SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
...Also rooting for progress from Mclaren.

Great history in the McLaren team. I have fond memories of nearly getting run over in the pits at Elkhart Lake by Peter Revson, before there was such a thing as pit lane speed limits! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Go Kimi!!

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
glad to see Max win Mexico

still don't like Hamilton

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Wow, two races in a row with the sound off. Judging from the camera time that Hamilton fellow got, he must be quite something, huh?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not a bad race. Like them or not, impressove for HAM & VET to make their way back through the field.
Guessing HAM had some underlying damage that was impeding his progress, he seemed to languish in last for a while before making his way up.

Glad for Max, but was partly wishing for a small issue with his car to give Bottas the win. But, with Seb moving up as high as he did through the field, Bottas taking 2nd overall seems a stretch with 2 races to go.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guessing HAM had some underlying damage that was impeding his progress, he seemed to languish in last for a while before making his way up.

When watching/listening to all that I was reminded of this scene from Contact. FF to 2:35 for "Overcooked Ham"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZn825jemqk

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve been following F1 this season after a long absence. It’s been fun, but so far, there really seem to be only two competitive teams: Mercedes-AMG and Ferrari, who has had more than their share of problems (seem to be sorted out in Austin and Mexico City). I recognize that Verstappen won Mexico City in the Tag Heuer Renault powered Red Bull Car—and I understand that Team Red Bull has won multiple manufacturers championships in the past.

I would hope that the Honda engines in the Toro Rosso cars next year makes them competitive. It’s not clear to me if Toro Rosso switches and Red Bull remains Renault but, I’m sorry that no British engines are competitive right now (racing at all?).

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ As I understand it, the senior Red Bull team will still be using Renault (Tag) engines next year with Toro Rosso going to Honda.
I imagine, if the STR/Honda deal works, RBR could move to Honda for 2019?

Then new engine rules for 2022. I've seen talks of twin turbo V6 with less hybrid, possibly dropping the MGU-H, which seems to be the most problematic component.

I started watching again in 2014, when the Turbo era started. Seeing the V10 2-seater in Austin, makes me wish for a return to those days. That sound is amazing.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
The French are making some fast grenades it appears.

Max oughtta thank his lucky stars his car made it. I do love that they told him to take it easy, then he cracks off another fast lap "oops sorry!"

Hamilton doesnt have the killer instinct. Unless his car is an overdog and he's in front, he is nothing special at all.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Just found out that Porsche is seriously considering a return to F1 racing when new technical regulations are introduced in 2021, according to Lutz Meschke, deputy chairman of Porsche’s executive board.

Porsche is pulling out of the WEC at the end of this season, and in addition to Formula E that they will be active in, F1 is a real possibility.

Porsche would be an engine supplier rather than a branded team.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Max running the engine in Austin helped him a bit, as it had a race in it already?
Ricciardo had it as a new engine for Mexico.
Not sure how that would relate to the works team & STR failures though.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
^ As I understand it, the senior Red Bull team will still be using Renault (Tag) engines next year with Toro Rosso going to Honda.

They are re-badging them as Aston Martin instead of Tag

quote:

RBR won't have much choice as Renault has stated that they are terminating their contract at the end of 2018

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:

They are re-badging them as Aston Martin instead of Tag

quote:

RBR won't have much choice as Renault has stated that they are terminating their contract at the end of 2018

Thanks, forgot about the AM/RBR deal.
With the progress Honda has made this season, RBR may get a resurgence in 2019, if STR can keep the development pace up.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Hamilton doesnt have the killer instinct. Unless his car is an overdog and he's in front, he is nothing special at all.

I agree, I think Tony Kanaan said something like, Hamilton only has to race three other cars and he loses most of the time. Big Grin

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then new engine rules for 2022. I've seen talks of twin turbo V6 with less hybrid, possibly dropping the MGU-H, which seems to be the most problematic component.

2021 PU Proposal
https://www.formula1.com/en/la...1-f1-power-unit.html

quote:

“We’ve carefully listened to what the fans think about the current PU and what they would like to see in the near future, with the objective to define a set of regulations which will provide a powertrain that is simpler, cheaper and noisier and will create the conditions to facilitate new manufacturers to enter Formula 1 as powertrain suppliers and to reach a more levelled field in the sport,” said Ross Brawn, F1’s MD, Motorsports.

“The new F1 has the target to be the world’s leading global sports competition married to state of the art technology. To excite, engage, and awe fans of all ages but to do so in a sustainable manner. We believe that the future power unit will achieve this.”

The overall framework for the 2021 power unit definition will be published by the FIA at the end of 2017, though design and development will not be possible until all information is released at the end of next year, thus ensuring manufacturers continue to work on the current specification unit.

In the meantime, the FIA and F1 will also work with the teams to establish power unit test and development restrictions as well as other cost containment measures.

