SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
RIP Niki Lauda. Died today of kidney failure, many months after a double lung transplant.
I suspect that was a decades old delayed result of the burns he suffered to his lungs in 1976.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
RIP Niki, he made the grim reaper wait a very long time.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A sad day for all of us who remember him.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Indeed, a sad day. Niki was a great one. RIP Niki Lauda

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If ever there was an individual larger than life. Even outside of racing.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/a5oypbl/

He gave his trophies away to a local guy in exchange for free car washes. A good article about him.
https://www.planetf1.com/featu...ash-hunt-and-safety/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
RIP Niki
Frown

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I think he knew he was living on borrowed time since that accident at the German Grand Prix. To borrow a phrase from Game of Thrones, he told the god of death in 1976, "not today".

RIP Niki Lauda

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The man cheated death and got an extra 43 years. Can't complain about that. RIP...

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9rWMe5aT3Q

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The passing of an era. He had a phenomenal life. Something to celebrate.

I’ll always get a chuckle from RUSH where the Italians are picking up the hitch-hiking couple ... “Niki Lauda, Niki Lauda” !!!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nearly a sub-70 second lap of Monaco Eek
They mentioned that Senna's best was never any lower than 1:20.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
From the first few races this year, it was obvious Ferrari were screwing Charles Leclerc, but after qualifying today, I think they're just flat spit-roasting the poor guy. I'm seriously thinking the Italians in management need fired and the team ran like Jean Todt ran it in the late 90's. At this rate, Red Bull and Honda are going to overtake Ferrari in the points.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been the worst season of F1 in recent memory.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
holy crap - what a miserable qual today for Ferrari. Heads need to roll before tomorrow's race.

and Vettel was seriously off his game...doesn't bode well

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
This has been the worst season of F1 in recent memory.

I'm seeing elsewhere some taking critics to task, saying they're the problem if they are unhappy. Don't be dissuaded or fooled, this year really sucks.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
The only thing going for the Monaco GP is the glitz and glamour. The actual racing tends to be quite dull in my opinion. Unless there's a mechanical failure, the race was won in Q3.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
The Monaco Grand Prix Parade...

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I caught the last ten laps on a Mexican station and couldn't understand the commentary, of course, but it looks like Verstappen caught himself a 5-second penalty for unsafe driving that booted him out of second place.

Fuck the little fucker.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My interest in auto racing was rekindled by this thread, but it's been a long time since I was last interested. Watching Hamilton control today's race was more interesting than I would have expected, mostly because of wondering whether his tires would get him to the finish. Also interesting that the outcomes of both Monaco and Indy were determined in the pits.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I can't blame the penalty on Max (and I'm not a big Max fan), maybe even the team. The pits there make it impossible to see what's going on around you. Max did a good job not to hit Bottas even harder.

"both Monaco and Indy were determined in the pits"

Indy was fuel mileage vs raw power and when the last yellow came out Rossi had an almost impossible task. Otherwise it would have beed Honda engine cars racing t=for the win.