SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A good race wit ha lot of attrition.
Gutted to see Bottas in the wall, and a big shame for Ricciardo. Probably my 2 favorite drivers.

Amazing drive by Seb, coming from 20th to the podium was a feat for sure.

Can't remember the last race to lose so many cars.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'd say Seb probably took driver of the day, under tremendous pressure to perform at home, carrying the weight of his horrible last race and years of stumbling around in general. Add Leclerc being out and a treacherous day catching out driver after driver, Seb kept it on track.

But then there's "Torpedo" Kvyat, in-out-in again as an STR driver. No room for error this year, he's performed so well, there's a growing call for him to replace Gasly at the big team.

And then my least favorite driver since Maldanado -- Lance Stroll. Red Face How much does daddy pay Sky Sports to give him face time? More importantly how much is JPM getting to coach Lance? There's money well spent, criminently. Perez's head must be spinning.

And for not seen that before, that many truly happy faces post-race AND a 360 spin, five stops, win. Red Face Red Face

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Great fun with some heroic performances.
That said, and to pile on , some clarification please. Hammy finished out of the points so not important but still... He spins off near pit entrance, enters the pit lane on the wrong side of the bollard, gets a five second penalty. Another few feet down the track and he's forced to do another lap with a crippled car, about 1 1/2 minute more time loss at least. Five second penalty?

I'm game to answer this, but I have a feeling you would have wanted a greater penalty?

He had a tire down, and risked sending debris all over the track with a broken front wing and a low left rear tire (and potentially suspension damage). Had he done that, and passed under the line, he *could* have gotten a black flag for endangering other drivers. So, time penalties have been given this year for exceeding track limits (after warnings), speeding in the pit lane, dangerous driving (exceeding limit under virtual safety car/ yellow flag), causing a collision, and forcing another driver off the course (most discussed penalty on most forums).

The first offense for each driver was a 5 second penalty, so yes, I think it fit. Furthermore, the team was not ready for him, and sat for 29 seconds before a new nose was put on, then they dicked around by putting the wrong tire on. The Merc team looked like the Marussia pit crew from 2012 on that stop. Hammy was sitting still for 50.3 seconds.

I'll say what needs to be said, it was a flawed strategy by all teams at that point to be going onto slicks. You saw two cars wreck themselves as a result. I'd say the penalty for stupidity was applied appropriately.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I'd say Seb probably took driver of the day, under tremendous pressure to perform at home, carrying the weight of his horrible last race and years of stumbling around in general. Add Leclerc being out and a treacherous day catching out driver after driver, Seb kept it on track.

But then there's "Torpedo" Kvyat, in-out-in again as an STR driver. No room for error this year, he's performed so well, there's a growing call for him to replace Gasly at the big team.

And then my least favorite driver since Maldanado -- Lance Stroll. Red Face How much does daddy pay Sky Sports to give him face time? More importantly how much is JPM getting to coach Lance? There's money well spent, criminently. Perez's head must be spinning.

And for not seen that before, that many truly happy faces post-race AND a 360 spin, five stops, win. Red Face Red Face

Drive of the day was easily Sebastian. Best Pit strategy was either Red Bull or STR. Each team got more out of strategy than any other team which led to good results. I honestly thought Albon was going to get a podium by the 40th lap.

I will say that the level of aquaplaning on the Hulkenberg was astonishing.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
..I have a feeling you would have wanted a greater penalty?

Yes but with inevitable yellows yet to come, he'd still have been at the tail end one way or another. You make good points suggesting a crippled lap by Hammy would have been it's own problem. I suppose I'm a little bitter his incident left him at pit entrance and he took the lesser of two evils by ignoring the bollard. I am pleased his good luck resulted in no reward, that's for sure.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“Michael Schumacher enjoys watching Formula 1 races on TV and he is making progress in his recovery, his former boss at Ferrari said.

Jean Todt provided F1 fans with a rare update during an interview with Radio Monte-Carlo.

Todt, one of Schumacher's closest confidantes, said the F1 star was making 'good progress' and the pair watch races together on TV.

He added: 'I'm always careful with such statements, but it's true. I saw the race together with Michael Schumacher at his home in Switzerland.'

'Michael is in the best hands and is well looked after in his house…”

https://mol.im/a/7300873

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Good to hear!

I have been wondering after such a tragic accident

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Jean Todt provided F1 fans with a rare update during an interview with Radio Monte-Carlo

These comments are similar to ones made by Todt in January. What he's basically saying is he watched F1 at MS's house with Michael there.

There's mention of difficulty communicating and lack of mobility is a given. There's no evidence of actual consciousness, after this long little chance there ever will be. There are regular reports of hope and outright lies but nothing to indicate there is any real progress of any kind.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Red Bull broke their pit stop record, again

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1MnVvVRkSk

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I"d seen reports that S2 of Drive to Survive would include all 10 teams.

Saw an article this morning that Mercedes agreed to 1 race & Netflix chose Germany.
Hamilton is wanting to block some of the behind the scenes footage, because he was ill over the weekend & doesn't want it broadcast.

Wondering if Ferrari gave a similar deal & the only coverage will be from Monza.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Chain Bear on the return of Ground Effect in the 2021 regs:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlNmWJLyylM

posted Hide Post
Thanks for linking the video. I will be massively excited to see these regs take shape and improve on the show. Now if they can get the payout fixed, maybe we can see some new blood come into F1.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Good qualifying.
Russell put in a heck of a drive. Good to see Williams on the rise.
Pole was something like 2 sec over last year's best lap, I believe.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Here's hoping Max has a better start than last week, let's have an actual race. And looking at the clean/dirty side line up, hmmm....

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
He's won the last 2 bad start races he's had, so there's that.
Lot of oil dry or similar right on the exit of one of the turns, guess it was more discoloration than dust, but I imagine it hampers exit speeds.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Pretty good race. Now a four week wait until Spa.
Several demonstrations of great side by side racing for the HAAS guys to watch to see how it's supposed to be done.
Part 2 of the season will put a lot of pressure on Gasley and Bottas to keep their rides. Their teammates are on top of their game and the contrast is clear.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Very entertaining race!

quote:
Part 2 of the season will put a lot of pressure on Gasley and Bottas to keep their rides. Their teammates are on top of their game and the contrast is clear.

Never understood Ferrari replacing Raikkonen with Gasley. I think Bottas has a silver bullet for at least one more year.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Max should have pitted right after Hamilton. No way his tires could have lasted. He wanted to come in but they shut him down. He would have been behind but had a chance to race. Horner blew that one.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Max should have pitted right after Hamilton. No way his tires could have lasted. He wanted to come in but they shut him down. He would have been behind but had a chance to race. Horner blew that one.

Toto Wolff is a big part of the advantage that AMG-Mercedes holds. He doesn’t make make bad decisions.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Never understood Ferrari replacing Raikkonen with Gasley.

Wut? Confused

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post