SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
It was cute, in the naive childlike sense, how some of you thought Bottas was going to challenge Chinstrap for the Drivers’ Championship in 2020.

It aint over till the fat lady sings.

I will say that was the most epic boring race in the history of F1. It is this kind of shit that needs to get fixed.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not the best race, though a good opening few laps.

Hamilton will be the leading odds for the British doubleheader.
He leads Bottas by 5 points, not over yet.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
You guys are killing me! Big Grin

Do you really think in this age of hyper-wokeness that the German auto manufacturer is going to let anything stand in the way of their black driver from winning his 6th consecutive DC? Their driver who has jumped on the BLM bandwagon. Mercedes wants no part of cancel culture being directed at them. Bottas has about as much of chance to win the Driver's Championship as I do or you do.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
I will say that was the most epic boring race in the history of F1. It is this kind of shit that needs to get fixed.

This is as much about race track design as about tweaking the aero of the cars. They need to stop racing on track where it is so difficult to make a pass

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you really think in this age of hyper-wokeness that the German auto manufacturer is going to let anything stand in the way of their black driver from winning his 6th consecutive DC? Their driver who has jumped on the BLM bandwagon. Mercedes wants no part of cancel culture being directed at them. Bottas has about as much of chance to win the Driver's Championship as I do or you do.

Are you suggesting that Mercedes is secretly handicapping Bottas and that’s the only reason Hammy is winning? I don’t see it. As much as I don’t care for Hamilton, Bottas (original, 2.0, 3.0, or infinity) isn’t consistently up to his level.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
What possible conversation about tire options on formation lap could possibly have yielded a penalty for Haas? Teams discuss timing/types/strategies for tires all the time.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a bigger indictment of the series than Lance Stroll finishing one off the podium. I'm still watching but I actually look forward to IndyCar any given week.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Max had an eventful day with his crash then as the only guy that was anywhere near the Merc’s.
Vettel looked in much better form and drove as well as he could with the equipment he had.
I would like to see what Max or many others could have done in the ‘19 Merc.
Perez just doesn’t have the pure speed although he seems to be very steady and takes the opportunities. He didn’t have a particularly good day and Stroll looked better than he is because of that. Born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.
There was a lot of hard but respectful racing as there should be but often isn’t.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

Are you suggesting that Mercedes is secretly handicapping Bottas and that’s the only reason Hammy is winning? I don’t see it. As much as I don’t care for Hamilton, Bottas (original, 2.0, 3.0, or infinity) isn’t consistently up to his level.

No, I’m not saying they are handicapping Bottas, but if it came down to it they’d tell him to let Chinstrap through. 100% no doubt.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I suggest you pack up and leave the thread if you are going to continue trolling us.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a dedicated F1 fan for close to 20 years, but the past few seasons have turned into a bad joke. The engine rules freeze for the past several years has been a disaster, and the extension of it for yet another season due to "COVID" ensures at least two more boring championships for Mercedes. I still watch, mainly because my teenage son has become a fan and as Ferrari fans it's something we can enjoy (and bitch about!) together. We even had tickets for Canada this year, but that got scuttled. Maybe next year.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:

I suggest you pack up and leave the thread if you are going to continue trolling us.

100% not trolling, but the fix is in. Mercedes is going to win their sixth and seventh consecutive Constructors Championship and Chinstrap will win his seventh and eight Drivers Championship this season and next. If you choose not to believe it, so be it but it’s going to happen. The current rule set don’t allow the other teams to make large enough changes to tip the balance in their favor.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
What possible conversation about tire options on formation lap could possibly have yielded a penalty for Haas? Teams discuss timing/types/strategies for tires all the time.

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...xYp9xYWOvKkJh9A.html

quote:

Haas drivers Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean have both been hit with a 10-second time penalty after the Hungarian Grand Prix, as the team were found to have aided their drivers over the radio on the formation lap of the race, in breach of the sporting regulations.

As a result of the penalties, Magnussen drops to 10th from ninth, which means he still scores one point – the first point Haas have registered this season – while Romain Grosjean slips from P15 to P16 with Alfa Romeo’s Kimi Raikkonen now ahead of him. Carlos Sainz is promoted to ninth.

The stewards found that radio transmissions between the drivers and the pit wall breached article 27.1 of the Formula 1 sporting regulations – “The driver must drive the car alone and unaided” – on Sunday evening at the Hungaroring, because the team instructed their drivers to pit for slick tyres on the formation lap before the start of the race.

Teams can instruct their drivers to pit during the race, but not prior to the start.

The stewards' statement, issued at 2000 local time, read: “Having considered the matter extensively, the Stewards determined that the team instructed the driver to pit. The team could not prove that one of the exemptions made under paragraph A. 2. a) to g) of the Technical Directive 011-17 was applicable.

“Therefore, the Stewards consider there is breach of Art. 27.1 of the Sporting Regulations, that the driver must drive the car alone and unaided.”

As the rest of the field took the start on intermediate tyres, the two Haas drivers dove into the pits under the instruction of their engineers and switched to slicks, starting the race from the pit lane. The call proved to be inspired as the track was drying and they ran as high as third and fourth, with Magnussen eventually crossing the line in ninth.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
In particular, from the above:

quote:
Teams can instruct their drivers to pit during the race, but not prior to the start.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

Huh. That's something I didn't know and makes almost zero sense. But clearly that would be a breach then.

