SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    So ‘‘tis that Christmas movie time of year so it’s fly in the ointment, monkey in the wrench time....Die Hard observation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So ‘‘tis that Christmas movie time of year so it’s fly in the ointment, monkey in the wrench time....Die Hard observation Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I am watching Die Hard for the eleventy millionth time and one thing that I love in this movie is the sound effect for the Steyr AUG. Not for any realism just for how weighty and meaty it sounds. It’s got a great deep base note that really cinematically differentiates it from the MP5’s.

It’s just something I notice every time and I dig it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or the deep boom of Al's Model 15.

This has to be both my top Christmas film and one of my all time favorite movies.

What’s the Damage, Die Hard
https://youtu.be/L9O43noFErg

Honest Action - Die Hard
https://youtu.be/PnHKv2G0wCw

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Not a christmas movie.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Side story. My daughter had her boyfriend over for dinner on sat. 15 year olds. We watched die hard as a christmas movie.

My wife signed up for "seasons beatings" regional roller derby bout. She is qbsolutely clueless to popular culture. It just rolls off her completely. She was put on the 'Hans Gruber' team for the more advanced bout.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Not a christmas movie.

Philistine!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a christmas movie.

You're dead to me.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Best Christmas movie ever..............after Bad Santa.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a christmas movie.

NOT COOL MAN. NOT COOL.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Philistine!
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
You're dead to me.
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
NOT COOL MAN. NOT COOL.
HAHAHA! Big Grin

I can prove it though.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
best Christmas movie ever

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It is a Christmas movie

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Philistine!
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
You're dead to me.
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
NOT COOL MAN. NOT COOL.
HAHAHA! Big Grin

I can prove it though.

You could resurrect Alan Rickman and have him put a P7 to my head and count to three but I'd still say that Die Hard IS in fact a Christmas movie.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Die hard, not a Christmas movie. Them there are fight'n words.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Last night I watched Holiday Affair, a movie I had recorded a couple days ago on TCM. Quick aside, I thought it was great, Robert Mitchum (as a REALLY nice guy), Janet Leigh, and Wendall Corey.

Ben Mankiewitz provided an introduction and a close-out at the end. His guest was author, Jeremy Arnold, who just released a book called “Christmas at the Movies,” and Holiday Affair was one of the 30 Christmas movies he reviewed. Mankiewitz and Arnold had a great discussion on the Die Hard question. The author gave several good reasons as to why it is indeed a Christmas movie, including family coming together, rehab of family relations, the necessity of Christmastime to create the situation, and one or two other reasons. Mankiewitz absolutely agreed. It IS a Christmas movie.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a christmas movie.

Who let you in?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched Die Hard in forever. Lethal Weapon is also a Christmas movie. Change my mind. Razz

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I haven't watched Die Hard in forever. Lethal Weapon is also a Christmas movie.

Die Hard and Lethal Weapon are Christmas movies! If they're not, then that would mean Die Hard 2 - Die Harder isn't a Christmas movie!

Or The Last Boy Scout!
Or The Long Kiss Goodnight!
Or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang!
Or Running Scared (1986)!
Or In Bruges!
Or Batman Returns!

And that would be insane to comprehend! INSANE!!!

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yippee-ki-yay, muthafudger!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Even the liberals at NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast say Die Hard is a Christmas movie and one of the best (or the best depending on commentator) Christmas movies.

Of course, it clearly is THE BEST Christmas movie, but I'm willing to suffer the fools who think its awesome but not the best Christmas movie.

But those who think Die Hard is not a Christmas movie are clearly trolls and should be sent to the dungeon where trolls belong.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
So I am watching Die Hard for the eleventy millionth time and one thing that I love in this movie is the sound effect for the Steyr AUG. Not for any realism just for how weighty and meaty it sounds.

One thing I've noticed about current gun sounds in modern action/thriller movies is that, I guess, in an effort to sound more realistic and "hip," they tend to sound very flat and generic, like uncharacteristic "pops." Remember the old days when sound designers would have fun such as mixing in a panther roar to make the Dirty Harry Magnum blast sound? People marvel over the crazy gun-fu in a film like John Wick, but I think that those films have some of the dullest sounding gunshot sounds. It sounds like someone punching a paper bag filled with air.

In modern films, I did like the gunshot sounds from Michael Bay's 13 Hours. The blast from M4s echoing through the streets of Benghazi is intense! Also, the rifle fire sound echoing through the mountains in Peter Berg's Lone Survivor was very impressive, especially with surround sound.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post