SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Trek Discovery Free On The Local CBS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek Discovery Free On The Local CBS Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I just watched Picard.

It couldn't decide if it wanted to be Star Trek, Star Wars, Mass Effect, or Lord of the Space Rings.

The SJW stuff didn't bother me too much, Star Trek has always been SJWs in space. You have to expect that stuff from this series.

Overall I thought it was pretty weak

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:

I had to go back and check because I thought she was addressing a male on the bridge but it is in fact a woman. From what I gathered this is a descendant of Sarek?

"Michael" is straight up human. Her parents were killed in a raid by Klingons. Sarek took her in as an adopted daughter, with a young Spock as her new step-brother.

There is LOTS of drama involved with her (she cries nearly every other episode - the fandom argues about this endlessly).

I finally watched it, and I have to admit, it's actually pretty good. It took me a while to get over the prequel aspect of it (I typically loathe prequels). But, the visuals are stunning and I can even get over the 'new' look of the Klingons (it took a couple episodes, but they match the visuals of the rest of the show). Jason Isaacs is amazing (season 1), and the Christopher Pike storyline in season 2 is excellent (as is watching the Enterprise with modern graphics/sfx). They bumped up the sfx quite a lot, but face it - the original series came out before most of us were born. It was time for a 'tech refresh.' So, they have tech here way above Next Gen/DS9/etc. As they say, "The future is not what it used to be."

There are certain annoyances to the show. EVERY plot line seems to revolve around 'Michael.' This is especially noticeable in season 2, since most of the early plot revolves around Spock and her rocky relationship with him, and the second half of the season revolves around her. Basically, she's a giant Mary Sue and special in every way (she gets to play 'victim' a lot, too - big white men in command often badmouth her, only for them to find out they were wrong and she was right all along. This happens a LOT. If you can put up with that aspect and stomach some minor BS, it can actually be entertaining.

I haven't seen Season 3 yet.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m a huge Star Trek fan and have been all my life but I refuse to watch this PC, woke garbage.

IMO, they’ve KILLED the Star Trek franchise with this crap. Confused

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It’s PC horse shit. Fortunately space is vacuum otherwise you could Roddenberry ashes screaming from orbit..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post