SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Rise of Skywalker - Spoiler Discussions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rise of Skywalker - Spoiler Discussions Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I liked it and agree with many that it has its quips though J.J. did a great job of reigning in that runaway train TLJ. I was kinda hoping Rey would Highlander Palpatine at the end cross blade style though he basically disintegrated so at least she got him. I liked the message that one can choose their own path regardless where they come from. Rey could have easily gone dark several times, but she never waivered and in the end her love and compassion saved Ben, ultimately making his death bittersweet.

Couple things that still confuse me though. First, so did emperor really want Rey dead? He told Kylo to kill her though was it just because he knew he couldn’t? Why wouldn’t he genuinely want to keep her alive to take the throne? So once he knew she wouldn’t turn and he could be strong again, his plan was to continue ruling alone?

Also, it was funny to me that after the land speed battle race they just happen to fall into that quicksand material and pretty much right below it is the dagger buried. Kinda funny of al the places to crash and land they didn’t have to walk more than 20 yards underground to find a key piece of the puzzle.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Maybe Rey was drawn to the dagger, much like she was drawn to Luke’s lightsaber under Maz’s cantina?

I was actually wondering why Rey didn't just force-levitate everybody out. She's pretty good with rocks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16318 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked it. I was interested, and I was transported back into the Star Wars universe, except for a few things. The stupid lesbian kiss. It pissed me off. Why did they need to pull me out of that universe and put me right back into our SJW mess of current politics. I hate the producers for that. But I’ll watch it again, I didn’t for E8

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
First reactions before I read anything in this thread:

I understand why a lot of people didn't like it. It was formulaic, at times predictable, and, well, a JJ Abrams flick. There were a few head-scratchers, a few obvious fan service moments, and some stuff that was just plain ridiculous.

All that said, it was a solid B-/C+ effort, like a lot of JJ Abrams stuff.. It's re-watchable, which is a lot more than can be said for Episode II and Episode VIII. It went out of its way to erase Episode VIII, which I appreciated. It was perhaps the least annoying C-3P0 has ever been.

The little mini droid-hacker guy? Decent.
Rey choosing the name Skywalker? I liked it.
Billy Dee Williams? Pretty good.
The Emperor? Overall good...force-lightning-ing the entire fleet was dumb.
Force-ghost Luke? Decent, but too long and too involved.
Battle on top of ships in atmosphere? Dumb.
Leia Jedi training? Meh.
Rey/Ren kiss? Ugh. Unnecessary.
Rey's lightsaber? I liked it.
Ren's salvation? Good enough.
The lesbian kiss? Who cares, it went by so fast a lot of people probably missed it.

Still left a lot of questions, but not questions that leave me going "What the f#%* were they thinking?!?" like Episode VIII, and overall decent acting, unlike Episodes I-III.

Ultimately, my expectations were exceeded, which only speaks to the fact that they were rock-bottom to begin with - but I'm satisfied enough.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
Saw ROS twice.
I enjoyed it, and despite obvious plot holes, JJ did the best he could to fix the mess that Johnson left in TLJ.

And the two chicks kissing...what's wrong with y'all, it was hot! Wink

You paid for it so enjoy it. The point is about Star Justice Wars doing this, is for it to be acceptable. Next go round you’ll get a bigger dose. If people accept this incessant SJW PC political agenda, it’s just going to keep coming. Until people say no, and vote with their wallet, it will not change. In fact it’s just going to get worse. Next you’ll get a tranny for the Jedi protagonist. It’s not like we didn’t get a big dose of SJW during the last big Star Wars film. Not with my money. Fuck Disney and their agenda.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Next you’ll get a tranny for the Jedi protagonist.

What? In the Star Wars world, there's all those weird aliens, clones, cyborgs, and robots from different worlds. Who knows what kind of bizarre biologies and customs all those various creatures have. How can you be worried about a tranny Jedi?

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Typical San Francisco attitude. I grew up out there and would never move back. It’s a space cowboys and Indians movie and you think it needs to be sjw to be worthy.

It’s like kneeling at football games. I just want to watch football. Keep your silly nonsense to yourself. Dress like a frog, kiss a goat, whatever, but keep it to yourself.

Star Wars has never needed to be sexualized.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Jesus you guys are focused on two chicks kissing for literally less than 2 seconds in the entire movie to the point of absurdity. You guys know that of all the things in the movie, lesbians do actually exist, right? Who the fuck cares?

That said, I went in expecting absolutely nothing after the last movie, and I suppose I could say I was pleasantly surprised? I think that after 4.5 absolutely garbage movies(ep 7 was ok), I was just emotionally drained and no longer connected to the story. I liked Rogue One and, also surprisingly, Solo, better than any of the last 6 star wars movies.

I think 7, 8, and 9 could have been ok or good, but 8 really dragged 7 and 9 down so badly that there was nothing left to like or look forward to. I think a couple of scenes in 9 could have been done a bit better and would have raised the movie from decent to good.

