SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Yeah the Bog was fun but weird,last one they had state troopers and nat guard tear gassing the triangle. Loved the Glenn thou. Could walk thru the pits and see the mechanics working on the cars. Could get real close to the track. Used to be into photography with 35mm and took some great shots. https://bangshift.com/bangshif...-1974-us-grand-prix/

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sprint qualifying is official:

quote:

The Sprint Qualifying format in full

Friday
60-minute First Practice in the morning with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely
Normal Qualifying format in the afternoon with five soft tyre sets available only

Saturday
60-minute Second Free Practice in the morning with one set of tyres for teams to choose freely
100km Sprint Qualifying in the afternoon with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely

Sunday
Full distance Grand Prix with two remaining sets of tyres

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quattro_joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Sprint qualifying is official:

quote:

The Sprint Qualifying format in full

Friday
60-minute First Practice in the morning with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely
Normal Qualifying format in the afternoon with five soft tyre sets available only

Saturday
60-minute Second Free Practice in the morning with one set of tyres for teams to choose freely
100km Sprint Qualifying in the afternoon with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely

Sunday
Full distance Grand Prix with two remaining sets of tyres

Reserving judgement until the actual race, but not seeing this being a success. Surely everyone will drive conservatively since finishing 6th is better than making the push to 5th and crashing out ruining your real race? Also this seems to negate grid penalties? If a car gets a 5 grid spot penalty, they not only have an extra 100km to gain those spots back, they get all the time they lost in those first 100km back plus get to repair any minor damage they get from wheel to wheel racing retaking those spots.

I would rather see the old qualifying, but allow cars the finish the race <p6 have unlimited testing between races, as well as relaxed budget restrictions. I think you would see back markers move up the grid that way.

"Sometimes Magic sounds like Tape" -- The Amazing Johnathan

Posts: 1208 | Location: Redmond,WA | Registered: March 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Forgot to include, the Sprint race also awards points to the 'podium' 3, 2 & 1pt.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I don't like a point for fastest lap and could maybe accept a point for topping a straightforward quali.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never been a car or race car fan. But I had some free time last year and watched the F1 documentary series on Netflix. All I can say is "WOW!" If an F1 race is on when I'm flipping channels I'll watch it now. Had no idea how intense it is top to bottom, inside and out.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t get Practice 2 being after qualifying for the sprint race, but before the actual sprint race. Usually cars are in parc ferme after qualy, so what’s the point of practice 2? It doesn’t seem like you’d be able to change anything to make your car better.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I don’t get Practice 2 being after qualifying for the sprint race, but before the actual sprint race. Usually cars are in parc ferme after qualy, so what’s the point of practice 2? It doesn’t seem like you’d be able to change anything to make your car better.

Good point, unless you sustain damage in the Friday quali & need to run it before the Sprint.
F1 did a full feature with more detailed explanation. Can't remember offhand if cars are PF before Friday quali, or at the start of the Sprint.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Glad to see VB on pole. Hoping for a good result for him tomorrow.

GR is pushing the Williams well, too. P11 on merit is impressive.

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
May be an interesting race. I tend to favor McLaren & Ferrari. LeClerc and Carlos did well as did Norris - though I still wonder what happened to Lando in Q3 as it appeared he never picked up the form he showed in Q2. That said, not much difference between top 8 or so, and Daniel messed up somewhere to not get out of Q1. Nice to see Vettel make it into Q3.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Nice to see Vettel make it into Q3.

Particularly since it was mentioned Lance had new development bits this weekend and Seb didn't. Smile

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Why the hell would anyone do a pit stop with 2 and 3 laps remaining. Anything could happen from a speeding penalty to a bad stop to stalling the engine.

I don't understand why Bottas and Max both made stops and put those positions at risk.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Why the hell would anyone do a pit stop with 2 and 3 laps remaining. Anything could happen from a speeding penalty to a bad stop to stalling the engine.

I don't understand why Bottas and Max both made stops and put those positions at risk.

Because they wanted the point for fastest lap that bad. Even Lewis thought about it because he mentioned it on the radio. They figure it will be a close season, and getting one extra point is worth the risk.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it was a 'free' stop for both of them. VB got lucky that Max lost the lap for track limits.
Risky, but worth the point.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, it was a 'free' stop for both of them. VB got lucky that Max lost the lap for track limits.

So Max lost the whole lap and finished way worse than 2/3? All laps where track limits were exceeded led to a bunch of lost laps for other drivers? If the lap is counted, it counted?

Point being a point for fastest lap is a contrivance but that's increasingly what F1 is becoming.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I like the race course. I hated seeing no one in the stands. How much longer can this go on?

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I like the race course. I hated seeing no one in the stands. How much longer can this go on?

Tickets are on sale for the USGP in October.
I also saw a smattering of fans at the Monaco Historic GP a couple weekends ago.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

So Max lost the whole lap and finished way worse than 2/3? All laps where track limits were exceeded led to a bunch of lost laps for other drivers? If the lap is counted, it counted?

Point being a point for fastest lap is a contrivance but that's increasingly what F1 is becoming.

Was typing on my phone.

Max had his fastest lap invalidated for exceeding track limits. He still finished 2nd, but VB re-gained the fastest lap point.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Max had his fastest lap invalidated for exceeding track limits.

Track limits? Like speeding when departing the pit area to go back onto the track, or something else?

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Max had his fastest lap invalidated for exceeding track limits.

Track limits? Like speeding when departing the pit area to go back onto the track, or something else?

In Max's case, it was all 4 wheels beyond the red/white curb at turn 14.
I believe Turn 1 & 4 were also being policed in the same manner. Running beyond the curb can give a lasting advantage & allow carrying more speed through the turn/into the next straight/turn.