SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
It seems as though the gap between Mercedes and the rest of the teams has opened up again. Six tenths of a second qualifying advantage over the Ferarris is huge.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
It seems as though the gap between Mercedes and the rest of the teams has opened up again. Six tenths of a second qualifying advantage over the Ferarris is huge.

We'll see what the long run pace looks like.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We'll see what the long run pace looks like.[/QUOTE]

That will be interesting.
Watching qualifying, The Ferraris looked stable but Hamilton's car looked very stiffly set up and darted all over, even on the straight. His head even seemed to bounce around. Bottas car looked more like the Ferraris.
I wondered if they didn't have different set up's, it was so much different.
Behind them, everyone except the Williams looks too close to call. If they stay that way, the season will be very close between the second tier teams.
Nice to see the Mclarens doing better. I hope this isn't just a tease.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
New F1 Netflix movie looks interesting

Not a big sports fan, not really into motorsports that much.....

...but this series is absolutely fascinating. And the race footage is incredible.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

That will be interesting.
Watching qualifying, The Ferraris looked stable but Hamilton's car looked very stiffly set up and darted all over, even on the straight. His head even seemed to bounce around. Bottas car looked more like the Ferraris.
I wondered if they didn't have different set up's, it was so much different.
Behind them, everyone except the Williams looks too close to call. If they stay that way, the season will be very close between the second tier teams.
Nice to see the Mclarens doing better. I hope this isn't just a tease.

The Merc did look very stiff, but Hamilton wasn't sawing at the wheel, so stable, but very stiff.
Glad to see Bottas quite close on single lap pace.

Shame where the Renaults ended up...

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting race, did not expect that outcome. First lap fireworks always catch someone out.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

I don't have cable, so I won't get to see the race. But I did watch a six minute race recap on Formula 1's YouTube channel.

Not much coverage of the front of the race. That doesn't bode well for Ferrari or Red Bull giving Mercedes a real push.

Lewis Hamilton is going to go down as one of the best F1 drivers of all time, solely due to this being an era where teams were prevented from making dramatic changes to their cars to make them more competitive. If ever there was a need to put an asterisk next to someone's name, this is it. Frown

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of fastest lap point. I guess it spices up the end of the race as eligible drivers go for it but the negatives far outweigh that artificial plus.

A point for pole? Yes.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Not much coverage of the front of the race...

You're right, it's like Mercedes and Ferrari weren't there.

We cut our cable package the first of the year, and since I've lost interest in F1 for the most part, I get my coverage from this thread. Looks like I won't miss much, being no fan of Hamilton or Verstappen.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Not a fan of fastest lap point. I guess it spices up the end of the race as eligible drivers go for it but the negatives far outweigh that artificial plus.

A point for pole? Yes.

I like the fast lap point. Pole is already a big enough advantage that everyone is pushing for that adding a point doesn't really effect anything.

I think the fast lap point will add some late race intrigue later in the season. Once the teams figure out the strategy. I was screaming in my head at Ferrari not pitting LeClerc when he was 32 seconds ahead of the next car. Why not steal a point from your main rival?!

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Definitely an interesting close to the race with strategies being played out on whether to go for the extra point or not.

I'm happy with the result, as a fan of the winner & team.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
TBH I can't make a case for any kind of extra points.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

Lewis Hamilton is going to go down as one of the best F1 drivers of all time, solely due to this being an era where teams were prevented from making dramatic changes to their cars to make them more competitive. If ever there was a need to put an asterisk next to someone's name, this is it. Frown

So you didn't watch the race, you don't like Hamilton, and you don't like the rules - did I miss anything? The rules packages were voted on by teams. The current set has either favored the Mercs (but somehow not their other engine runners), or Merc has found a way legally to get the most out of the package.
I thought this would have been better than the V8 days because Red Bull essentially owned it for four years, and during the Schumacher era cheating was a sport in and of itself. Outside of a budget cap, I'm not sure how to improve the sport.
The Concorde agreement is already shit, and likely to be scrapped at the end of the season, Williams will likely close shop if they finish 10th and the agreement takes their $10 million pound a year bonus away.
F1 has essentially become the US, where hard work has led a few (Merc, Ferrari, and Red Bull) to accumulate all the wins, poles, titles, and podiums. I guess I'd just like to see closer racing.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to next couple races in hopes of some overtaking.

