SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Hustler Founder Larry Flynt dead at 78
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hustler Founder Larry Flynt dead at 78 Login/Join 
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted
https://www.tmz.com/2021/02/10...ies-hustler-founder/

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I am unfamiliar with his work. Please post pics.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

I think he was an actor, he played Woody Harrelson in some movie.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am just reading about his death right now.

What a strange but interesting life:
Such as::

In the ninth grade he ran away from home and, despite being only 15 years old, joined the United States Army using a counterfeit birth certificate.

After being honorably discharged, Flynt returned to his mother in Indiana and found employment at the Inland Manufacturing Company, an affiliate of General Motors.

However, there was a union-led slowdown and he was laid off after only three months. He went back to his Fathers house in Kentucky and for a brief period, he became a bootlegger but stopped when he learned that county deputies were searching for him.

After living on his savings for two months, he enlisted in the United States Navy in July 1960. He became a radar operator on USS Enterprise. He was the operator on duty when the ship was assigned to recover John Glenn's space capsule. He was honorably discharged in July 1964.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Lmao, brilliant! kudos amigo
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Burn in Hell mo'fo'. BURN!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Didn't he invent the scratch 'n sniff??? Asking for a friend! LOL!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

I'm sure we were all disappointed to find out those letters sent in weren't real, and our chances of an orgy with a bunch of buxom coeds were very slim, but hoping he burns in Hell is a bit much.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
So is that the end of Chester The Molester?

....asking for a friend.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
When my parents visited last, I showed them where he got blasted in Lawrenceville, GA as we were walking by. Larry who?

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He outlived the guy who shot him by more than seven years.
quote:
Originally posted by Steve in PA:
Didn't he invent the scratch 'n sniff???
No, that was Betty Crocker, but then, things went horriby wrong.

BTW, sometime in the 1970s, Hustler magazine published a particular photograph, in order to illustrate a point. The photo was a shot of a corpse, some hapless man who had been killed in a war somehwere in Africa IIRC. He had been shot in the forehead with (apparently) a rifle and the shot had opened up his face, pushing one eye to the side. It was gruesome, with this cavernous black hole in the middle of his forehead. This photo had been previously pubished in some US periodical- it may have been Soldier of Fortune, but the Hustler reference didn't say.

Flynt's point was that this photograph depicted a greater obscenity than anything ever published within the pages of Hustler magazine, yet, no one batted an eye when it was previously published. No one picketed the home or offices of the publisher. No one testified before Congress, nothing.

And yet, let Flynt show pics of female pubic hair and labias, and, oh, this was the beginning of the end times! I'd say that the man had a valid point.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
A close family member worked for Flint as part of his company's management team. His terrible disposition was legendary. He exuded hatred towards virtually everyone surrounding him, but members of his immediate family (and probably did then same with them in private), and said his time on the "inside" of Flint's empire was not worth the monetary compensation received.

I'm sure someone may suggest it's not "nice" to speak ill of the dead, but ignoring Flint's douchebaggery, is like finding reasons to mourn the loss of Stalin, Mao, or Pol Pot, upon their demise.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no loss to the world

he may be in for a toasty eternity but that's certainly not my call

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
A close family member worked for Flint as part of his company's management team. His terrible disposition was legendary. He exuded hatred towards virtually everyone surrounding him, but members of his immediate family (and probably did then same with them in private), and said his time on the "inside" of Flint's empire was not worth the monetary compensation received.

I've heard similar from friends who've worked as photogs, editors and copywriters. For all of Flynn's commentary and pointed irony regarding societal norms and morays, he was for all intents, a raging, egomaniacal asshole with a host of addictions.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

I've heard similar from friends who've worked as photogs, editors and copywriters. For all of Flynn's commentary and pointed irony regarding societal norms and morays, he was for all intents, a raging, egomaniacal asshole with a host of addictions.

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if these experiences were before or after he was shot and paralyzed? Certainly a thing like that could put a guy in a foul mood.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see that some here are wishing him extreme warmth for eternity. That's fair, I can see your point.

However, you know ESPECIALLY today, that Flynt's 1st Amendment case that went to SCOTUS was rather important.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if these experiences were before or after he was shot and paralyzed? Certainly a thing like that could put a guy in a foul mood.

My family member worked for Flint after he was shot and paralyzed, but from what I'd heard, his personality was always abrasive in the extreme.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I see that some here are wishing him extreme warmth for eternity. That's fair, I can see your point.

However, you know ESPECIALLY today, that Flynt's 1st Amendment case that went to SCOTUS was rather important.

Like me, Hitler liked dogs. That said, I hope there's no canines where that asshole ended up! Wink

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I was a fan. Wink
He sure got some peoples feathers ruffled up and I kinda have to say I can respect that.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

I'm sure we were all disappointed to find out those letters sent in weren't real, and our chances of an orgy with a bunch of buxom coeds were very slim, but hoping he burns in Hell is a bit much.

Ummm, I beg to differ. College was one of the best 5 years of my life.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post