SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Well nuts, my only TV just died. What brand/model do I replace it with, and why?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well nuts, my only TV just died. What brand/model do I replace it with, and why? Login/Join 
posted
Specs of the dead TV:
10 years old, purchased new by me.
Sony Bravia KDL55HX800
55"
Nuts and bolts: https://docs.sony.com/release/.../KDL55HX800_mksp.pdf

Until it died, I had no real issues with this unit other than the occasional motion blur related issue, mainly while watching hockey.

I want to replace the dead TV with another 55" unit. It will be on a stand, not wall mounted.

I am not a gamer, I don't stream much and if I am watching TV, it is likely to be an old movie, a hockey game or some type of open wheel auto racing.

I run all my video inputs though a a A/V receiver and have one HDMI cable running to my current TV. I plan to do the same with my new unit.

Also, the replacement unit will start out as my primary TV, but will get downgraded to secondary use status in less than a year if all goes according to plan.

I don't need a smart TV, Alexa compatibility, Apple TV, etc. I won't use any of those things, but I understand that most new TV's will come with a lot of these features.

Motion blur and other similar visual issues annoy me as I do notice them.

I'd like to stick with Sony, Samsung or LG, but a persuasive argument could change my mind.

Budget is $1,000 USD or less. Preferably 20-40% less.

Ok SigForum, what do I need, and why?

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We bought an LG OLED last fall. Incredible picture. That’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? I don’t know if any TVs are sold w/o the smart stuff. Costco sells the 55 for $1,449 with a great warranty. While it’s over your desired price range, it’s a killer set. My son has the 55 and I have the 65.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
R U a Costco member? We bought a 70” Samsung on sale a couple of months ago to replace a 55” TV, like yours, about 10 years old. We’re blown away by the difference in picture quality and thought the picture quality of the 55” tv was pretty good. Honestly, I’d recommend looking at something in that size range (70”) on sale. I think movie theaters are hearing their death knell and you’ll be watching first run movies at home. Hope you find something you like.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
I would go to Costco, and look at what they have on sale.

Costco 55" TV

You are like a week late though, some of the best TV deals are Pre-Superbowl. Smile

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I've personally had nothing but trouble with Sony TV's over the last 15 years. I currently have a 65 inch Samsung and 2 55 inch LGs I am happy with.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Take a long look at the TCL Series 6 and 8 RokuTVs. Great performance and bang-for-the-buck!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input so far.

To give more details, I am currently size limited to a 55" based on where the TV will be located. Would love a larger TV, but can't do it right now.

I am a Sam's member, but not Costco.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by celticwolf:
You are like a week late though, some of the best TV deals are Pre-Superbowl. Smile

Yeah, tell me about it!

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We've been happy with both Samsung TVs, but the newest one is HDMI or USB only.
Our other is around 10 yrs old & has component connections.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Sanyo, Samsung and Emerson are three brands that I am familiar with, none of them have ever given me any trouble.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The LG CX OLED's have the best picture in a darker room and are generally the highest rated TV with most of the reviewers. A little over your budget but like the earlier poster said, it's a killer TV. If you want THE best picture spend a little extra.

If you have a brightly lit room the Samsung QLED Q8 series are brightly backlit (instead of side lit) and have an Anti-reflective coating that REALLY helps with glare. The Q9's are even better. I have 2 OLED's including the CX and in a Bright room my QLED C8 works a little better as far as glare with the overhead lights on. VERY good picture but I don't like the remote as much.

If this TV is going to be a secondary TV I picked up a Roku 4K 55" TV for $249 at Costco. I'm sure Sam's has similar. They look pretty decent if you are looking straight at them. Where TV's really start to show their differences is in side angles. Cheaper TV's need to be look straight at. In a Narrow room it may not be an issue but in a wide room you can really tell. In the store walk to the side and look at the TV's from steep side angles and you'll see what I mean. The other big issue is glare and bright rooms. Samsung Q8 and Q9's are ahead of everyone else here. The Oleds are the bomb for black blacks and overall picture quality.

