SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Rise of Skywalker - Spoiler Discussions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rise of Skywalker - Spoiler Discussions Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
2 lezbos kissing? Sounds like a SJW’s dream.

Hard pass.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
It wasn’t bad. I actually will see it again. You really could go from 7 to 9 and skip 8 entirely and not miss much which seemed like part of the goal

Given the clusterfuck rian Johnson left for JJ abrams it definitely could have been a lot worse

I was expecting worse. I think JJ did about as good of job that he could with the mess Johnson created. Cheesy but at least it had somewhat of an ending.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
So Obi Wan could have just force healed Quaigon?

Why didn't Luke force heal Vader?

Why not Padme?

It's just that sort of BS they toss in there with disregard for everything else that ruins it for me.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dar185:

Given the clusterfuck rian Johnson left for JJ abrams it definitely could have been a lot worse

I want to know how they went from having like a dozen Resistance members left at the end of E.p 8 (that all could fit in the Falcon, remember?) and no equipment and spacecraft to Ep. 9 where it looks like they are fully restored in terms of personnel and craft?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I want to know how they went from having like a dozen Resistance members left at the end of E.p 8 (that all could fit in the Falcon, remember?) and no equipment and spacecraft to Ep. 9 where it looks like they are fully restored in terms of personnel and craft?

It was because of that kid with the broom (using the force, it would appear) at the end of Ep8. That, and the whole 'hope' BS thing they crammed in there. Po said that this dozen or so folks were 'the spark that will light the fire that will burn down the First Order,' or something along those lines.

Never mind that they called for help from Crait (you know, when they all thought they were going to be completely wiped out to the last man), and NO ONE came to assist. That tells me nobody cared.

So, they apparently conjured up this entire rebellion where none, and I mean NONE, existed before, and *poof* instant fleet.

I guess. I mean, they don't even TRY to come up with good writing anymore, so why try to interpret what they were trying to do. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:

Why not Padme?

It's just that sort of BS they toss in there with disregard for everything else that ruins it for me.

Is this the "new" power people are talking about?

Man... I'm with you.

I don't have a problem with "new" force powers being discovered. I don't. There's a raft full of force powers in the Expanded Universe that have never been shown on screen that would be epic to see with a Disney budget. The stuff Darth Bane and Darth Nihilus did makes everything we've seen on the big screen look like a total joke in comparison.

Something I quite enjoyed in Jedi Outcast was force speed. Basically, Matrix-like "bullet time," but if you think about what it would look like to anyone not using it, you'd simply look like the Flash. The only time we see it in any of the films is very early in The Phantom Menace, when Kenobi says "Master! Destroyers!" and he and Jinn both dart away in a blink. Why does that power not appear anywhere else? Because, to borrow a term from the gaming industry, it's a game-breaker.

If you can simply always just be blindingly fast, or cheat death, or have zero limits whatsoever, then you become god-like, and uninteresting. Why? Because the heart of a story is challenge, and struggle, and adversity and overcoming it. It's basic storywriting for a reason. Exposition, then the conflict, the climax, then the resolution, then the wrapping up of all plot ends. It's how we define a story. If you cannot die, there is no true conflict. It's part of what made the prequels so uninteresting the way they were written, because for all the drama Anakin went through, we always knew he was going to survive for three movies and become Vader.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
I'm seeing it Friday. My work rented out a theatre at Alamo Drafthouse and all expenses are paid for so the food will at least be worth it. I'm expecting pure garbage, my expectations couldn't be lower. I still vividly remember walking out of the theatre of The Last Jedi so confused and disappointed. I haven't watched it since, but I'm going to try to choke it down sometime before Friday.

Be prepared. It’s worse than the last one. And be sure to check out the women kissing each other at the end. Spoilers out the ass are out there. It’s awful.

That that was horrible.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Is this the "new" power people are talking about?

The 'force healing' thing was apparently done in the Expanded Universe. They also tried it in The Mandalorian - there was a scene in the second episode I think (when he takes on the Jawas) where his arm is wounded. Baby Yoda reaches out his arm and Mando just puts him back in the stroller.

So, it's a 'thing,' but bringing it up at the last minute smacks of a deus ex machina (which is just another term for, you guessed it, "Bad Writing."

quote:
If you can simply always just be blindingly fast, or cheat death, or have zero limits whatsoever, then you become god-like, and uninteresting. Why? Because the heart of a story is challenge, and struggle, and adversity and overcoming it.

This is why Superman movies are so hard. How can there be drama when there is no challenge? Capt marvel did a decent job, but in that first movie, she wasn't fully god-like until right at the end. Most of the movie, she was in mortal peril, albeit with cool powers that gave her parity with the plethora of bad guys trying to kill her. Then in Avengers Endgame they literally had to send her off the planet else she could have smote the entire bad guy fleet in less than 2 minutes.

This is also why so many people hate Rey so much. She is perfect and flawless in every way - the guy on "Honest Trailers" explained it like "So, it's the 'heros journey' without the journey.' At least Luke had to struggle with doubt, failure, and real opposition; AND he had to go through a real training regimen. But perfect little Rey shows up and masters the force in less than 3 minutes of screen time. BAD WRITING.

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll be hornswaggled. I liked it.

Guess I'll have to deviate from the haters at this point, and I'm as surprised as anyone. Perhaps it's knowing all the potholes left from TLJ, but I thought JJ Abrams did a creditable job shoring up the road and hitting the accelerator. I thought the pacing was ideal and plotline cohesive. Not what previewers said at all.

