SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Mercedes turned the fastest time in testing, on Medium compound tires.
Next fastest was STR, I believe, on Hypersofts. Eek
Looking like a potential for another MBZ dominant year.

We'll see how next week's testing goes.

One thing to remember is that the compounds this year are a step softer than last years compounds. So the medium this year is last years soft, etc. Still an impressive time by MBZ. We really won't know anything until next weeks test and even then it depends on what programs people are running. So really, we won't know for sure till OZ. But, I really, really hope Ferrari has improved enough to take it tom MBZ.

Posts: 472 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The TV thing is a question right now for me. I think it's on one of the ESPN channels.

The first test was even less of a clue than normal. The only thing that I got was that the reliability of the power units has improved a lot.
The car issues can be more easily fixed and mostly don't result in grid penalties.

The next test should give a little better idea of where everyone stands although without the data it's still a WAG.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Longest month ever. Hell, I even watched a Formula E race this weekend. I did NOT vote in the "Fan Boost" BS!

Can't it be 3/25 now??

Of course in the meantime, McLaren may want to improve on their label-maker technology:

Video of botched pit stop in testing!j

Unless that's a doppelgänger, ol' Zac Brown got to see that cluster right up close!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgeair,

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
that 'halo' is hideous

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
that 'halo' is hideous

WTF is that stupid shit supposed to do? Why must the FIA continuously fuck up a good thing?

First the pit girls and now this? Stupid bastards.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
that 'halo' is hideous

WTF is that stupid shit supposed to do? Why must the FIA continuously fuck up a good thing?

First the pit girls and now this? Stupid bastards.

Supposed to protect from loose items entering the cockpit & striking the driver.
Not sure this halo would've protected Massa from the spring a few years ago, nor do I think it would've saved Bianchi.
Good chance it would've protected the Indy driver though.

IMO, the 'windshield' style looked a lot better, but they caused some distortion of vision & likely would've required some cleaning solution.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Supposed to protect from loose items entering the cockpit & striking the driver.

"Loose items" to include entire cars as well as wheels, etc. I agree it's hideous, but better than an canopy!

I recall the wreck at turn 1 a couple years ago with, I believe, Alonso having a car get airborne and fly/rotate directly over and just ahead of his helmet. But for a few inches that would have killed him I suspect, regardless of HANS, belts, super-duper helmets, etc. Of course in his infamous catapulting corkscrew into the gravel pit I'm not sure he's able to get out with this in place, so it's a mixed bag like any efforts to make the sport safer.

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift -

I found a great series of documentary film on Formula 1 on YouTube. Google YouTube and in the YouTube search window, type "f1templo XXXX season" (XXXX is the year you want to see). As an alternative, you can try Googling "f1templo.com" and go from there.

You will get a 50-60 minute or more documentary film of that season's entire race history. I started around 1971 or so. After the year is finished, the site will immediately go to the next year for another documentary and so on. Spent about 6 hours in the past few days reviewing the season summaries. I consider the 1970s and 80s kind of the golden era of F1 because there were still highly innovative and individualistic design changes being made (6 wheel cars, radial tires, crazy wing/spoiler designs, vacuum effects, intro of turbocharging, different engine configurations, etc.)

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
f1 templo XXXX season

Very nice - I'm going to need to taken an LOA from work. Added to Watch Later. Looks like some old 50/60s races too!

One note - search seemed to prefer with a space after f1 as I edited above. Not sure what difference in total group it is, looks to be the same.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If you happen to be in the area today, Ferrari F1 cars from a few years ago are running at Road Atlanta. They are owned and driven mostly by their wealthy owners and cared for by the Ferrari factory.
Yesterday Marc Gene, a test driver from more than a decade ago did a 1:04 lap around the 2.54 mile track so they are seriously fast.
Great sounds here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMZz9FbpHoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4797-JdV_cI

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Those two videos are sad reminders of how just terrible the current generation of F1 cars sound.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
OK, we're only a few days away now.
Who's going to be the surprises?
Front runners, mid-field or at the back?

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I just hope the McLaren's aren't in mid/back again, or FA may blow a fuse.

I think the HAAS boys continue to make strides this year. We will see.

Can it be Friday already?!!?

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Gotta figure out my streaming options quickly. Need something with dvr or replay capability.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I hope I'm pleasantly surprised by the new TV coverage because I was pretty happy with it on NBCSN. I even liked the early race times because I DVR'ed it and could watch it commercial free and first thing on Sunday morning.
Hopefully ESPN won't screw things up too bad on their end and the SKY coverage is good.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Gotta figure out my streaming options quickly. Need something with dvr or replay capability.

Looked at PSVue after seeing the schedule for this weekend. They don't offer ESPN3 and you have to upgrade for ESPNews. But quali & race are on ESPN2 which is available. Need to check the later race schedules & make sure ESPN3 won't be a necessity. I can live with practice highlights via YouTube, but want full quali & race coverage.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I doubt F1's new owners are thrilled at the prospect of the USA getting unfamiliar and less accessible coverage. The "circus" has already been dulled with the halo, no grid girls (ok, not a huge deal but c'mon! Mad) and the ongoing audible insult of the hybrid PU's. Throw in every season with one dominant team for pushing a decade and F1 has little good will left to lose with me.

NASCAR is floundering with so many new faces, Jimmy Johnson just lost his 18 year main sponsor Lowe's, tons of empty seats.

I love autosports and Indy Car is looking to be the most fun for the foreseeable future. Also, if you haven't, check out Redbull Global RallyCross - GRC. Very cool cars, short races, intense.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to find Qual and the race on my Dish satellite schedule, so we'll see how good or bad the coverage is.

My interest has declined substantially over the last few years, and if this one is poor, I'll probably just watch the Monaco race and call it good for the season.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I looked at the future schedule.
Looks like the majority of practice is on ESPN3 & ESPNews.

All races will be on ESPN2 except Canada & the Monaco encore (ABC).

Qualifying is split between ESPN2 & ESPNews.

I'm not thrilled as YouTubeTV & PSVue both have DVR, but don't have ESPN3. YTTV ESPNews at the $40/mo rate, but you have to bump up a package or two on PSVue to get ESPNews.
Didn't check if YouTubeTV has ABC.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looks like the practice show has been condensed into a one hour show for both sessions.
So far it looks like Directv won’t make me bump up my package to get the channels I need.