SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Well nuts, my only TV just died. What brand/model do I replace it with, and why?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well nuts, my only TV just died. What brand/model do I replace it with, and why? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK is right. Sorry about the miscue on the Series 8. Smile

FWIW here we are running a 65" TCL 65R615 Series 6 RokuTV in the home theater system, a 49" TCL 49S515 Series 5 RokuTV in the master bedroom, and a decade old 32" TCL L32HDF11TA in the guest bedroom. All work just great!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Music to my ears!
Picture of synthrob
posted Hide Post
Another vote for TCL. We have a 32" TCL in the bedroom and a 50" series 5 in the living room. Both have great picture quality. You can't beat them for the price. As mentioned, get a series 5 or 6, depending on how much you want to spend.

Music is mediator between spiritual and sensual life. ~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Posts: 2853 | Location: NE Ohio  | Registered: April 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift...This is more about me learning than actual advice for the OP.

Why no love for Vizios? I have three in the house and they've all been flawless.

I'm no video maven so there may be picture quality issues I'm not smart enough to realize, but they're plenty good enough for my uneducated eye and 50" class are under $400 on Amazon, under $300 at China-Mart.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I like my Vizio, as well as my Samsungs and TCL's

I have never had a TV go tits up, they just get old

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
To get a little more more info you can look here https://www.rtings.com/tv/revi...best/by-size/55-inch

I discovered that site yesterday. Looks like good stuff.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
If you're handy with a screwdriver and a soldering iron, you might be able to save yourself a ton of money. Search "Sony Bravia KDL55HX800" in youtube and there are videos on how to repair that model.

I have a 10+ year old Samsung 42" flat screen. About 3 years ago it would not turn on. $7.00 worth of capacitors and a $30.00 TCon board and it works like new. Still works great.

Good luck.

Thanks, a repair of the now old TV is on the table. I've got a DVOM and a soldering iron, so when I get a chance to inspect, I will.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update, just finished programming my universal remote for this: https://www.sony.com/electroni...visions/x750h-series

Not the cheapest option, but it seems to be decent enough for what I needed at the moment, is a brand I'm experienced with and I got it out the door for $600 in round figures.

I maybe could have gotten it a bit cheaper online, but I needed it now, not in a week or ten days and I know that usually means sacrificing the best deal, but I beat the Costco price at a local family joint that has previously treated me well.