SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movie 1917 trailer
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie 1917 trailer Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think the horror and filth of the trenches was underplayed. The lice and rats were what made a week in the front line about all a man could take.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night, we enjoyed it.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1090 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Gonna go see it tomorrow while some game is on TV. Wink

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night. Enjoyed it a lot, especially after watching "They shall not grow old" recently. It was like watching a companion piece. The ending felt similar to "Gallipoli" with a young Mel Gibson, also running the trenches to deliver a message.

How do the booby traps work in the bunker? Those hanging bags weren't meant for the rats, but for enemy soldiers to discover and set off?

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
How do the booby traps work in the bunker? Those hanging bags weren't meant for the rats, but for enemy soldiers to discover and set off?

The hanging bags of food weren't specifically booby-trapped. The booby-trap was a wire running across the base of the doorway leading into one of the tunnels, which connected to a large explosive.

The soldiers recognized the tripwire, but a rat dragged a fallen food bag into the tripwire, thus setting off the booby trap.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I thought the bags were the German soldiers' "toilets"....

Did I misinterpret the gagging they made when they found them or miss a line?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I thought the bags were the German soldiers' "toilets"....

Did I misinterpret the gagging they made when they found them or miss a line?

I assumed the food bags were hung that way so the rats could not get to them.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Saw it this past weekend. I'm definitely in the under delivered group. It was good, just not worthy of all the hype.

The 4k Disc (especially in DV) was reference. The film was shot in 4.5k, then mastered at 4k, so it's a native 4k release. PQ was 5 of 5 stars.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
It's on amazon now, discounted rental $2.99

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I thought it was really well done.

At Carlisle Barracks, PA they have this US Army Heritage Center that includes a life size WWI replica trench that runs just as real one would have and it's pretty large.

It's a very strange feeling walking through it.

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post