As for force healing, I'm pretty sure it's been around quite a while in the EU, it's just very rare, and Ben didn't learn how to use it until after Rey used it on him.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It sounds like there could have been a really solid movie if JJ wouldn’t have had to basically “forget” the last one ever existed.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, it wasn't. It was, however, the point that snapped me back to reality out of my state of suspended disbelief. Why is it that all of the bad guys were Caucasian males? None of the main characters were. Sure, the fat white guy got a few lines before he was blown up in his X-Wing, again. I really thought he was going to live this time.

Otherwise, I thought the movie was a fitting end to the Star Wars era for me.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I thought some of the stormtroopers sounded female?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I must have missed the chicks kissing. That said, it would seem less odd to me than space horses charging on the hull of a star destroyer. If you need to be at point z, then why land at point a and use horses to march across a ships surface. That and the Millenium Falcon crash were dumb to me. If the gear won't come down, that doesn't mean you'd have to skid it in.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool Star Wars fan and I haven't seen all the movies, but I thought it was an OK flick. Certainly not the "dumpster fire" that a lot of people were predicting.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
the fat white guy got a few lines before he was blown up in his X-Wing, again. I really thought he was going to live this time.
Damn, he was so close to making it last time. Even in "Rough One" he got smoked!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I must have missed the chicks kissing. That said, it would seem less odd to me than space horses charging on the hull of a star destroyer. If you need to be at point z, then why land at point a and use horses to march across a ships surface. That and the Millenium Falcon crash were dumb to me. If the gear won't come down, that doesn't mean you'd have to skid it in.

You could assume point z would be defended or shielded from ships; they talked about jamming speeders. If they were expecting an assault on land through some sort of interference that would disable a ship or speeder (after all, why not just shoot the thing?), then the space horses make sense to get around that. Then they had to move it to a ship because JJ Abrams and it got stupid.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I thought some of the stormtroopers sounded female?

They did. I don't see stormtroopers as bad guys as they aren't the ones making the decisions and pulling the strings.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
the fat white guy got a few lines before he was blown up in his X-Wing, again. I really thought he was going to live this time.
Damn, he was so close to making it last time. Even in "Rough One" he got smoked!!!

To be fair, everyone died in Rogue One which is why it was one of the best Star Wars movies.

ROS is what it's supposed to be, the last Star Wars movie. I'm not saying this as an elite cinephile, but as a 9 year old who 42 years ago saw first saw those giant yellow letters and heard the blasting brass section from the Dolby sound system at Scotsland Theatres in Oconomowoc, WI with my dad.

It was fantastic and if you don't agree, go watch Annie Hall.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
To be fair, everyone died in Rogue One which is why it was one of the best Star Wars movies.
Not quite everyone, Red and Gold Squadron survived only to be decimated during the attack on the Death Star. But 'Red 5' had to die so Luke could be 'Red 5' for that. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Just re-read my post and noticed I forgot to say, I liked it. Not at ALL perfect, but I liked it a lot.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was entertaining, the best of the most recent three. Compared to the other 6, it's still a tire fire, full of holes and mediocre story telling, grade: C at best.

While production quality is very good, the writing stinks. There's so many holes, too much exposition and very little investment in the story. One action sequence to another, very little time developing a character.

I agree with others, Abrams was salvaging the story that Johnson destroyed in TFA in the first half, then the second half essentially mimicked ROTJ. The Sith dagger was an unbelievably dumb plot device and is emblematic of the poor writing that scars this movie and the other three. Bringing back Palpatine, just so that he's tied to Rey...smh.

The blame for destroying this franchise:
- Kathleen Kennedy, while Disney head Bob Iger should get some blame, after all he's the big boss, Kennedy herself made one bad decision, after another, requiring constant rewrites and reshoots, after hiring/firing/re-hiring a menagerie of directors, writers and producers.
- Directors: Abrams and Johnson, what more could be said, other than they were possibly overruled by Kennedy. Each one did their level best to 'make their mark' on the franchise, and they succeeded.
- Lucasfilm Story Group, this bunch comprised more for their SJW chops than any knowledge of the SW universe; could be singlehandedly be responsible for all the SJW-fisting that's been shoved down every storyline. Created by Kennedy to make sure all SW storylines are tied together across all creative products, is also responsible for tossing the SW canon. Abrams did not like working with them, however Johnson embraced their 'wokeness'. How Filoni is not apart of this group given his passion and knowledge of the SW universe, is a reveal that there's greater politics at play.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Saw ROS twice.
I enjoyed it, and despite obvious plot holes, JJ did the best he could to fix the mess that Johnson left in TLJ.

You paid for it so enjoy it. The point is about Star Justice Wars doing this, is for it to be acceptable. Next go round you’ll get a bigger dose. If people accept this incessant SJW PC political agenda, it’s just going to keep coming. Until people say no, and vote with their wallet, it will not change. In fact it’s just going to get worse. Next you’ll get a tranny for the Jedi protagonist. It’s not like we didn’t get a big dose of SJW during the last big Star Wars film. Not with my money. Fuck Disney and their agenda.

The true irony for those of us that sat in theaters in 1977 is no matter how this movie ended out, the evil Empire won.

As long as those complaining will hand over their cash, the SJW trash will continue.

People keep falling for this based upon emotional reactions to nostalgia.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post