Yes, most of those patches involved retracing old footsteps, or outright stretches (Leia a trained Jedi Master?), but I got the feeling it was as light-handed as possible and obviously necessary.

Not a perfect movie, but from the very first I did get the feeling that it indeed was a Star Wars movie. My only real reservation was Rey declaring herself a Skywalker, but I get that it was done so the saga could continue (into 9 more installments?).

I think JJ came through on this one.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Yup, all these new characters.

I swear they only added it in the Mandalorian to sort of justify it in the movie. You notice right after that episode there is a 5min come watch the movie sneak peak.

These guys broke the universe canon, then "tried" to fix it and broke it more.

FWIW I really enjoy the Mandalorian. I cared more about that faceless character in two episodes than I have about any of the movie characters.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Saw ROS twice.
I enjoyed it, and despite obvious plot holes, JJ did the best he could to fix the mess that Johnson left in TLJ.

And the two chicks kissing...what's wrong with y'all, it was hot! Wink

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I don’t get the hang up on the chicks kissing. It’s literally 4 seconds of a 2.5 hour movie

quote:
Originally posted by agony:
Saw ROS twice.
I enjoyed it, and despite obvious plot holes, JJ did the best he could to fix the mess that Johnson left in TLJ.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saw ROS twice.

I agree. JJ had to clean up Rians mess, and do in one movie what he should have had two to do.

Kathleen Kennedy is responsible for not having a coherent strategy for the trilogy laid out before she began. The BS of TLJ forced JJ to rush through things in this one

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The one question I was hoping would get an answer is how Maz Kanata (who had a couple small parts) originally got a hold of Luke's first lightsaber.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
And there's been force healing since 1977:

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
And there's been force healing since 1977:

That's a huge can of nerd worms we probably don't wanna open here, but it's highly debatable. Suffice it to say, the settled "conclusion" on that scene was that he was sensing the extent of Luke's injuries, and concluded he was going to be fine on his own. This is echoed again in ROTS when the Emperor does the same with Anakin on Mustafar, whereupon he has him taken away on a litter and back to wherever for treatment. We saw how many scenes of Kylo doing the same motion while trying to read Mary Sue's mind? I've seen arguments about only Jedi having access to light side abilities like force healing, but nothing about it is ever said in any of the films before this point, and in George Lucas' vision, force users hold a hand up to someone's head to see what's going on in there. That's all I think we're seeing there.

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
The one question I was hoping would get an answer is how Maz Kanata (who had a couple small parts) originally got a hold of Luke's first lightsaber.

Here's a good one: Who is Maz Kanata? They don't really tell us.

Or who the fuck Snoke is? Was? Whatever?

Or who was was Captain Phasma? And why was it so important to have an utterly meaningless character in two films, other than to try to sell chrome-plated storm trooper toys?

Or why Captain Badass Solo decided to straight walk out on his family and forget where he parked the Millenium Falcon for a few decades?

Oh why....

Nevermind. You get the point. Bad writing and storyline via committee and focus group reactions. They weren't trying to tell us a meaningful story at any point, really. They were trying to sell us toys.

JJ Abrams should have been allowed to direct TLJ, from everything I'm reading and seeing. It's looking like he did his absolute best to salvage what he was handed, which was a smoking ruin with a whole boatload of plotlines that were either ruined or unrealized, or nigh unworkable. Whatever I think of Abrams, I can't stand Rian Johnson and I'll never willingly let another dollar go to anything he does.

I let this run in the background today, and it seemed pretty fair, based on everything I've seen or heard so far. And yes, it is 37 minutes long. It was shorter than sitting two hours in the theater, and cheaper, and I got some cleaning done while I listened, lol.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
At least Chewie finally got his medal

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's a good one: Who is Maz Kanata? They don't really tell us. Or who the fuck Snoke is? Was? Whatever?Or who was was Captain Phasma? And why was it so important to have an utterly meaningless character in two films, other than to try to sell chrome-plated storm trooper toys?Or why Captain Badass Solo decided to straight walk out on his family and forget where he parked the Millenium Falcon for a few decades?

Maz is just an old smuggler / cantina owner. She isn't really anyone important, just an old friend of Han and no friend to the Empire / First Order

Snoke was a clone / puppet for Palpatine. Not a great explanation, but at least it was something

Phasma was a wasted opportunity. Supposed to be the leader of the Stormtroopers, but just not used at all. Another victim of Rian Johnsons fuckery

Solo didn't just walk out on his family. Ben went to the dark side and joined Snoke, Luke ran off and hid. He and Leia basically separated / divorced which the loss of a child could do that. Han thought Ben was lost, basically dead now. Leia thought he could still be saved. Han left and went and did his thing with Chewie, Leia decided to fight the First Order and start up the Resistance because the New Republic wasn't going to, The Falcon was stolen from him, he was actively searching for it when Rey stole it and his scanners picked it up

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:

Why not Padme?

This was actually explained. Rey and Kylo were "a dyad in the force"

Palpatine says, a power like life itself, unseen in generations. Its not a common power to Jedi or Sith, just like their ability to move physical objects through space with the force

These things do have some history in the EU, but of course that isn't canon anymore. But healing powers have been explored, Jacen Solo experimented well outside of the "religion" of the Jedi or the Sith with other force users and powers. The Jedi and Sith aren't the only ones who can use it.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

But healing powers have been explored, Jacen Solo experimented well outside of the "religion" of the Jedi or the Sith with other force users and powers. The Jedi and Sith aren't the only ones who can use it.

As I stated above, The Mandalorian hinted at 'force healing,' and on this week's show (Episode 7), they flat out showed force healing. So, now it's cinematic canon alongside this new movie.