SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Alonso seems kind of mello considering, philosophical about the whole situation. Maybe he already knows what he's doing next year and doesn't care.

That's one reason I admire him -- he's almost always cool as a cucumber. Of course, he can drive with the best of them, too, and was one of the top four I mentioned a couple posts back.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Pretty entertaining race today.
Kimi stuck it in there at the start and some good driving so no one touched or lost any parts. Vettel's pass on Hamilton was a good piece of driving by both too. Max's bumping worked out this time but was close himself and/or Kimi out.
Lots of strategic stuff going on and a fair amount of passing on track too.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bummed about the double retire, same for the birthday boy. 2 of my personal favorite drivers out.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The most entertaining F1 race in quite a while IMO, pretty much a nail biter from start to finish. The top three teams in a good shoot out. It doesn't hurt that the hated Mercs failed.

Austria and the British GP have been Merc victory parades for some years now. Both tracks have mostly high speed turns, next week's race may not be a foregone conclusion from what we saw today. I already amping up for it.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Well done Haas!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Well done Haas!

Quite. Grosjean ends his drought.

Good on Ericson to give the place back to Leclerc at the line as well.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I finally got a chance to watch the race yesterday and it was good

made my day to see Hammy duck out - probably didn't want to get lapped, but whatever the reason, keep Merc off the podiums was awesome

all and all, a wonderful day Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Saw on another forum that Eric Boullier is out at McLaren.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Boullier is out but McLaren has a lot of work to do.
Without Alonso they would be performing a lot like Williams and I think Vandoorne is a lot better than the Williams drivers.
Zac Brown is a marketing guy but they need a technical guy thats a real racer with excellent management skills.
Hope they can right the ship.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Grosjean back in the wall in FP1, missed FP2. Roll Eyes

DRS open in T1 is what I read, bump upset the rear.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Max in the wall lap 2 of FP2 on hard tires.
Apparently the track has become very bumpy and with the DRS open it's very tricky as you would expect.
Ferraris at the top so far, so they are in the hunt. New floor this week. We'll see better tomorrow.
Big gap from Riccardo to the next guy, Alonso but close mid field group.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Hoping for uncharacteristic warmer temps on race day. A cool day will be a Merc walkover. I'm seeing different forecasts for Sunday with highs ranging from 71 to 82 degrees F.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Buemi flashback for Hartley. Amazing he walked off without a scratch.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
British GP - 9/10 Smile

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It was a very entertaining race! My wife has become an F1 fan too and we enjoy watching the races together.

SigForum F1 badguy, Hamilton gains back 15 places to finish on the podium. Outstanding performance, no matter what you think of him or MB.

BTW, I would agree with the Ferrari team that suggesting Raikonnen’s contact was anything other than simple driver error is “silly.”

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I was a week behind and avoiding this thread but now current. Two good races back to back, great way to spend part of weekend.

Like others I was mightily impressed with how well LH made his way through not just backmarkers but the front of field too. Thought they had screwed him on strategy again, but the two safety cars mitigated that.

And then, just as you think he may have the ability to mature into someone you could like (similar to Alonso) he pulls back on his petulant whiny-ass child pants and starts making stupid comments after leaving the post-race area and then sulking in the cool down room. This, not in the heat of the moment but after having had the entire race to get perspective, a spectacular result and a cool down lap.

And if that's not enough, then Toto actually doubles down with the same sort of BS. Hey geniuses - he completely botched the start and without being hit by Kimi and the subsequent penalty would have finished third, at best.

Yeah, screw you Mercedes and Lewis. I hope Ferrari hires Bottas, the only bright spot in your blighted, diseased, immature and annoying team.

eta - HA!!!
quote:
Meanwhile, Raikkonen's wife, Minttu, also took to Instagram, suggesting, in a post, now deleted: "If you cry like a girl when you lose... do ballet."
In a subsequent response to a fan who defended Hamilton, she added: "Just to be clear, I was not talking about the driver but the team who was crying afterwards that someone did something on purpose... No he didn't. It's called racing."

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Lewis' performance on track was outstanding, even if he did have the fastest car. The fact that he didn't ruin the tires following all those cars through the field was great by itself.
His emotional maturity was another matter and I was surprised the FIA didn't somehow penalize him for the no show at the post race interview. I doubt anyone else would have been given a pass.
I think Mercedes missed a chance by not pitting at least Bottas, for tires under the yellow.
I don't really blame Kimi that much for the contact as Lewis looked like he was going wide and Kimi locked up and fell back when he turned in quickly, trying to avoid contact. He has been a lot more aggressive the last few races, probably trying to keep his job.
The racing and drama was good for the second week and the Indycar race was pretty good too.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was surprised the FIA didn't somehow penalize him for the no show at the post race interview. I doubt anyone else would have been given a pass.

I haven't pulled up regs, but as I recall the mandatory piece is appearance on podium and (if you're Michael Schumacher) standing on the correct step, not putting Rubens up there!

This on-track interview is for TV and I doubt they've incorporated that into the requirements. Yet.

eta - yes, not included is the on-track piece.

quote:
PODIUM CEREMONY AND POST EVENT PRESS CONFERENCE
46.1 The drivers finishing the race in 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions and a representative of the winning constructor must attend the prize-giving ceremony on the podium and abide by the podium procedure set out in Appendix 3 (except Monaco); and immediately thereafter make themselves available for a period of one hour and 30 minutes for the purpose of television unilateral interviews and the press conference in the media centre.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Definitely a great closing to the race, bummed Bottas dropped places, but was running out of tire. Great driving by Lew to climb the entire field. Surprised there was only 1 DRS retire with Ericsson, I imagine T1 is pretty tough with it open.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Lewis Hamilton says he was "dumb" to imply that Kimi Raikkonen might have deliberately collided with him at the start of the British GP.
- BBC Sport

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post