SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Whatever we think now, the rest of the season is now set up for some hard racing as needs be.

I'll bet Merc is happy that they didn't followup on Hammie's request to have Bottas slow a bit and back up Serb in the closing stages of the race. They needed the extra points that 2nd place brought them in the Manufacturer's Championship

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I don't think I'd have penalized him if I was Race Stewart, since Hamilton's move looked intentional to me. Not to get rammed, but to put Vettel off his pace.

The Race Stewwards confirmed that Hammie did not Break Check, or even come completely off the gas, by examining the data feed from his car. They said his data showed that his driving was consistent through that corner for each restart behind the Safety Car.

Also remember that it is the prerogative of the leading driver to pace the pack and the responsibility of the following drivers to follow his lead

I know I'm too hard on Hamilton, but I think he's over-rated, if you balance driving skill against judgment and maturity.

I don't remember who was Steward of the Meeting, but I remember his name being mentioned and having a favorable opinion of him. I still disagree that Hamilton didn't cause the incident, intentionally or through neglect. He did lift at the exit of the corner, when Vettel reasonably could expect him to accelerate.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ I don't recall if it was here or another forum (there are others?) but it was mentioned that during a SC period, they more or less switch the hybrid off & they're in full charge / energy store mode.
Provides for some significant 'engine braking' when off throttle. Could explain the noticeable drop in speed when Vet was speeding up.

Either way, should add some fuel to the fire at the front of the championship fight.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
...Provides for some significant 'engine braking' when off throttle...

I'm assuming that's what happened, but whether it was intentional or not, is still open for interpretation.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
...Provides for some significant 'engine braking' when off throttle...

I'm assuming that's what happened, but whether it was intentional or not, is still open for interpretation.

Right, the message from the officials was that telemetry showed that Lew didn't brake, nor did he come 100% off throttle. Not defending either in the situation, I'm just glad to see Smiley & Bottas on the podium. I think those 2 would make for a good team. But HAM & BOT seem to be meshing well together as a team also.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Max V got a 25000 Euro fine today for leaving the race before the media scrum was over...

wtf?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Max V got a 25000 Euro fine today for leaving the race before the media scrum was over...

wtf?

It's not optional. I'd like to see the regs on time and participation though, or they may end up with interviews like that NFL player.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

wtf?

It was late, he had a plane to catch... Wink

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
whew - that was close! We moved into house in different city week ago today and didn't think we'd have TV set up in time for this race. Apparently the C-Spire guys are at my house now, so we'll be up and running in time for quali!

Looked like the Vettel/Hami fun will continue based on early presser.

Jean should be here answering questions

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
whew - that was close! We moved into house in different city week ago today and didn't think we'd have TV set up in time for this race. Apparently the C-Spire guys are at my house now, so we'll be up and running in time for quali!

I did similar, but only moved 2 miles door to door. Made the cable box one of the last things to move to not miss DVR for Baku.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
For those that want to test their F1 start time, with randomness of Charlie Whiting's finger thrown in the mix. Best I got was a .23, but in 10 tries I also jumped 3 times!

F1 Start lights

I've never heard the BS Will the Pill threw in about anything less that .2 being deemed a jump. Seems like it should be based on wheel movement before lights out.

Of course, they've never clarified if a tiny bit of roll is a jump if you are also a few mm behind the start line for your spot. Probably since if they allowed that officially folks would line up way back and try to time it.

I say follow NHRA and take the variability out of it. He hits the start switch, light cycle and times are preset to the thousandth.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never heard the BS Will the Pill threw in about anything less that .2 being deemed a jump. Seems like it should be based on wheel movement before lights out.

Agreed, either the wheels are moving pre-lights out, or they aren't. None of this "anything less than 0.xx is a jumped start due to human reflex times"

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

Of course, they've never clarified if a tiny bit of roll is a jump if you are also a few mm behind the start line for your spot. Probably since if they allowed that officially folks would line up way back and try to time it.

Bottas' wheels clearly moved before the lights went out but, yeah, he was still within his start box. I had to see a few different replays to see he was within the questionable regulations.

Most galling was MSNBC's coverage with the lights and Bottas's front wheels side by side and the movement was clear as day. It was very disappointing to hear Diffey and Matchett look at that and commend Bottas for a perfect start. They owed the viewers another view and the clarification of still being within his start box.

Another full field view I can't link to showed both Vettel and Ricciardo hit their starts as good as possible but immediately behind. They both said post-race they thought Bottas jumped. Game over.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8325 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
What I wasn't aware of before was that the lights could go out, signalling the start of the race, at any time after the first red light lit. I always thought that all the red lights had to come on before they could be turned off to start the race

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I wasn't aware of before was that the lights could go out, signalling the start of the race, at any time after the first red light lit. I always thought that all the red lights had to come on before they could be turned off to start the race

What? I hadn't heard that either. Any reliable source?

Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What? I hadn't heard that either. Any reliable source?

I don't have it at hand, it was just part of the ruling from the FIA following the ruling that Bottas wasn't in violation of jumping the start...I think I saw it on Twitter; can't remember it is was tweeted by Mercedes or NBCSport

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I like Bottas, but he clearly jumped the start. Any other interpretation is just BS IMO. LD and SM are just plain apologists for the FIA.

It's been that way in all races forever.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like Hamilton is making a habit of brake checking. First, Vettel, then somebody else in Q3 yesterday. I DVR'd and watched it real late, missing who it was he delayed this time, but I guess there was a protest filed against Hamilton.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Challenging day for Ferrari today but at least Raikkonen ended up where he would have without the tire problem.
Now back to some handling tracks before the summer break. I was hoping to see how Alonso could do with a slightly better engine but it looks he'll get grid penalties again on a track where it's really hard to pass.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Off topic Formula E observation. The sound isn't great, but the racing is entertaining. In my opinion, much more compelling that F1.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post