SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by Fdan:
Am I the only one who thinks F1 has become way, way to over-regulated and "formulated?" In the 70s and 80s (and maybe before), there seemed to be far fewer restrictions on vehicle design.
Perhaps a limit on overall length, width, and height (all for safety reasons) and who cares about a weight limit, probably engine displacement (typically smaller for turbo and larger for normally aspirated), and some required safety features would perhaps lead to far more interesting design developments. Gas? Ethanol? Nitro-methane? Diesel? Why the limit? Let the teams decide.
Pirelli, Michelin, Goodyear, or case-hardened peanut butter for tires - again, let the teams decide as long as the tires are safe and don't fly apart at speed? If one team can figure out how to generate truly significant extra RPMs, torque, and HP out of a given displacement size limit, why should they be restricted in any other way? What about turbine engines (ala Andy Granatelli at Indy).
Except for VERY minute differences in aerodynamics (all but invisible to the vast majority of observers), the cars all look the same. Why limit electric motor or wing usage? If a team can figure out how to use them all the time, why penalize their genius?
Experimenting with new materials, new engine designs, new tires, new aero, etc. seems to me to create the opportunity for more competition and more advancements in automotive performance.

Ferrari would be the only team racing because they would blow everyone out of the water budget wise.

Agreed, all the smaller teams would drop out due to $$$
It'd be Ferrari vs Mercedes, and maybe RBR.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
It would be weird if Mercedes would drop out and only Ferrari would be left when Mercedes spends more money.

https://www.f1today.net/en/new...ula-1-teams-for-2018

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ESPN is going commercial free for the rest of the races they will cover.

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_...-2018-f1-coverage-us

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
ESPN is going commercial free for the rest of the races they will cover.

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_...-2018-f1-coverage-us

Eek
Awesome news!
I'll be re-signing up for YouTubeTV today. Was pretty disappointed with PSVue.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The top three teams are looking pretty racy after Friday practice.
The first four are within the same tenth of a second.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We were traveling last weekend/week, just got to watch the race this morning. I've been purposefully ignoring the alerts to this thread for a week now!

Great race, commercial free is amazing. I think I prefer Diffey to the screaming sensationalists on the BBC feed, but I'll take it on balance.

Now, for China. interesting quali, really surprised and pleased to see Ferrari with true pace this season. We were Ferrari fans before it was cool.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Being Ferrari fans is always cool!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Best race of the year by far. Daniel Riccardo barely gets out for qualifying and passes the Top 5 people ON THE TRACK for the win. Ferrari had everything and proved why they choked last year when Vettel could have won the driver's championship. Very much a Red Bull day, and thankfully Raikkonen won the karma battle against his team and teammate.

Also excited for Long Beach tonight.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
So we now have a new, official F1 Torpedo. Great race, somewhat manufactured by good and idiotic strategy and safety car circumstance but yeah, great race.

It's not right that Max could pull another red mist move and finish ahead of the aggrieved party. The time penalty didn't kill that spread at the finish, proving how much faster his car was at that stage of the race, how totally unnecessary his dick move was. And another example of F1 not knowing what the right thing to do is.

I hope he has a sleepless night or two knowing he threw that race win away.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
although I'm not happy about the race, at least Hamilton was yet again not on the podium

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If Max needs any instruction on how to do it right, he just needs to watch a replay of his teammates performance.
Yes, Max is usually a bit quicker over a lap but when he backs it off enough to get the right balance he may not be.
The other thing I don’t understand? Why can’t the corner workers be supplied with a leaf blower instead of those silly little brooms? That would make clean up much quicker.

Vettel got the shaft today. First from his team strategy, then the safety car, then from Max. He seemed to have matured a bit recently and handled it as well as possible.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yeah, he did get hosed

but the season is still young

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Happy to see Bottas on the podium, even if not on the top step. Ricciardo is my #2, so glad to see him get the W.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
So we now have a new, official F1 Torpedo...

It's not right that Max could pull another red mist move and finish ahead of the aggrieved party...

I'm damned tired of hearing Verstappen referred to as "young". This is the beginning of his FOURTH SEASON in F-1, for God's sake!

He is not "young" or "relatively inexperienced". He's stupid, and a reckless thug.

As to the race, it's time Ferrari addressed their own lack of team skills. Maybe Red Bull was in the perfect position when the SC came out, but Ferrari ignored the same opportunity and threw away the race. They have a past history of pulling defeat from the jaws of victory, don't they?

I'm a Ferrari/Vettel fan, and I'm sure Ferrari will get past this stage quickly.

I'm with nhtagmember on Hamilton's situation. With his attitude, it's inevitable.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

I'm a Ferrari/Vettel fan, and I'm sure Ferrari will get past this stage quickly.

Vettel was downright business like on the radio after the incident and maybe even conciliatory in his post race interview. Certainly not the old volatile Seb and that's good for him.

Ferrari/Seb fan here too but, ignoring those who I pull for or against, as good an F1 race as I can remember without straining my old brain unduly.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Some fantastic racing, especially Ricciardo's passes! I agree, a much better race than I'm used to seeing.

F-1 has been a bitter let-down these last few years. Too many bad rules such as DRS, motors that aren't really motors any more, mandatory tire changes, penalties for changing parts, bad driving by the likes of Verstappen, and bad attitudes like Hamilton.

If they can make the rest of the season as good as this race, I'm back in. Azerbaijan has been good, especially that one corner that's so narrow that you can't imagine getting a Fiat Topolino through, let alone an F-1 car at full-chat. I'm looking forward to it! Cool

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
This one should be a real wake up call for Max. He threw what should be an easy win out.
The next one should answer the horsepower question with that long straight.
The big question each year has been, will someone crash in the tight section and block the track? The first year no, the second, yes.
Hopefully, another unpredictable race.
I like the uninterrupted coverage but miss some of the after race interviews at the races where there was controversy.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I was pleased we did get some of the after race coverage and a few interviews this time. Seems that ESPN has a hard stop programmed in, so if the race runs long those get snipped, but in normal timing like this week we get some. I guess?

Great race, love it for Ricc. What a drive.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read so many people commenting on Lewis' poor additude. It is funny because when Vettel was doing well last year he screamed "blue flag" seventy two times, and cussed out Charlie Whiting twice, and blamed other drivers for three incidents he was involved in. I also find it funny how people call for changes because Merc wins 15 races, but are silent when Red Bull was dominant. Deep down we all have favorites, wether we want to admit it or not. I like good racing and passing, which is part of what has frustrated me about F1 over the past year. I really hope they make changes this April for next year on the aero kits, and fix the dirty air problem. China was a good race, but all but 4 passes happened on the back sttraght or front straight, meaning they were DRS related passes.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
When Red Bull was winning all the races they were running an engine that others had available to them and it was clear that their car was just better, not the power. In fact, they were thought to be down on power to some of their competitors.

Even so, the races that they dominated were kind of boring and lots of people complained. They were made a little more interesting by the interteam friction with Mark Weber, just as Merc had the Hamilton/Rosberg rivalry.

The DRS really offsets the reverse problem in the corners caused by the disturbed air forcing the following driver to fall back. If the cars could follow at the same distance in the corner than they would be much closer exiting the corner and the draft would have a similar effect to help passing.

I agree, some of the complex and expensive aero do-dads should go but even an Indy Car with a much simpler wing system has a hard time following in a corner when aero downforce contributed several thousand pounds. Any turbulence is going to cause a similar problem.