SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It's also a record Schumacher has that Lewis won't top. Schuey has been a world champion with 2 different engine makers while Lewis has only won with a Mercedes.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I thought this was an interesting video.

Direct link

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Did I miss where we stopped calling this the German Grand Prix? Saw Eifel and thought WTF - are we going to a spelling-challenged road circuit in Paris??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Did I miss where we stopped calling this the German Grand Prix? Saw Eifel and thought WTF - are we going to a spelling-challenged road circuit in Paris??

I saw an explanation on this & will have to try to dig it up.
Similar to why Imola is the Emilia Romagna, instead of San Marino.

From another forum, just a theory:
quote:

My theory is that it's a combination of the modern F1 business model and COVID.

The San Marino GP was kind of an oddball, because the race was in Italy but was sanctioned by the San Marino national automobile association. That was done because the FIA has a rule where each country can only have one grand prix. So the Imola race used this loophole to get around that restriction.

I always thought that the real reason why Imola never returned to the calendar after 1994 was not because of the deaths to Senna and Ratzenberger, but because by then, the F1 business model of extracting huge fees from the race promoters couldn't work with Imola because there is no way the nation of San Marino can pay that money.

But with COVID, my other theory is that the desperation to create a race calendar allowed the FIA to maybe put aside the requirement that each grand prix must be sanctioned by a national automobile federation for 2020. That's why we got grands prix for Styria, Tuscany, Sakhir this year. Obviously, they could have named the Eifel GP and the Emilia Rogmana GP as the German GP and San Marino GP, but I think Liberty would have been weary of setting a precedence by given those national automobile federations a "free" grand prix because they didn't pay the rights fee to Liberty to get a proper race. Instead, we got weird grands prix named after regions this year.

If we got a race at Watkins Glen this year, they probably would have called it the Finger Lakes Grand Prix.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

The track is near the Eifel mountain range.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No running in FP1 or FP2 due to weather.

With only FP3 & Quali tomorrow, should make for an interesting weekend.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Race baiters are starting to get their knickers in a twist because Jackie Stewart said Chinstrap isn't the greatest of all time:

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“When I got back to the pits,” he later admitted, “the first question I asked Ken was, ‘Who died?’”

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Poor Lance.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
Poor Lance.

Yeah, didn't hear if they mentioned anything other than him not feeling well.

Hulk gets a 2nd audition to score a drive for next year.

posted Hide Post
I don’t understand how Hulk can pop in with such short notice considering the COVID restrictions. Don’t the teams have their own “bubble”? How could Hulk already be in RP’s bubble, especially since he said he was sitting in a cafe an hour away having coffee with a friend when he got the call.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Maybe he'd already gotten a Covid neg since he was due to be broadcasting/commentating on the race?

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hulk did pretty good considering he got 4 laps and was only 1.1 seconds behind Perez in Q1.
Jackie Stewart raced in a different era as did many of the potential all time greats and comparing them is just an exercise. Just like comparing baseball greats from decades ago against other eras.
Fangio, Jim Clark, Stewart, Senna, Schumacher and Hamilton are all tops in their time but so much is so different. I just enjoy seeing the accomplishments of each for what they were/are.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Interesting race. I am happy that Formula 1 has finally figured out that if you have safety personnel on the wrong side of the fence, you need to put out a safety car.

My biggest question from this weekend is what tattoo is Cyril going to get, or does Danny Ric get to choose it?

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, we got some clues to Cyril's tattoo:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...ring-podium/4890284/

Ricciardo reveals tattoo details after winning F1 podium bet

Jonathan Noble
Oct 11, 2020, 9:35 AM

Daniel Ricciardo says his Renault team boss Cyril Abiteboul will get a German-themed tattoo, after winning his Formula 1 podium bet at the Eifel Grand Prix.
The Australian had a wager with Abiteboul earlier this year that if he succeeded in finishing on the podium for Renault this season then they will get matching tattoos.

As part of the deal, Abiteboul is able to choose the size of the tattoo and where it goes, while Ricciardo gets sole say in the design.

After finishing in third place at the Nurburgring on Sunday, Ricciardo said he would now do something linked to where they achieved the first podium together.

“It's real. It's going to happen,” said Ricciardo. “We'll have to do some thinking now, but probably it will be something to do with me, but I think with a German flavour.

“This is obviously the place we did it. A little tip of the hat to something traditional in Germany as well.”

Ricciardo’s podium finish is Renault’s first since it returned to F1 as a works team in 2016.

It also ends a long podium drought for Ricciardo which stretches back to his victory at the 2018 Monaco Grand Prix.

As he shared the celebrations with his team in parc ferme afterwards, Ricciardo said the top three finish felt like an all-new experience.

“Yes, it's been a while,” he said. “And actually, to be honest, it feels like the first podium all over again. I think it's been two and a half years or something, and yeah the feeling, it's really nice, it's fresh.

“I’m so, so happy and obviously to see everyone as well: we've all waited a long time for this. So, yeah, I think everyone's going to soak it up.”

Ricciardo’s podium finish has closed up the fight for third place in the constructors’ championship, which is hotly contested between the French car manufacturer, McLaren and Racing Point.

Following a tough afternoon for McLaren, Racing Point is now third on 120 points, with McLaren on 116 and Renault just two points further adrift.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Frown Gutted for Bottas, he'd been progressively getting better from FP3 & through quali.

69 points to Ham in the WDC now, bit of an Everest to climb, unless Ham has a couple poor results.

Happy for Ric to get the podium, hope he puts the MCL up here a lot next year.
Everyone was upset about no shoey, but IIRC he only did it with a win, not just for Podiums?

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The only way Bottas was ever going to win this was for Hamilton to get a positive Covid test that lasted for about two months, keeping him away from the track. Without that, no chance really.
The Red Bull situation is confusing. I think it's more than just Max being quicker and I don't think Albon is that bad. Looking back over their history they have always made it hard for the less favored driver. The only one that did ok and left under less than hostile conditions was Riccardio.
I'd like to see them without Marko around and see if things improve.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I recorded the race and in the middle of Lap 30 it switched to a tennis match for the remainder...

I know that Bottas was out with equipment

I think it was the first race I've seen this year that had a clean start with no crashes in turn 1

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It did turn into a survival drive as 6-7 drivers broke down and retired. Williams almost scored points.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IIRC:

Bottas - ERS failure (MGU-H)
Albon - Punctured radiator
Ocon - Hydraulics
Russell - Suspension
Norris - Loss of power/drive