SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
What a yawner of a race ...

And when can we get an American driver at HAAS?

Are there any American drivers available? Alexander Rossi seemed a good choice, he did well in his stand in drives a few seasons ago.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

And when can we get an American driver at HAAS?

Are there any American drivers available? Alexander Rossi seemed a good choice, he did well in his stand in drives a few seasons ago.

Haas has a strategic relationship w Ferrari iirc. That may drive who gets a seat there. I like both current drivers, but RG has such bad luck it’s becomming an issue.
I’m sure there is someone in the US who could drive that car competively.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Haas has a strategic relationship w Ferrari iirc. That may drive who gets a seat there. I like both current drivers, but RG has such bad luck it’s becomming an issue.
I’m sure there is someone in the US who could drive that car competively.[/QUOTE]

RG's driving lately is questionable. He planted his foot on the gas after he had begun to spin which created a massive cloud and made it much worse for the other drivers that he essentially took out. He used to be a crash kid and now it seems as though he is going backwards. There is either alwasys something wrong with the car or someone else. Never his fault. I say sack him and give Leclerc OR Rossi the drive.

Posts: 472 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Leclerc had a great drive in Spain, IMO. Helps that he has prior experience on the track.

The Sauber looks much better than it did last year. Having more power parity likely goes a long way. He seemed to be doing a good job of fending off Alonso.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

Indeed. Finally got to it last night. Wish I could get those two hours back.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Max finally had a decent result but he was actually very lucky. That bump into the back of Stroll at the end of the yellow could have easily required a trip down pit lane for a new nose. Then he would have been back around 15th.
Grosjean really needs to clean up his act. If he isn't bitching about someone or something, he's causing accidents like he was in his rookie year.
Leclerc is already looking pretty good, fast and driving like he has a good head on his shoulders.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Verstappen & Stroll both got lucky with that bump.
Max that he didn't need a new nose & Stroll, that he didn't get a puncture.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Verstappen & Stroll both got lucky with that bump.
Max that he didn't need a new nose & Stroll, that he didn't get a puncture.

True but nobody would have noticed Stroll and he could have used that for another excuse for not doing well.
Max had a lot more to loose.
When he's on, he can outqualify his teammate but that still doesn't mean he can out perform him in the races. Hopefully he can clean up his act soon and find the right balance of aggression and good judgement he seems to be lacking so far.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed with you there.
The kid can drive, no doubts there; but Ricciardo has the better judgement to not go charging into a move you can't make. He's patient enough to wait 2-3 turns & make the move when he knows it'll stick.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Max is now in year three of his Formula One career. While his car isn't a match for Merc or Ferrari in qualifying, it's close and the race pace is very good.

Yet he has already almost taken himself out of the championship running if those teams were to falter. Unlike his teammate who has had mechanical failures and Max's help to blame.

Red Bull stuck their neck out last year when they said Max was their future. I wonder how much more will make them second guess that statement?

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Red Bull are saying their biggest problem is lack of qualifying pace, Merc and Ferrari seem to have more they can dial up. Generally starting on the third row is killing them as we see how hard passing is for relatively equal cars.

Max continues to make desperate choices while Ric has played a waiting game to his advantage. The Ferrari's seem to chewing up tires the fastest of the lead three teams so yeah, patience is a virtue.

It really seems to come down to qualy, front row RB's would change the whole game.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Monaco should be their best opportunity for a front row start.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I remember this article from several years ago. This is one of those rare weekends it would be nice to be on the continent. Or near the Chunnel. There was a similar article from a Brit who basically travelled over night before, got some cheap general admission site, traveled back the night after also for $100 or so.

How to have a killer time at the Monaco Grand Prix for $100

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I don't know if someone has already posted this, but Nico Rosberg's Youtube Channel is interesting. Life is clearly hard for him since his retirement....driving his 1955 Mercedes 300SL around Monaco or taking Mika Häkkinen's McLaren P1 out for a spin. Big Grin

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Updated Ferrari Halo-Mounted Mirrors

Spain

Monaco

Looks like they just removed the aero winglets from the top.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that's all they were expected to do.

Wonder how much time was spent I whatever design is going on inside that mirror housing? I'd like to see a cross-section.....

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Those photos make me think how nice it would be to have a close up view of the amazing mechanical details of the cars.
Too bad F1 doesn't have an open garage policy so the fans could see the workmanship and design of these cars up close.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Those photos make me think how nice it would be to have a close up view of the amazing mechanical details of the cars.
Too bad F1 doesn't have an open garage policy so the fans could see the workmanship and design of these cars up close.

Only if you want to spend the big money for VIP seats. I believe they get a pit walk on Thursday afternoon of the Fri-Sun races.
Not 100% sure how close you can really get to the equipment, but a lot closer than I was post-race from the main straight pit wall.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek
RBR on fire (pace) in Moanco practice!

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
ESPN figured out how to get commercials back into the programming. Frown

But, SKY race coverage is sooooooo much better than NBC Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post