SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    question for the trekkies , here
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question for the trekkies , here Login/Join 
posted
I watched all of the original w /Wm Shatner.
I am wondering if they ever upgraded the transporter situation, in the other 16 versions of the show?

The problem I had was;
they could transport anything any where when they were outside the ship.

bing bang boom and there you were.

but

when they were in the ship , everyone had to trudge down to the transporter room and wait for the bubbles and noise to get them somewhere.

I never understood why they needed a transporter room , in the first place.

did the later series crew have to go to the transporter room ?

never made sense

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
TNG addressed this a bit, with site-to-site transports, but they were considered more risky since it basically had to beam you to the room from where you were, then to where you wanted to go.

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes... More stable and control when beaming from the pad in the transporter room.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Also site to site consumed more energy?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so no advancements at all,

makes me wonder what years the original Star Trek covered, and what years all the other Star Trexs covered

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
so no advancements at all,

makes me wonder what years the original Star Trek covered, and what years all the other Star Trexs covered

Star Trek: Enterprise (2151-2161)
Star Trek Discovery (2255)
Star Trek (2265-2269)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (2364-2370)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (2369-2375)
Star Trek: Voyager (2371-2378)

So around 100 years between The Original Series and The Next Generation.

Then Next Generation, Deep Space 9, and Voyager all taking place within the same 15ish year span.

The Enterprise prequel series is set about 100 years before The Original Series.

The current Discovery prequel series is set 10 years before The Original Series.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Plot convenience. A transporter room was a convenient meeting place and we could get caught up on what was happening.

Even for many 'medical emergencies' onboard the Enterprise, the docs would physically run to the accident sites instead of insta-beaming there. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Even for many 'medical emergencies' onboard the Enterprise, the docs would physically run to the accident sites instead of insta-beaming there. . .

As noted above by bobtheelf, site-to-site transports did show up in the later series. And that specific scenario of a medical emergency was one of the more common situations where site-to-site transports were used in TNG, DS9, and VOY.

A crewmember would be injured and crumple to the floor, and another responding crewmember would rush to their side, tap their communicator badge, say "Two to beam directly to sick bay!", and they'd be transported immediately to the medical center.

So it was riskier, and costlier in energy, but it was certainly used when the situation made it necessary.

So yes, there was quite a bit of advancement in the 100ish years between the Original Series and the last three shows. Keep in mind that not that long before the Original Series is set, transporter technology wasn't really trusted for use on living things. Instead, transporters were used for cargo, and life forms still primarily used shuttles to get around.

(Dr. McCoy on the Original Series famously had a bit of a phobia about "that newfangled transporter technology".)

100 years later during TNG/DS9/VOY, transporter technology was commonplace, and used for everything from moving between ships, between ships and planets, and yes, moving within your own ship when time was of the essence.

It's so common that it's even used sometimes to move between cities on the same planet. Civilian families on Federation planets during the 2300s are issued "transporter credits" by the Federation, which could be used on occasion to allow them to go (for example) from a transporter station near their home to a transporter station across the continent by the beach for a vacation, or the like.

It uses a large amount of energy, so it obviously can't be used all the time for everything. But it just shows that in 100 years, it went from something that was not all that common, mainly used for cargo, and not trusted by some, to something that is commonly available in most places in the Federation and considered quite safe.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
My Ship's transporter stopped working on February 28, 2003, so I'm stuck here. Sucks.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Transporter technology had issues during the original series and following movies:

In Next Generation Geordi mentions having redundant pattern buffers now for backups. It really raises a lot of moral questions like does that mean there is a duplicate of the person and if the person who comes out on the transport pad the actual person who went in or is it just a copy of that information? ...deep stuff.......kind of like always copying and pasting a long text file before saving.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I remember in The Original Series Roddenberry belabored a bit on the transporter and how it actually functioned. One of the first scenes was originally written so that anyone in the landing party could beam back up to the ship just by pressing a button on their communicator. It was argued that this would make it too easy for crewmembers to bail out of threatening situations. So they decided to make the transportation process more delicate and operator-sensitive (why the tranporter operator is always seen "working" three slide controls simultaneously). Also why intra-ship transports were avoided for fear of materializing inside a bulkhead. (Not sure why this would be more difficult than pinpointing an internal materialization a thousand miles away.)

Now that I think about it, the answer is simple. It's not more difficult, just more often. If a procedure is hazardous, one simple way to reduce accidents is simply to reduce frequency. Beaming outside the ship probably can't be helped (can't take a shuttlecraft everwhere), but you can at least avoid internal beaming on a ship serviced by turbo-lifts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I think kkina is onto something here. This is definitely the point that is alluded to in this discussion on another TV show:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/mW5skmJyU6k

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and with all the radio shacks closed up, there was no place to swing by and get a couple of transformer, a diode or six and some capacitors,
to upgrade the system , just the least bit.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
In the original series with Capt Kirk, was there any episode where someone outside the ship was transported to somewhere other than back to the transporter room?

I don't think so, but could be wrong.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
(Dr. McCoy on the Original Series famously had a bit of a phobia about "that newfangled transporter technology".)

100 years later during TNG/DS9/VOY, transporter technology was commonplace, and used for everything from moving between ships, between ships and planets, and yes, moving within your own ship when time was of the essence.

Well, with the possible exception of Barclay, who also had a phobia of transporters (and a lot of other things).

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
In the original series with Capt Kirk, was there any episode where someone outside the ship was transported to somewhere other than back to the transporter room?

I don't think so, but could be wrong.

According to Memory Alpha, there was one occasion in 2268. In "A piece of the action" - Scott transported Tepo directly from his headquarters to those of Bela Okmyx.

-Rob

P.S. - bendable, those of us with near encyclopedic knowledge (or at least an equivalent devotion to Trek and Trek canon), but who still live in the real world are more appropriately referred to as "Trekkers".

"Trekkies", on the other hand, are the freaks who believe it's all real - or at least live like it is. You know - like that woman who insisted on serving jury duty in her Star Fleet uniform.

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
I stand corrected

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember in The Original Series Roddenberry belabored a bit on the transporter and how it actually functioned.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
Um wait, wrong show.

Years ago I recall a book called "The Making of Star Trek" and in that book, there was a discussion of the transporter.
For every use of the transporter, it cost something like $10000, so they did try to minimize gratuitous transporter usage.

I might be remembering incorrectly, but it was something like 40 years ago that I read the book.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
I remember in The Original Series Roddenberry belabored a bit on the transporter and how it actually functioned.

Um wait, wrong show.

Years ago I recall a book called "The Making of Star Trek" and in that book, there was a discussion of the transporter.
For every use of the transporter, it cost something like $10000, so they did try to minimize gratuitous transporter usage.

I might be remembering incorrectly, but it was something like 40 years ago that I read the book.

That's where I got most of my info. Don't remember all the fine details either. Great book even for casual fans of TOS.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:

Um wait, wrong show.

That's where I got most of my info. Don't remember all the fine details either. Great book even for casual fans of TOS.

Kind of crazy, considering he invented transporter technology to save money on what would otherwise have been a lot of shuttle craft scenes. Of course, time was a major consideration, too.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post