SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on bringing my computer with me, just in case I shoot enough to fill the card.
Will see about popping a few shots on here.

Anyone know if the tower is freely accessible?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone know if the tower is freely accessible?

I believe there is a nominal fee, not outrageous. I also think you're only choice is the stairs, not the elevator, unless you have a disability.

This may be outdated info, from a couple years ago when last there.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
WTH?? No pictures or range report?

Razz Wink

That was an interesting race, and certainly did little to support the notion of no real passing in F1!. Some of that wheel-to-wheel stuff through Ss and turns 13-16 was just nuts. Very cool.

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Range report soon. Sitting through the nearly 3k photos I took. Narrowing it down to a few per team.
It was an awesome weekend for sure, timing didn't work out to meet up with furlough. I think we walked nearly 20 miles according to my wife's iWatch.

I'll try to get a weekend review up tomorrow now that I've gotten caught back up at work.

Edit: Image test via Google Photos

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bump, does the above hosted image work for everyone?

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yep, see a big COTA flag on a pole.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll post a thread in the gallery & link it here.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Thanks, I'll post a thread in the gallery & link it here.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...660022234#6660022234

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
How did the crowd react to Max's penalty?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
We were watching it unfold on the big screen just short of Turn 12. We did not see the pass live - it was juuuust too far up the hill. When we saw the text about the penalty everyone groaned. I am a Kimi fan and the folks next to us were decked out in Ferrari gear but we had watched Max close the gap every lap and to have him make the pass on the last lap was exciting. When we saw Kimi go into the room everyone felt bad for Max. Sorry, no podium after one heck of a race.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I was at the finish line for the last 2-3 laps, so I could get on the track post-race. From my perspective, I saw Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen, Raikkonen cross the line. So, I was a little perplexed to see HAM, VET, RAI on the podium. I don't think most of us knew what was going on immediately, since there isn't a screen immediately visible from the gate to the track.

posted Hide Post
The replay showed pretty clearly that Verstappen drove off the track to complete the pass, and that Raikkonen did nothing to require any evasive moves. It was a good catch by the stewards, and shows Verstappen's continued lack of maturity and judgment.

I know Verstappen's contract was renewed, but he still needs time in F-2 or even F-3. Maybe this will cause Red Bull to make him do some remedial homework.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed that he definitely left the track & gained an advantage, taking the inside seems more advantage gained than running wide on an outside pass.
A fantastic pass, even it against the rules. The penalty is deserved, IMO, even if it does suck for him.

Good driving on them both to come out of the corner unscathed.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Everybody on the track knows this is how Verstappen drives, and allows for it. Sort of like scanning your rear view mirror for soccer moms in minivans.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

Everybody on the track knows this is how Verstappen drives, and allows for it. Sort of like scanning your rear view mirror for soccer moms in minivans.

True, he's a brash driver, but coming from 16th to 3rd definitely takes some skill. No doubt he's a good driver, but aggressive in doing so at times.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The replays clearly show that he went inside the white line.
Most people seem to question why they called it on him when there were numerous examples of almost everyone else doing the same thing without even a mention.
The track needs to have more aggressive curbs and ripple strips so you can't go wide without going slower as most tracks have, or maybe some old fashioned grass.
They have installed asphalt in many runoff areas so a car doesn't get tripped up by the transition and cause a serious accident, but on the slower corners, bring back the natural obstacles and take the officials out of the racing.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I think I read/heard that he was also assessed a penalty for passing & gaining an advantage, whereas the other incidents were just a single car cutting the corner/running wide with all 4 wheels over the line.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I read/heard that he was also assessed a penalty for passing & gaining an advantage, whereas the other incidents were just a single car cutting the corner/running wide with all 4 wheels over the line.

That's what they said and the video is pretty clear that he did it. But so did everyone else and that results in a speed through the corner advantage and done enough, a position on the track advantage.
I don't have an argument with their decision. The problem is with the paved runoff that all tracks seem to have now that makes these decisions necessary.
Get rid of the pavement off the track, raise the curbs and let physics make the call, not the stewards.

posted Hide Post
Vettel's on pole, Verstappen second by the usual F-1 slim margin.

It's good to see Mercedes locked out of the front row for once, but the way Diffey was hyping lap times in Q-3 that were a second slower than Q-2 was pathetic.

I turned off the show before hearing any results, but apparently Verstappen was accused of blocking during Q-3, and the stewards were looking at it. This time it wasn't his fault, as far as I could tell. He pulled as far out of the way as the track would allow.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
It's nice having a couple races on our side of the globe.

I don't wish failure on a particular brit-wit driver but I would enjoy seeing Ferrari and Red Bull finish strong. Also rooting for progress from Mclaren.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post