SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Trek Discovery Free On The Local CBS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek Discovery Free On The Local CBS Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
I know that there was a past thread about this topic, I read thru however, I just found that it was available as free here on CBS in the locals so I recorded it on DVR.

In the past I stopped watching most things CBS with the exception of Blue Bloods mainly because of the content of some of the CBS broadcasts personally, and I wasn't going to pay for ST Discovery. I'm going to check out this 1rst episode of season 3 for a taste since it's free anyway.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Bring plenty of booze, minimum 100 proof.

Posts: 4165 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Bring plenty of booze, minimum 100 proof.

[URL= ] [/URL]

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started watching from Season 1 Episode 1 when it started showing up on regular CBS. Got thru 3-4 episodes and gave up. Too “woke” and too many messed up characters.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Ok, I watched the 1rst Episode from Season 3 and things I noticed off the bat...

Maybe it's me but they've seemed to step up the aggression of females while at the same time toning it down a notch or two with the Klingons.
As a matter of fact, when I first saw the Klingon his attire was one more in appearance of a Broadway Musical rather than the usual gruff-like affect in the past. Furthermore, it didn't surprise me at the same time to see a female officer whopping the butt of the same Klingon in the brig in a flamboyant martial arts display in CBS fashion.

Another thing I noticed, in the landing party, the mix was 3 women and 1 male, not even an android in the mix to balance things though they probably haven't enlisted them yet in Starfleet considering the timeline 10yrs prior to the Original Star Trek series...if I've got that right?

Though I got thru the show, the thing that did make it more tolerable on the local stations is that my OTA DVR has an automatic commercial free skip feature so there's no annoying ads.

Also if I got it right, the Vulcan Sarek has a female daughter or Spoc has now been replaced by her? Or I've got that wrong? It was a short scene towards the end of the episode.

DanH, you're probably spot on about the booze, it may have been preferable Big Grin

Oh well, I'm in for another anyways just to see where this goes or how long I can stay interested. There are worse things. During the upcoming commercial breaks, the Equalizer on CBS local has now replaced Denzel with Queen Latifah instead?? Roll Eyes I didn't in the past watch hardly any local broadcasts but got the OTA DVR to be able to record local news weather broadcasts for hurricane season here in Miami. And so I'm just peeking at some of the newer content for catch up, I've yet to even read thru the thread on the Equalizer from CBS but will now to see comments before even watching, hey it's CBS so it's what can be expected I guess.

Regards, Will G.

Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're watching season 1, not season 3.

The show is... ok for something in the background while you're doing something else.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4165 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Oh well, I'm in for another anyways just to see where this goes or how long I can stay interested. There are worse things. During the upcoming commercial breaks, the Equalizer on CBS local has now replaced Denzel with Queen Latifah instead?? Roll Eyes

Denzel?? What about the original Equalizer that came out in the `80's sometime IIRC. In that one it was an older white guy, something that couldn't possibly be allowed today. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^

Here was the confusing part. This first image is a snap of my onscreen Tablo streaming DVR ST Discovery content that I selected to record. The second image was taken from my onscreen Amazon Prime account with a photo of what is described as season 3. That is what I thought I recorded as the photos posted are the same so I assumed I was watching season 3?? Now I wonder which episode from which season I actually watched if this is just a stock ST Discovery gallery photo??

And photo of onscreen Amazon Prime ST Discovery which it lists it as season 3..

Regards, Will G.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Season 1. They say it gets better, but it's just a temporary lie. Pike and Spock were the best parts of Season 2, but the rest was absolute trash. Picard was even worse. I'm just going to spoil Season 3 in that "The Burn" which all of the Dilithium in the galaxy explode was because Kelpian (the race Doug Jones plays), grew up on a dilithium planet, melded with it, and when his parents died, he screamed causing all the dilithium in the GALAXY to blow up.

It hurts less reading about it.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
All the dilithium exploded? It must grow back at an exponential rate, then...God, what a terrible show.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Sounds like Season 1. They say it gets better, but it's just a temporary lie. Pike and Spock were the best parts of Season 2, but the rest was absolute trash. Picard was even worse. I'm just going to spoil Season 3 in that "The Burn" which all of the Dilithium in the galaxy explode was because Kelpian (the race Doug Jones plays), grew up on a dilithium planet, melded with it, and when his parents died, he screamed causing all the dilithium in the GALAXY to blow up.

It hurts less reading about it.

I think you're correct Dan. In the beginning the announcer states that "previously, on Star Trek Discovery, blah, blah, blah" So I'm assuming that whatever season it was it's not the first episode of that season anyway. I think they're just about to invade the Klingon home world. I've got to rewatch it for specifics. I'm done for now though, it's giving me a headache anyway and not a priority, just curious. Thanks for the replies.

Regards, Will G.

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
The Critical Drinker's reviews on Youtube about the show, and his incidental comments about it while doing other reviews, are hilariously spot on

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wait until they bring the tranny trills in. I hate watched this show mostly because I just wanted something to watch. After they corrected the overly gay dude on pronouns I was totally done with it

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
All I have to say is WHAT THE HELL???

Space fungus?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I started watching from Season 1 Episode 1 when it started showing up on regular CBS. Got thru 3-4 episodes and gave up. Too “woke” and too many messed up characters.

Dwill, not only those mixed messages, but the writers even name a girl Michael. Hey, I don't really care so much but I won't pay for it either. CBS will always put out whatever they want, I have no stake in it except to not watch it if it's not my cup of tea.

I had to go back and check because I thought she was addressing a male on the bridge but it is in fact a woman. From what I gathered this is a descendant of Sarek?

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
There are a number of youtube channels that tend to focus on Sci-Fi, such as Doomcock and Nerdrotic. If you're interested in some Star Trek Discovery commentary with no political-correctness, you might want to check them out.

Posts: 15 | Registered: January 10, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Bryan Fuller (ex-Star Trek writer/Dead Like Me/Pushing Daisies/Hannibal/American Gods) was the creator of the show, and one of his habits is giving a female a man's name. Georgia Lass on Dead Like Me was called George, for instance. Had he not been pushed out by Alex Kurtzman and Les Moonves, I have no doubts it would be a problem.

posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the season with Captain Pike. What a waste, I couldn't care less about the rest of the series.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I'm a Star Trek franchise fan. I've got 8 episodes recorded and I told my wife to dump them. I just can't get started on this series.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post