SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Rise of Skywalker - Spoiler Discussions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rise of Skywalker - Spoiler Discussions Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Star Wars
ESB
ROTJ
R1
To me these are the only Star Wars movies that exist anymore - the rest are mistakes. My kids have never been exposed to Ep 1-3. They kind of enjoyed Ep 7 because it was their first time seeing SW in the theater, but Ep 8 failed to grab their attention. I had planned to see Ep 9 in the theater just to finish it out, but I think I'll wait until it's free somewhere online in a couple months, just to be able to laugh at the shit.

quote:
Lucas’s prequels. That’s an easy one. Back in 1999 or whenever the fuck it was, we were all jazzed. Went to the biggest theater in the metro, had tickets, etc, and this was when you waited in line instead of clicking a month before. We had our tickets, waiting in line, as the first showing let out. People were chanting “Star Wars sucks!” And I mean people were pissed off, royally. Back in them days 20 years ago something like this meant standing on your feet for hours to get in. I have never before or since seen people that pissed off walking out of a film.
I recall vividly. I waited a week or so to see Ep1 and seeing the reviews though "it can't be THAT bad".... then I saw it... "ugh, that sucked...".

Don't forget Lucas fucking with Ep 4-6 repeatedly... either... the Greedo shot first, the Jabba addition in Ep 4, and changing the Vader / Anakin Force Ghost in Ep 6... and a bunch of other stupid additions / deletions / etc.

Soooo glad I have DVDs of the mostly original 4-6...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I need to have my mother dig out and ship me the VHS collection that was remastered and cleaned up a bit, but with original stuff un-fucked with. Better audio and they fixed some of the rotoscoping issues from some of the earliest shots featuring lightsabers, but otherwise CGI free. Arc posted a picture of his set recently and it really is the only way to watch the originals as they orginally were.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing it Friday. My work rented out a theatre at Alamo Drafthouse and all expenses are paid for so the food will at least be worth it. I'm expecting pure garbage, my expectations couldn't be lower. I still vividly remember walking out of the theatre of The Last Jedi so confused and disappointed. I haven't watched it since, but I'm going to try to choke it down sometime before Friday.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
I haven't watched it since, but I'm going to try to choke it down sometime before Friday.

That one, and the one that preceded it bear the dubious distinction of being the only Star Wars films I've only ever watched only once, and intend to never watch again. I'll probably force-feed myself the last one once it hits Netflix, just for closure.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
I'm seeing it Friday. My work rented out a theatre at Alamo Drafthouse and all expenses are paid for so the food will at least be worth it. I'm expecting pure garbage, my expectations couldn't be lower. I still vividly remember walking out of the theatre of The Last Jedi so confused and disappointed. I haven't watched it since, but I'm going to try to choke it down sometime before Friday.

Be prepared. It’s worse than the last one. And be sure to check out the women kissing each other at the end. Spoilers out the ass are out there. It’s awful.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The more I read and see about this one, the worse it gets. Ho-lee-fuck.

Watch for a series of resignations over the next year.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I am actually holding out hope for the new Star Wars, only because all of the reviews are terrible and the primary reason is that the film seems to "pander to its core fans, without any originality."

That's what I want! LOL

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The explanation I've heard for that kind of statement that seems to accurately qualify it is this: Ruin Johnson so thoroughly fucked this three film series sideways with his plot decisions in TLJ that Jar Jar Abrams had to basically create a whole new set of plot lines to explore in the first act. Tons of exposition.

I mean, if you think about it, there really wasn't a hell of a lot left to work with at the conclusion of TLJ. You have a handful of uninteresting characters and no real hint of where things are going. Now, I've heard the argument that "that's how Empire ended, though!" My retort is that The Last Jedi was a mosquito fart compared to the hurricane that was Empire Strikes Back. TLJ was an absolute joke of a film and it so pissed off the "core fans" that Solo tanked and they cancelled the Kenobi film. Jar Jar Abrams HAD to try to draw back some of the "core fans" in an attempt at damage control. That's looking like all this film is at this point, damage control. Which is a damn shame.

I could be fantastically wrong, but I think Disney is going to absolutely bleed money over this whole debacle.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I mean, if you think about it, there really wasn't a hell of a lot left to work with at the conclusion of TLJ. You have a handful of uninteresting characters and no real hint of where things are going.

And this is why I have no interest in the new movie. It has zero chance of being any good because TLJ was so bad.

It's really a shame what Disney did here. They had a chance to create a whole new generation of fans but they couldn't come up with three decent movies to ignite that fire. They have a deep hole to dig themselves out of moving forward.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Another criticism of this one that I keep seeing pop up is that it feels like nine films crammed into two hours. If this was meant to be the conclusion of the Skywalker portion of the story, then the last film certainly did no favors towards setting up this one in such a way that it could be smoothly executed.

The Knights of Ren are finally shown, but they have no dialog. They were first hinted at, and even leaked concept art and I believe there was the briefest shot of them in TFA. Why weren't they even mentioned in the last film? Bad writing.

There's apparently Snoke clones in bacta tanks in this film, and a few lines of dialog about it in an expository attempt to quickly explain him away. This was a complete waste of a character. Why wasn't more done with him in the second film? Bad writing.

I could go on, but at this point, it's looking like so much damage control and trying to salvage what Johnson did with the last film. And it all comes down to this: Bad writing.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Guess I will find out in three hours...

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The complete plot is on Wiki if you can't wait. (No, it don't look good.)

Episode IX

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Episode IX

Yeah that's a big hot mess. Almost hilarious.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if we should hammer Abrams for sending up this fustercluck, or give him credit for at least attempting to smother Ruin's smoldering wreck with nothing but a damp patchwork quilt.

And you're right about the writing. No amount of acting, direction, or lordhelpus CGI can compensate when the writing's bad.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Episode IX

Yeah that's a big hot mess. Almost hilarious.

More like a dumpster fire.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it tonight...I liked it better than Ep. 8, not that that is a huge feat. Didn't see the palpatine connection with Rey...figured she was Ben's twin or Luke's daughter. Neither death star in episodes 4 or 6 were destroyed near water planets, yet the shell of one was in this episode.

Nice cameo from Han, Lando, Luke, and even Wedge...a good nod to the real trilogy. I'm glad I saw this, but won't be joining the movie collection.

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Not particularly good, but considering how bad 8 was I’ll take it. There were a few stupid things I didn’t like and it def. was a cluster fuck, and the ending was rushed but eh. Coulda been worse

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I thought it was pretty good. They pretended episode 8 never happened, which is good. That was a steaming turd fire. There are a lot of hints of episode 6 in this.

They tried to explain her Mary Sue-ness even in the opening crawl and then the training scenes. Some new force powers, which I am ok with, there should be. Luke didn't really know shit, there should be new abilities.

Kind of a weak explanation of Snoke, but at least we got something.

Where the hell has that General been? Now he was a damn Imperial General, not a fucking keystone cops goofball like Hux.

I went in expecting to hate it, but was pleasantly surprised. There were some stupid things yes, but overall it was pretty good.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
OK. What. The. Fuck.

So now Leia is some Jedi master? Rey ran some obstacle courses and is the most powerful character in Star Wars ever?

The writing is cringey as hell.

I can't believe with all the money and pull the Disney machine has this is what we get. Trash.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It wasn’t bad. I actually will see it again. You really could go from 7 to 9 and skip 8 entirely and not miss much which seemed like part of the goal

Given the clusterfuck rian Johnson left for JJ abrams it definitely could have been a lot worse

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post