SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Perfection in a song: Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perfection in a song: Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted
I'd heard her original version of this song over the years a few times, and don't recall realizing just how effective, how emotive, it is. Maybe it's just I'm becoming an old softie. Whitney Houston's version is impressive, but doesn't capture the emotion Dolly put into it. To me it ranks up there with Hallelujah and Crying in terms of sincere, intense, feeling.

There's currently a TV commercial that I think has a snippet of Dolly singing this which lead me to hit up youtube.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/DMmYqRvSRS8

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I saw her in concert and she owns this song. Still sends a chill up my back. Thank you Miss Dolly.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Dolly has always been an emotional singer.

My favorite Dolly song:

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Great song, great movie.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
She wrote that song and more than 3,000 others. Unbelievably talented woman.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I have to agree. My favorite.

Also, I love this "Mashup" that was done for some awards show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9gAXwYZtfk

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

The Sweetest Gift

A beautiful trio of female voices harmonizing, Dolly, Emmy Lou, and Linda.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Since no one has mentioned it. Dolly wrote “I Will Always Love You” for Porter Wagoner. He gave her her first break in Nashville and the two of them performed together for quite awhile (this is from memory, so I don’t have the details).

Dolly decided it was time to go out on her own, and I think Wagoner needed her more than she needed him by this time. The song was her way of saying goodbye.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Since no one has mentioned it. Dolly wrote “I Will Always Love You” for Porter Wagoner. He gave her her first break in Nashville and the two of them performed together for quite awhile (this is from memory, so I don’t have the details).

Dolly decided it was time to go out on her own, and I think Wagoner needed her more than she needed him by this time. The song was her way of saying goodbye.

This is correct. It's murky to me if they were romantically involved, or more like family. I haven't heard anything indicating it might have been romantic, other than the nature of the song itself.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I never really understood why this song was such a huge hit for Whitney Houston while only being moderately successful for Dolly. Perhaps it was because of its use in The Bodyguard.

Most people nowadays have forgotten that this was Dolly Parton's song. Whenever you see it sung on a talent show the singer refers to it as Houston's song. Dolly definitely gives it a country vibe.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Dolly can can sing.

Houston was a good singer, but she belted that one out, with lots of ornamentation and melisma. That is not a style I like.

The trio of Ronstadt, Harris, and Parton is lovely.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I never really understood why this song was such a huge hit for Whitney Houston while only being moderately successful for Dolly. Perhaps it was because of its use in The Bodyguard.

Most people nowadays have forgotten that this was Dolly Parton's song. Whenever you see it sung on a talent show the singer refers to it as Houston's song. Dolly definitely gives it a country vibe.

It was a #1 country song both in 74, when it was released, and in 82, when it was in Best Little Whorehouse. That was when there wasn't much, if any, crossover from country to pop. Pop is where the mass appeal is, which is where Houston's cover came in.

Interesting story from the wiki page about the song - Elvis wanted to cover it, but Dolly wouldn't agree to the terms:

quote:
When the 1974 recording of the song was reaching number one on the country charts, Elvis Presley indicated that he wanted to cover the song. Parton was interested until Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, told her that it was standard procedure for the songwriter to sign over half of the publishing rights to any song Elvis recorded.[15] Parton refused. She recalls:

I said, 'I'm really sorry,' and I cried all night. I mean, it was like the worst thing. You know, it's like, Oh, my God … Elvis Presley.' And other people were saying, 'You're nuts. It's Elvis Presley.' ...I said, 'I can't do that. Something in my heart says, 'Don't do that. And I just didn't do it... He would have killed it. But anyway, so he didn't. Then when Whitney [Houston's version] came out, I made enough money to buy Graceland.

posted Hide Post
I've almost always liked her much more when she was half of a duet, and she's done a ton of great duets

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Real country! A measure of her talent is in the number of other artists who have covered her songs.
The White Stripes covered Jolene.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Real country! A measure of her talent is in the number of other artists who have covered her songs.

Miley Cyrus' cover of Jolene is excellent. Youtube has it. It makes me wish Miley sang more straight country.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just watched the Cyrus version. Not a fan of her, but she did do Jolene right.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Miley Cyrus' cover of Jolene is excellent. Youtube has it. It makes me wish Miley sang more straight country.

I've always thought of Jolene as more of a folk song than a country song.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. Miley has talent, but it seems like she is wasting it away.

IIRC, Dolly is Miley's godmother.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I was taken by surprise by this comment, because I had never really listened to Miley Cyrus; pop singer of a different generation, and whatever I knew of her from her very public personal peccadillos have made me ignore her almost completely. I just went to YouTube and looked at three different renditions. Holy shit. She's amazing. Her voice, movements, and stage presence are captivating. If I knew nothing about her and came across these videos, I'd be clamoring for more. jhe is right; she should do more country.

EDIT: Ok, I've looked at a few more vids. She might be a natural at country, but she's good at a lot of styles. Very talented.

And, to avoid hijacking the thread, yes, this is a great Dolly song; my favorite.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: amals,

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post