Since motion Blur bothers you try and find a TV with 240 Megaherz or an OLED. Oleds work differently than the 120 or 240 TV's since they write the whole screen at once. The Q8,s and Nano's both do 240 and motion blur isn't an issue. Some of the cheaper sets are 120 and even "simulate" 240hertz. Stick with real 240, even in a cheaper set.

FWIW I picked up my Samsung 55" Q8 for 1/3 off and below your budget by going to Nebraska Furniture Marts Closeout section. The salesman told me exactly why it was returned and the one I got was perfect, the only scratch was on the plastic protective covering and that's exactly what he told me.

The LG Nanocell LED's are very nice and you'll probably find a 55" within your budget. Not quite as good Anti-glare as the Samsung but usually a few hundred cheaper and I like their remote MUCH better.

All in all buy the LG OLED if you can stretch your budget a bit. Try a Samsung Q8 or Q9 if you have a bright room and can go a wee bit over budget or find a deal. Or you can get a good 55" TV for $300ish if you want to go cheaper and buy the better TV later..........

And FWIW no reason NOT to buy a smart TV now, I think most all of them are.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how inexpensive TV's are nowadays.

You can get a 55 inch tv, as you mentioned, for really what is just walking around money.

Costco, Sams, wallymart, Target Stores Sunday Sale Ads, take your pick.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
We used a lot of TVs in the Homeland Security situation room business, some freestanding and some together to make a simulated video wall.

All we ever used were Samsung and Sony as they had the best pictures at the time.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To get a little more more info you can look here https://www.rtings.com/tv/revi...best/by-size/55-inch

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Take a long look at the TCL Series 6 and 8 RokuTVs. Great performance and bang-for-the-buck!

Another vote right here. I've bought x2 TCLs and both have been stellar.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We're pleased with the 55" LG we bought at Costco last year.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Samsung QLED

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Another vote right here. I've bought x2 TCLs and both have been stellar.

TCL is definitely what I'd recommend. TCL is routinely voted as "best bang for the buck", "best budget TV", etc. by most of the major interweb TV review sights. Their picture quality is nearly as good as the high end name brand TVs, for a fraction of the price.

However, getting one of their top tier 6- or 8-series definitely isn't needed, since the OP stated that it's going to be quickly downgraded to a secondary TV, and he isn't using it for fancier 4K or HDR content. (Besides, they don't even offer a 55" 8-series... 65" is as small as the 8s go.)

So I'd recommend the medium-tier 55" 4-series or 5-series. They don't have all the fancy cutting-edge bells and whistles of the higher tier 6- or 8-series, but picture quality is still great, and they are noticeably cheaper as a result.

4-series 55S435 for ~#350: https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Cla...-Roku/dp/B08GWBBH4R/

5-series 55S535 for ~$500: https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Dol...-Smart/dp/B0885N4FPZ

In fact, for the criteria as laid out in the OP, I'd honestly just go with the $350 4-series, then spend the rest of the TV budget on a nicer receiver/speaker setup, or use it as the start of your savings for the planned fancier replacement next year.

These are both Roku Smart TVs, but you don't have to utilize that if you don't want to. (As stated, it'll be pretty tough to find a non-smart TV these days.) These also both have the capability for Motion Smoothing and similar effects, as do all TVs nowadays, but you can turn that down/off in the settings if you don't like it.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
If you're handy with a screwdriver and a soldering iron, you might be able to save yourself a ton of money. Search "Sony Bravia KDL55HX800" in youtube and there are videos on how to repair that model.

I have a 10+ year old Samsung 42" flat screen. About 3 years ago it would not turn on. $7.00 worth of capacitors and a $30.00 TCon board and it works like new. Still works great.

Good luck.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only problem with TCL's is that they are Chinese Spy Hardware!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post