“The 2021 power unit is an example of the future way the FIA as regulators, F1 as commercial right holders, the teams and the manufacturers as stakeholders will work together for the common good of the sport,” added Brawn.

The key features of the proposals presented to manufacturer representatives at Tuesday's meeting were:
-1.6 Litre, V6 Turbo Hybrid
-3000rpm higher engine running speed range to improve the sound
-Prescriptive internal design parameters to restrict development costs and discourage extreme designs and running conditions
-Removal of the MGUH
-More powerful MGUK with focus on manual driver deployment in race together with option to save up energy over several laps to give a driver controlled tactical element to racing
-Single turbo with dimensional constraints and weight limits
-Standard energy store and control electronics
-High Level of external prescriptive design to give ‘Plug-And-Play’ engine/chassis/transmission swap capability
-Intention to investigate tighter fuel regulations and limits on number of fuels used

posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

“We’ve carefully listened to what the fans think about the current PU and what they would like to see in the near future, with the objective to define a set of regulations which will provide a powertrain that is simpler, cheaper and noisier and will create the conditions to facilitate new manufacturers to enter Formula 1 as powertrain suppliers and to reach a more levelled field in the sport,” said Ross Brawn, F1’s MD, Motorsports.

“The new F1 has the target to be the world’s leading global sports competition married to state of the art technology. To excite, engage, and awe fans of all ages but to do so in a sustainable manner. We believe that the future power unit will achieve this.”

The overall framework for the 2021 power unit definition will be published by the FIA at the end of 2017, though design and development will not be possible until all information is released at the end of next year, thus ensuring manufacturers continue to work on the current specification unit.

In the meantime, the FIA and F1 will also work with the teams to establish power unit test and development restrictions as well as other cost containment measures.

“The 2021 power unit is an example of the future way the FIA as regulators, F1 as commercial right holders, the teams and the manufacturers as stakeholders will work together for the common good of the sport,” added Brawn.

The key features of the proposals presented to manufacturer representatives at Tuesday's meeting were:
-1.6 Litre, V6 Turbo Hybrid
-3000rpm higher engine running speed range to improve the sound
-Prescriptive internal design parameters to restrict development costs and discourage extreme designs and running conditions
-Removal of the MGUH
-More powerful MGUK with focus on manual driver deployment in race together with option to save up energy over several laps to give a driver controlled tactical element to racing
-Single turbo with dimensional constraints and weight limits
-Standard energy store and control electronics
-High Level of external prescriptive design to give ‘Plug-And-Play’ engine/chassis/transmission swap capability
-Intention to investigate tighter fuel regulations and limits on number of fuels used

Bring back Ford, Cosworth, and Chevy- said no one ever.

Only manufacturers that will play will be Ferrari, MB, VW group, Renault, and Honda. In theory, Toyota could be a player, but seeing how bad Honda has screwed the pooch, I doubt we will ever see that happen. Zhangjiakou does not have (currently) the technical know how, and can not pay engineers, and the upside is limited for their Volvo line to make sense. The only other player that can make an engine is ....... Aston Martin, and guess what it makes sense. They will be a major supporter of the Red Bull F1 Team, they have three and a half years before they need to produce, and Red Bull can essentially assist in the development. In the mean time, Red Bull will likely sell off Toro Rosso (do you see that long list of development drivers recently, No) for the two years they are locked in with Honda's engines (2019 and 2020) after Renault drops them like a hot potato after 2018 concludes. For a F1 engine deal to work, you really need at least two teams running them in order to get enough data. Look at who has benefitted the most over the past 4 years - MB.

In terms of domination, the last four years have nothing on the utter dominance of 1995 when only two teams (of 14) ran the Renault RS7 V10 and took 249 points (57%) compared to all other engines entries yielding 176 points. As an example, MB is running 3 of 10 teams this year, and have scored 846 points (46%) versus 970 for the three other manufacturers. Ever since 2014 when MB had four teams running their engines, and score a whopping 71% of all the points it has come down as the competition has increased from rival teams. In comparison, it is not fair to say it is all down to engines either - in 2014 Renault had four supplier teams, and Red Bull scored 405 of the 445 total points scored by Renault Engines, so using points as an all inclusive measure does not do it justice. I will admit that MB had their whits about them when the new engine design was released and has been leading the current iteration of engines.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Let the engines run at 20k rpms ... stop limiting technology artificially.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
20k V10s :drool:

Read today that they're considering upping the fuel flow to 120kg/hr, up from the 100kg/hr currently in place.

With the current flow restrictions, they're shifting around 11-12k instead of the current regulation limit of 15k.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

Its not artificial, its cost and driveability. If the remove the restrictions, the costs skyrocket and manufacturers leave the sport. The cars also become undriveable due to the extreme performance.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

Its not artificial, its cost and driveability. If the remove the restrictions, the costs skyrocket and manufacturers leave the sport. The cars also become undriveable due to the extreme performance.

Roll Eyes

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post