SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Hamilton has won six times in Canada, not building my weekend around this race.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Canada - who all remembers precisely where you were during this crash? I do, and thought I had just seen the first fatality in 13 years.

I still can't believe he wasn't injured any worse than he was, in many ways. That was just brutal.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hW5MpdA5Cg

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That was pre me getting back into F1, but Eek that's a gnarly looking shunt. Amazing that it was minor injuries & he was only out for 1 race.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'm not seeing quali listed. ESPN2 has free practice 3 and the race, maybe things will change in the next couple of days.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I'm not seeing quali listed. ESPN2 has free practice 3 and the race, maybe things will change in the next couple of days.

FP1: ESPNU
FP2: ESPNU
FP3: ESPN2
Quali: ESPNews
Race: ABC live / ESPN2 Monday

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Thanks, that's right, I forgot that I'd set up the DVR for ABC race coverage. I don't have ESPNews. Crazy quilt coverage is a mess.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Thanks, that's right, I forgot that I'd set up the DVR for ABC race coverage. I don't have ESPNews. Crazy quilt coverage is a mess.

Agreed, the coverage jumps around a bit.
That's why I went with YouTubeTV, I get almost full coverage of each race.
We cut the cord on cable last year & tried YT & PSVue. Really wasn't a fan of the PSVue interface, and YTTV has the app on my new TV, so stuck with that one.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with the result, but yawn!

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Three DRS zones and almost no passing, yep, zzzzz....

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I may have napped 10 laps or so.....

And could we please stop letting VIP idiots hold a flag? Ever!??

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
F1 2018 - Back to the Future Smile

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eAhik4EhSk

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The race itself wasn't very exciting except for the first lap, maybe the first few corners. After that the passes were all tactical exercises, when to pit, when to go faster, etc.
The result did bring the points race closer. Max finally had a good weekend and McLaren really have some work to do. If not for his recent mechanical DNF's, Fernando would be at the lead of the pack behind the front 3 teams. Now they are even having reliability problems. Without him they would be back much closer to Williams.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The race itself wasn't very exciting except for the first lap, maybe the first few corners. After that the passes were all tactical exercises, when to pit, when to go faster, etc.
The result did bring the points race closer. Max finally had a good weekend and McLaren really have some work to do. If not for his recent mechanical DNF's, Fernando would be at the lead of the pack behind the front 3 teams. Now they are even having reliability problems. Without him they would be back much closer to Williams.

Agreed, aside from the Stroll/Hartley incident, more of a parade than Monaco.
Thought Bottas was going to close the gap at the end, until he fumbled T1/2.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Set the DVR to record F1. What I got was the qualifying, no race recording. And, it turns out, the qualifying was better than any race I've watched in recent history.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Set the DVR to record F1. What I got was the qualifying, no race recording. And, it turns out, the qualifying was better than any race I've watched in recent history.

It was on ABC this weekend. Probably will be in TX as well.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

It was on ABC this weekend. Probably will be in TX as well.

Yep, with a replay on ESPN2 today.

TX, I'll get to see live from T4 Cool

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Red Bull Racing signs with Honda

quote:
It’s been on the cards for a while, but ahead of this weekend’s French Grand Prix, Red Bull and Honda have announced they will link up from next season…

Red Bull have grown frustrated with current power unit suppliers Renault, while Honda have been open to taking on a second team as they bid to make up ground on pace-setting engines Mercedes and Ferrari.

Following several weeks of formal discussions, Red Bull and Honda reached an agreement to join forces for 2019 and 2020, taking them up to the end of the current engine regulations. The team will continue to race under the full name of Aston Martin Red Bull Racing.

“We have been impressed by Honda’s commitment to F1, by the rapid steps they have made in recent times with our sister team Scuderia Toro Rosso, and by the scope of their ambition, which matches our own,” said Team Principal Christian Horner.

“This multi-year agreement with Honda signals the start of an exciting new phase in Aston Martin Red Bull Racing’s efforts to compete not just for Grand Prix wins but for what is always our goal – championship titles.”

The move marks the first time Honda will supply more than one team since the Japanese manufacturer returned to F1 in 2015 with McLaren.

Honda have been building up their UK facility in Milton Keynes to house a second operation for several years now and therefore have the capability to supply both Red Bull and Toro Rosso from 2019.

As part of the deal, Red Bull and Toro Rosso, with which Honda secured a brilliant fourth place in Bahrain earlier this year, will run identical specification power units.

“Having two teams means we can access twice as much data as previously,” commented Takahiro Hachigo, President & Representative Director of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. “We believe that working with both Toro Rosso and Red Bull Racing will allow us to get closer to our goal of winning races and championships, building two strong partnerships.”

Red Bull’s decision to work with Honda ends a 12-season relationship with Renault, which has yielded 57 victories, four drivers’ and four constructors’ championships.

“We have always taken decisions such as this dispassionately and with only one criteria in mind – do we believe the outcome will allow us to compete at a higher level," added Horner. "After careful consideration and evaluation we are certain this partnership with Honda is the right direction for the team.

“We would like to thank Renault for the past 12 years, a period during which we experienced some incredible moments together. We have sometimes had our differences but Renault has always worked tirelessly and to the best of its ability to provide us with a competitive power unit.

"That is still the case today and we would like to thank the Renault team, and particularly the guys in our garage at every race, for their unstinting commitment and we look forward to ending our partnership on a high come the end of this season.

"Our focus for the rest of this year is still very much on delivering the best results possible in the 2018 championship and we wish Renault Sport all the best for the future.”

Renault will now supply just two teams – their works operation and McLaren – in 2019, with Mercedes and Ferrari each having two customers apiece in addition to their factory teams.

"Two years after Renault’s return as a works team, we consider this is a natural evolution for both Renault and Red Bull Racing in view of their respective aspirations," said Renault of the news.

"In an extremely demanding and competitive environment we are proud of the extraordinary results achieved with Red Bull Racing over the past 12 seasons.

"After two seasons, we are fully focused on the strong progression of Renault Sport Formula One Team, while continuing to foster the fresh relationship with McLaren Racing."

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
“We have always taken decisions such as this dispassionately and with only one criteria in mind – do we believe the outcome will allow us to compete at a higher level," added Horner. "After careful consideration and evaluation we are certain this partnership with Honda is the right direction for the team.

Good luck with that. I wouldn't be certain of anything when it comes to Honda. Or Renault.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
FFS!

Automated checkered flag?

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The Red Bull/Honda partnership will be interesting. Now Honda have a proven recent winner that can clearly build a chassis that can make an engine look good.
Many people remember the days of Williams/Honda and the glory days of McLaren Honda in the Senna and Prost era.
Since then, they left Formula One and returned by buying the BAR team that they had supplied engines to for several years. The BAR never won and Honda only won one race in several years after spending hundreds of millions. Even that one win had a little luck involved.
When they bailed out the second time, at the last minute, Ross Brawn quickly fitted a Mercedes engine into the already Honda designed car and the rest is history.
Very few car manufacturers have succeeded in modern F-1. Mercedes have managed to because they hired the right racing people and mostly kept the street car folks away. Renaults success years ago was actually the English Benetton team pained up in different livery. team operating with their checkbook.
The failures of the last 20 years, Honda, Toyota, and BMW have spent combined, over a billion dollars with Button's one win all there is to show for the effort.
Maybe the Red Bull team can bring back their glory days but it won't be that easy.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post