SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Any truth to the rumor that ESPN is just going to broadcast the F1 feed and Machett, Hobbs etc. are out?

That's what was said at the end of last season. Too bad they cant just transfer their show to ESPN like when it switched to FOX but it's probably a budget thing.
I really hope that ESPN doesn't live up (or down) to my expectations.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
ESPN didn't have a contract with the past announcing team and likely wanted to leave it's options open. I think it unlikely that they'll broadcast without a team in place.

I personally found Diffey irritating and Hobbs a bit dated.

I would love to see them bring back Peter Windsor

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just a few more days until we see the first halo cars. Excited, but hoping the aesthetic isn't ruined. The 2017 cars looked great.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
New thread time?

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
just got back into this thread

I was disappointed with the F1 last year - it was my first real year of wanting to watch the races

but recently

eliminating the grid girls - a dumb move

But more importantly I found F1 to be actually quite boring. Its not really racing. Its a sprint to turn 1 and then 70 laps of tire management.

and yes, Matchett and Hobbs drove me crazy - 3 hours of repetition every week, every race, every camera shot...

I am probably not going to bother recording any of the races this year - I'll just get the final results off the net.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I read today that ESPN will be pushing the Sky Sports feed. People on another forum I'm on are pretty happy with the announcement. I've only ever known the Hobbs/Matchett/Diffey/Buxton show since I got back into watching regularly.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I read today that ESPN will be pushing the Sky Sports feed. People on another forum I'm on are pretty happy with the announcement. I've only ever known the Hobbs/Matchett/Diffey/Buxton show since I got back into watching regularly.

I read that as well. I have also read the Monaco race will be televised same-day at 3PM EDT. Not live at 7 AM. That will suck. My day started with Monaco, then Indy then Charlotte.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 367 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
HAAS is the first to reveal the 2018 Halo-era car

IMO, the Halo looks almost the same as it did when scabbed on the 2017 spec cars.
Still a bit of a dorsal fin on the back too, but not the billboards we had last season.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Making the fin and halo black sure helps disguise them.
They should get rid of all the doodads on the front wings. Limit them to a main plane, secondary flap and simple end plate. That would cut down the cost for sure. Some spec parts there and you would get rid of the tremendous development cost. I remember the first IRL cars in the late 90's had a simple two part wing like that and the nosebox/front wing assembly was still just over $30,000. I can't imagine how much the F1 front wings must cost and how many people to maintain just that set of components and spares each weekend.
Hopefully the Renault and especially Honda engines will have made improvements relative to everyone else. We should have a better idea in a few weeks.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

That's unfortunate. Another race series with high-pitched voices that never shut up. I try to watch European auto racing such as the German DTM series and other sports car series but usually delete the recording well before the end as I can only take so much.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Williams FW41

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Interesting how they've added the Mercedes "cape" and the Ferrari "side boards"

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I really wish they would go back to refueling on pit stops. Having a full load of fuel kills the racing.

Everybody is on pretty much the same schedule other than having to fake strategy in by making them run at least 2 different compounds.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Red Bull in launch livery

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That is a huge change for Red Bull. Looks bad ass, but wonder how Dietrich agreed to that??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
That is a huge change for Red Bull. Looks bad ass, but wonder how Dietrich agreed to that??

It is just a temporary launch livery.

Posts: 472 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cfiore:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

It is just a temporary launch livery.

Which is too bad, I think it looks fantastic this way.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Alfa/Sauber reveal

The halo works a bit better here than it does on the Williams, IMO.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
The halo works a bit better here than it does on the Williams, IMO.

To me the lines look almost identical. The high-mount mirrors on the Williams are the biggest difference.

Man, the aero at side of car just under mirrors is getting complex.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I think it's that the Williams has a bit more 'shoulder' in front of the halo mounting & the Sauber has a bit of a faired boot at the halo base.

Aero under the Sauber mirrors makes the Williams look much higher mounted.