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sounds like some folks didn't watch the years when Williams, McLaren, Lotus, or Ferrari dominated and often qualified a second or more at every race and the two team cars were a lap or more ahead.
I'd like to see a rule change so smaller teams could purchase the big teams designs or equipment but it had to be the same spec as the factory cars and parts.

Limiting them so each team has to create almost everything but the engine has raised the costs to compete tremendously. This rule is relatively recent. March was created with that business model in mind and Lotus sold off cars to other teams for years.

Everyone seems to think that the design is what fans want but look at the cars in preseason testing without the livery and see if you can tell a Ferrari from the Red Bull teams. You don't even get to see the close up technical stuff that is amazing engineering and craftsmanship.

Just a small example here:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/...ix-behind-the-scenes

Another part most didn't see or soon forget was in the pre-race show after Max put his car into a wall with LF suspension damage due to the wet track. His mechanics had under 20 minutes to do the repairs on the grid, showing incredible coordination and skill.
They put the front wheel back on 25 seconds before they would have been forced to retire the car before the race even started and he drove the car to second place.

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...G9SwTg0ZylfMLaj.html

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
His mechanics had under 20 minutes to do the repairs on the grid,

That was pretty remarkable. Christian said after the race that's normally a 60-90 install. They were getting after it.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Hopefully a good sign of steps in the right direction for Alex. Not much detail, but I get it.

quote:
The Santa Maria alle Scotte hospital in Siena where Alex Zanardi is being treated, has announced that the sedo-analgesia program which he was undergoing following his admission to the department of Anesthesia and Resuscitation DEA and Transplants on June 19, has ended.
Following the suspension of sedation, the normality of the cardio-respiratory and metabolic parameters, the stability of the general clinical conditions and the neurological picture allowed the Italian to be transferred to a specialized recovery and functional rehabilitation centre.
"Our professionals," says the general manager of the Aou Senese Valtere Giovannini, "remain at the disposal of this extraordinary person and his family for the further stages of clinical, diagnostic and therapeutic development, as always happens in these cases.
"I sincerely thank the multidisciplinary team that took care of Zanardi putting in place a great professionalism, that is recognized nationally and beyond.
"The athlete spent over a month in our hospital," he continued, "he underwent three delicate surgeries and showed a path of stability of his clinical conditions and vital parameters that allowed the reduction and suspension of sedation, and the consequent possibility of to be transferred to a facility for the necessary neuro-rehabilitation."

link

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.formula1.com/en/la...lz9hBwCojE2QGCI.html

quote:

Grand Prix racing will return to Portugal for the first time since 1996 after Formula 1 added races in Portimao and at the classic circuits of Imola and Nurburgring to the 2020 calendar.

The Algarve International Circuit in Portimao will play host to the Portuguese Grand Prix - its first-ever F1 race - on October 23-25, two weeks after the Eifel Grand Prix at Germany’s Nurburgring.

And a week on from that historic race in Portugal, the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari in Imola will reverberate to the sound of F1 engines for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, which will be a two-day event. The exact format of the Imola weekend has yet to be agreed, but it is expected that there will be only one practice session ahead of qualifying and the race.

It will be the first time since 2006 and 2013 respectively that Imola and Nurburgring have hosted F1 Grands Prix.

The announcement brings the number of races on the 2020 schedule to 13, with 10 races – including a new race in Mugello - having previously been announced. As stated previously, Formula 1 expects the revised 2020 season to have between 15 to 18 races, ending in the Gulf region in mid-December.

Final details of the calendar will be released in the coming weeks, but due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, local restrictions and the importance of keeping communities and personnel safe, Formula 1 has confirmed it will not be possible to race in Brazil, USA, Mexico and Canada this season.

“We are pleased that we continue to make strong progress in finalising our plans for the 2020 season and are excited to welcome Nurburgring, Portimao and Imola to the revised calendar,” said Chase Carey, Chairman and CEO of Formula 1.

“We want to thank the promoters, the teams, and the FIA for their full support in our efforts to bring our fans exciting racing this season during an unprecedented time.

“We also want to pay tribute to our incredible partners in the Americas and look forward to being back with them next season when they will once again be able to thrill millions of fans around the world.”

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...4qDgqhs3T8BbIQS.html

quote:

The Americas hosts some of the most vibrant and popular races on the F1 calendar, but on Friday Formula 1 confirmed that it would not be possible to race in Brazil, USA, Mexico and Canada in 2020.

Formula 1 said the decision was “due to the fluid nature of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, local restrictions and the importance of keeping communities and our colleagues safe”, and had been made after ongoing discussions and close collaboration with the respective partners in the affected countries.

Chase Carey, Chairman and CEO of Formula 1, said that he looked forward to welcoming the races back to the schedule in 2021:

“We want to pay tribute to our incredible partners in the Americas and look forward to being back with them next season when they will once again be able to thrill millions of fans around the world,” he said.

The 2020 F1 calendar currently comprises of 13 races, with new events in Portimao, Imola and Nurburgring announced on Friday.

posted Hide Post
Always liked Imola in the old days. Be interesting how the current F1 cars do on it compared to the past. Know nothing about the track in Portugal.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post