I was surprised at the reluctance of Ferrari to pit LeClerc and push for the fast-point. As shown by others though, stuff goes wrong in pit stops and I'd have been hesitant too.

If it's gonna be a Merc, let it be Bottas every single time.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Looking forward to next couple races in hopes of some overtaking.

If it's gonna be a Merc, let it be Bottas every single time.

Read something that one of the HAAS drivers said it was easier to follow, but still tough to pass, we'll see what comes with the next few races.

Big agree on the Bottas comment, he kicked the door down with that win.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
While this is barely in the realm of F1, it's another weird story w/r/t Lewlew;

Lewis asks actual astronaut Doug Hurley about the moon landing hoax.

Of course even more unusual is the same page article on drinking your way through the F1 season. Linky

Is it Bahrain yet???

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Binotto would like to keep his job for another couple weeks please.

link

quote:
While it was always obvious that Mercedes had been sandbagging to a certain extent in pre-season testing - doesn't it always - few really believe that Ferrari is as off the Silver Arrows pace as last weekend suggests.

From the opening session, both Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc expressed concern with the balance and handling of their cars, neither feeling as confident in the SF90 as they did in Spain.

Toto Wolff has opined that set-up was the issue, and the Maranello outfit's technical boss, Mattia Binotto, tends to agree.

"Conditions are certainly different to Barcelona," said the Italian, "smooth to bumpy, quite a lot windier as well, different, higher temperature and weather conditions. There are certainly external factors that may have impacted or influence the performance of our car.

"But as Toto said, apparently he's well-aware, we didn't find the right window, if we can call it a window, or the right balance of the car," he admitted. "It's something we need to try to understand.

"One thing we are certain of this day and this weekend is it's not the real potential of our car," he insisted. "We are pretty sure the potential is bigger and we have not been able to exploit it all through the weekend.

"You're always hoping to address and improve the situation through the weekend when you've got some issues with balance and the set-up," he said. "It didn't happen. We need to bring all the data back home and try to analyse it.

"That has to remain an exception all through the season," he added. "But I think it will be a good lesson learned. If we may identify where the issue was, we can be back even more stronger."

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Interesting, particular when what little coverage of Oz I saw, quali and race, the announce team emphasized how stable and "balanced" the Ferraris were while the Mercs were skittish. It was mentioned that skittish can be faster, they didn't back that thought up.

I have no impression of tire wear during Oz. A bad set would affect lap times, probably lead to different tire wear too, no?

Unrelated anomaly -- From what I've seen on F1 boards over the years, heard from the latest Anglo coverage we now get, there's a lot of bad juju aimed at Teuts Schumacher and Vettel (don't mention the war) but the Mercs are adored so long as you-know-who is in one.

Disclaimer: I've hated Merc since they trotted out a Che-based ad some years back, pulled very quickly after an appropriate uproar. Not the only subversive Merc ad, just the most in your face.

CHE

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Following complaints from a number of drivers in Melbourne, the FIA is to seek a solution in time for next week's Bahrain Grand Prix.

quote:
"I actually had a bit of a panic because when I stopped I couldn't see the lights," revealed Robert Kubica, who view of the lights was obscured by the rear wing on Carlos Sainz' car. "The rear-wing of the McLaren was hiding it, so I could see the first block but not the rest.

So he missed out on the last chance of the race to be focused on something in front instead of in his mirrors.

I'm sad for Williams. And I even feel bad for Kubi, but I predict that the Kubica experiment will be over by Canada. It was overly optimistic to put an driver in his autumn (or past) in a car that struggles as much as Williams now is. They are going to struggle to survive at all and might as well stick to their model of promoting the best junior driver they can get.

Or maybe they couldn't get one any longer?

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
In Mercedes first Pure Pitwall video of the season, chief strategist James Vowles admits that Lewis Hamilton did a "fantastic job" in fending off Max Verstappen in the closing stages of Sunday's Australian Grand Prix as the full extent of his car's damage is revealed.

Well shit, he must have damaged it on the formation lap given how Bottas drove off and left him.

There's not a roll-eye emoji large enough.