SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The elaborate process of shooting Kubrick's Barry Lyndon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The elaborate process of shooting Kubrick's Barry Lyndon Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I miss film. Listen to the closing remarks in this video and you'll get the idea of what we've lost by going to digital.

This is a fascinating piece.

Posts: 107572 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with you on that one. Kubrick was a genius, what a filmmaker. Thanks for posting that.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Just watched it yet again on Blu Ray (no 4k release yet) and the Sony panel and player I use upscales to 4k. Best version I have seen of it so far. One of Kubrick’s best. Brilliant piece of film. The filming techniques I’ve read hundreds of pages on and the video does some justice. Kubrick’s shoots were always long AF. BL was 300 days. The man was insane in mastering every frame, everything in the frame. And unlike Stanley he cast O’Neal. The lighting and cameras for this film will remain a discussion point among film critics and nerds in 100 years. I sure miss his work, because nobody today is even in the same ballpark. For me he is peerless. The Master and GOAT and such a step above anyone else. Rare for anything for you to have a large gap to anyone else. Hey Stanley, they don’t make the camera you want for what you are trying to do. What does he do? Spend his own money and solve an equation himself.

BL was in his prime, among 4 films. 2001, BL, The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket. A space flick that changed the industry. A period piece that has no peer with Alcott winning an Oscar for cinematography, and the use of NASA Zeiss lenses. A horror film that changed the genre. And a war film with a mark among war films that is just Kubrick.

A good exercise during these times with little to no new “films”. Go rent Kubrick’s work. Start at the beginning through Eyes Wide Shut, and even AI, which he developed and Spielberg stepped in and did, outta respect. Would make a great fortnight. Watch the films, and what I always laugh about is if he chose to pursue cinematography as his career, instead of a director..... We’d have 20 more films. He’d have a stack of worthless trophies, but we would have had more films. Any cinematographer that worked with him got a PhD, and got paid for it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Now all we need to figure out is which aspect ratio Kubrick intended this movie to be viewed in as not even Kubrick`s team can agree on the issue.

Posts: 4164 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
This is now free on YouTube, the entire 2+ hours documentary on Kubrick, going through each film, narrated by Tom Cruise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApEh9Sm4BR0

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
50mm .7 film lens, wow.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post