SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Hacksaw Ridge (Movie, 2016)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hacksaw Ridge (Movie, 2016) Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
We saw the movie on Friday. Excellent movie. I don't remember any F bombs but there were the boot camp insults from the drill sergeant which sounded genuine to me.
I was impressed me Vince Vaughn. It took me several minutes to recognize him. He slimmed down a lot for this role.
I would have classified this as fiction if they hadn't said it was real. I'm very impressed with the actual person.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
This is a must see for me. Will make sure I get to the theater this week.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonGlock26:
While the movie is more graphic than Saving Private Ryan, it is easily one of the best
War Movies ever made. If you can handle the gore,
Do not miss this one.

The scene where Captain Glover learns that Doss has been saving solider after soldier after soldier. I had to fight it back man. I didn't shed a tear but it took a whole lot of effort on my behalf.

And I have to give some due credit to Vince Vaughan. He played Seargent Howell impeccably. Best role I've seen him in.

Gibson was the star of this film. Glad he is back directing again. This film should get an Oscar nomination.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is an awesome movie, highly recommend it though I would not take my wife to it. Ignoring some of the artistic license taken by Gibson, one minor detail did bug me - what's with the haircuts. At boot camp - no shaved heads? No GI haircuts letter in the war zone?

Posts: 18 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: June 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I plan to go tonight with the younger Son. It seems like most of his favorite guns are featured.

He's a main reason we now have an M1A.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I saw this yesterday. Great movie but a bit different thank pvt Ryan or some of the others. Also the movie theater was packed at 1pm on a Saturday.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgwiggans
posted Hide Post
Thought it was a very good movie about a great man. Here's a link to History vs. Hollywood for more back ground.

http://www.historyvshollywood....faces/hacksaw-ridge/

Posts: 1884 | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Like much of Hollywood a good movie but bad history. The facts of Doss's achievement could have told the story by themselves, but Hollywood gots to Hollywood. Almost the entire first half of the movie is historical fiction. The battle scenes are by far the most realistic part of the movie, but showing battleships providing danger close artillery fire is is about as inaccurate as it gets. Still a movie worth seeing and still a story worth telling.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgwiggans
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by SgtGold:

"The battle scenes are by far the most realistic part of the movie, but showing battleships providing danger close artillery fire is is about as inaccurate as it gets. Still a movie worth seeing and still a story worth telling."

What would be roughly the normal distance that was kept, as in the situation portrayed in the movie?

------------------

posted Hide Post
This is a totally subjective comment, but with that in mind....this may be the very best WWll movie that I have ever seen

Posts: 590 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgwiggans:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

"The battle scenes are by far the most realistic part of the movie, but showing battleships providing danger close artillery fire is is about as inaccurate as it gets. Still a movie worth seeing and still a story worth telling."

What would be roughly the normal distance that was kept, as in the situation portrayed in the movie?

------------------

FM 6-30 gives the following for 'danger close' fire support:

600 meters, generally
750 meters, naval guns 5-inch and under
1000 meters, naval guns over 5"
2000 meters, naval 16" ICM
2000 meters, MLRS M26 rockets[2]

I don't know what the WWII ranges were, but there was no way anyone in that scene was 2k meters away from the explosions of those 16" shells. Just an observation because Hollywood has to Hollwood. It's the movies after all.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgwiggans
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Thanks for the reply. Interesting distinction between the different sizes of artillery & distance requirements. Thinking back to the movie, the sound effects of the shells flying overheard was really impressive. Also amazing that they decided not to include all of Doss' heroic actions in the film.

------------------------

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TNshooter1:
It is an awesome movie, highly recommend it though I would not take my wife to it. Ignoring some of the artistic license taken by Gibson, one minor detail did bug me - what's with the haircuts. At boot camp - no shaved heads? No GI haircuts letter in the war zone?

Just saw it too and my wife loved it.
I also noticed the haircuts.
Great movie not only for what Doss did but all of the rest of the brave men.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Watched this on Sunday with the wife. Pretty good movie overall.
Definitely a good choice if you have to pay at the theatre (why is it so damn expensive).
Makes me look forward to my new 70" tv coming in two weeks. I may see it again when it goes to blu-ray.

cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Saw this tonight with the wife and was thoroughly impressed. A great film all around from the character development to the acting, action, and cinematography.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the movie tonight. It was excellent in all aspects. I thought his pre military life dragged on just a touch, but the war scenes and everything were very well done.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Finally got to see this and have a few thoughts on it.

First, leave it to Hollywood to ruin a good movie with horrible casting. Well...they didn't completely ruin it, but whoever's idea it was to cast Vince Vaughn in this role should be fired. Sam Elliot or R. Lee Ermey he is not...by a long stretch.

Second, I have no idea of the geographical and historical accuracy, but I just couldn't shake the fact that it was ridiculously phony. You've got thousands of enemy japs on top of a cliff, and your aid station/evac spot is at the bottom of the cliff? Ummm...no. Thinking that all the japs had to do was start tossing grenades over the cliff ruined a good many scenes there.

I don't think that the gore was over done. It seemed realistic and well placed.

The bright spot of the whole film for me was Teresa Palmer. I've had a thing for her since I saw her in Love and Honor (another corny war film). Beautiful and a really good actress. I am smitten.

All in all I give it a solid B.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Vince Vaughan casting just being wrong. Given his past roles I just couldn't believe his role in this one.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree with the Vince Vaughan casting just being wrong. Given his past roles I just couldn't believe his role in this one.

Not to thread drift too much, but very similar in the way they casted David Schwimmer to play the douchebag officer in Band of Brothers.

At the time I think he was still playing Ross on Friends. It was funny during the season they shot the movie to watch his character on the TV show. They dressed him in tight shirts and the dude's arms were seriously jacked.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post