re very good. I have really enjoyed climbing with you."

Dr. Jonathan Hemlock: "We’ll make it."

Anderl Meier: "I don’t think so. But we shall continue with style."

Hell, there is a video on Youtube of the scene:

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can somebody name the brand and model of the parka's they used?

Hint....they still exist and the payout resulted in making the company solvent.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Trevanian was pissed over the movie. He even alluded to it in a tiny footnote in Shibumi. He never allowed another of his books to be made into a movie.

But I have to say that I really liked the film.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

I have a few Sierra Design parkas and a couple Frostline kits on behalf of my amazing mom.

Don't know the exact model..

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Wow, Frostline kits. My wife still has the one she made for her Dad. How about Holubar tents?

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

I have a few Sierra Design parkas and a couple Frostline kits on behalf of my amazing mom.

Nope.
Pretty good though, SD is one of the old originals, surprised they're still around considering where their business has gone.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Wow, Frostline kits. My wife still has the one she made for her Dad. How about Holubar tents?

I had a Holubar tent that I won in a grand opening drawing of a Holubar Mountaineering store. The waterproofing later began to break down and it was replaced with a similar North Face tent, who had bought-out Holubar.

BTW, Holubar also had sew-it-yourself kits for down jackets. They were true pioneers in the mountaineering outfitting business. As I recall, they were the first to make "mountaineering parka," the waterproof, car coat length, hooded coat that became commonplace after its invention by the Holubars.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:

Unless Sierra Designs made some really big women's sizes, I'd say that image is reversed.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Trevanian was pissed over the movie. He even alluded to it in a tiny footnote in Shibumi. He never allowed another of his books to be made into a movie.

Too bad that Trevanian was anti-American. Shibumi just drips of it.

Both books were really good though. The Eiger Sanction movie was pretty good too.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
quote:

Both books were really good though. The Eiger Sanction movie was pretty good too.

Not really anti-American but very pro Japanese in Shibumi. He was anti-Chinese, anti-Russian, etc in Shibumi. What he wrote in Shibumi is what most Japanese felt towards Americans (and others such as the Chinese) from before WW2 up to now. In fact if you knew nothing of the game Go except what you read in Shibumi, you would think it was strictly a Japanese game and only the Japanese could play it correctly. Go is actually a Chinese game that came to Japan.

The book also reflected what the post war Japanese did, they ignored their history of war crimes and atrocities......though they did play up they had the Atom Bomb dropped on them twice.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
quote:

Not really anti-American but very pro Japanese in Shibumi. He was anti-Chinese, anti-Russian, etc in Shibumi. What he wrote in Shibumi is what most Japanese felt towards Americans (and others such as the Chinese) from before WW2 up to now. In fact if you knew nothing of the game Go except what you read in Shibumi, you would think it was strictly a Japanese game and only the Japanese could play it correctly. Go is actually a Chinese game that came to Japan.

The book also reflected what the post war Japanese did, they ignored their history of war crimes and atrocities......though they did play up they had the Atom Bomb dropped on them twice.

My opinion is that the tone was anti-american, coming from Trevanian more so than from the characters.

I play Go or Weiqi as they would call it in China and I am familiar with it's history. It can be said that Japan elevated the level of play far beyond what the Chinese had done, and did so in a relatively short period of time. In the period of time when events in the book take place, WWII and somewhat later, Japan was still superior to the Chinese in the play of Go. Of course since then the Koreans and Chinese have picked up their game considerably.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anderl Meier
The actor that played this role looks (and acts) as though he just hopped down off the wing of a Messerschmitt Bf-109. I like him.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post