SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Possible 2021 car concept leak

Can share tires with Formula E....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Can share tires with Formula E....

It's funny how F1 postures as the pinnacle of motorsport yet has kept the wheels/tires so last century as some sort of acknowledgement to tradition. The new formula should be a quantum leap in performance.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
quantum leap in performance.

You do understand that “quantum” is a very tiny thing, right? Subatomic small. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
Singapore press conference. Kimi's smartass answers are hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzJicWmy8dA

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
quantum leap in performance.

You do understand that “quantum” is a very tiny thing, right? Subatomic small. Wink

One definition, very large.

It's amazing to watch super slo-mo of today's high sidewall F1 tires flexing, distorting and oscillating as much as they do. Relatively precise performance tire to tire must be a huge variable to deal with. New "modern" tires should need a lot more compliant suspensions, no? I'd think designers are in for some fun times, creative solutions and, who knows, dominating engineering.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Quote "It's funny how F1 postures as the pinnacle of motorsport yet has kept the wheels/tires so last century as some sort of acknowledgement to tradition. The new formula should be a quantum leap in performance."

I'd much rather see a quantum leap in making the cars competitive with each other.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see real racing, not stage managed outcomes

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Incredible qualifying laps from Hamilton And Max.
Not sure what happened to the rest.
Ferrari has to hope that Mercedes is harder on their tires tomorrow or Lewis will be hard to beat. He’s just outperforming right now.
Ferrari needs a great start and some first turn good luck. Should be interesting.
Max could be the spoiler for everyone but especially Ferrari.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I'd much rather see a quantum leap in making the cars competitive with each other.

I'd much prefer to see the FIA take a more hands off approach with the specifications i.e., fuel restrictions and limited numbers of engines than more artificial restrictions to make the racing more entertaining.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Very much looking forward to Max and Lew going into turn one. If no fireworks, the tire wear war begins.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
** spoiler kinda **

So I quickly settled in with the Sunday crossword, did some other small stuff, turned the sound off with about ten to go, deleted after sixth place crossed the line. Most memorable moment? "The silver arrow with the golden hand" Give me strength...

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
To amplify one of the commentators from P1: F1 should have no more “road relevancy”, it should be pure racing in the name of entertainment; not fuel and tire deg mgmt.”

Completely agree 1000%

I’m bored to death, and stop this nonsense the Ferrari is faster than Merc ... they are not, have not been so in the last 5 yrs.

The hamster keeps feeding the press this BS and they keep biting on it. The ham sandwich wouldn’t win races unless he has the best car in the field. Even TW said as much in post race interviews.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m just so sick of Hamilton’s winning, mainly due to Ferrari’s horrible strategy decisions this year. The only thing worse is the constant idiotic banter from a SKYSports. Can they not shut up and take a breath once in awhile?
Hoping the next few races will be better, and not put me to sleep like Singapore.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recorded it, skipped to the end, and when I saw the disappointing results, deleted the whole thing including the pre-race.

First time in nearly 50 years of interest that I've decided not to watch a race, but I'm seeing the beginning of a trend.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not a bad race, a few exciting moments.
IMO, Perez's move was deliberate.
Sirotkin was getting balsy, and making some borderline-stupid moves.
Ocon can't catch a break, no blame for the incident after seeing it from a few angles. For a guy that needs to prove himself to get a seat next season.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hamilton just isn’t making any mistakes.
Bottas is in the same car and finished 4th.
Ferrari had the best car for a few races but Mercedes has found something and they are close to even at this point. Ferrari as a team just seem to keep shooting themselves in the foot.
Max drove a pretty good and careful race this time.
Alonso didn’t get much tv time today but performed very well. Too bad he isn’t the one in the Ferrari.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

First time in nearly 50 years of interest that I've decided not to watch a race, but I'm seeing the beginning of a trend.

I've recorded and watched F1 since before 1990 IIRC and have never skipped ahead or fast-forwarded one. A meaningless point of pride, I guess. I have fought the urge many times this season in particular. I just find something else to do, hoping against hope. I will mute the sound as need be.

Races like today can make me feel like a fool. I think it's totally possible Merc can win whenever they want, playing us all for fools.

Fun NASCAR race today and Indycar was thoroughly entertaining for 3/4 of the way, so there's that, race fans. Smile

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I’m bored. Fan all my life, but this might be the last season I follow. This is not racing, Alonso thinks the same...

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
...Fun NASCAR race today and Indycar was thoroughly entertaining for 3/4 of the way, so there's that, race fans. Smile

I lost interest in NASCAR when I discovered road racing, so about 1965. Indianapolis never interested me very much.

Ironically, I was also a great fan of Flat Track motorcycles, and followed that from the 1960's through the 1980's. I still have a Winston Grand National coffee cup!

Quite a contrast, I'll say.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
I’m bored. Fan all my life, but this might be the last season I follow. This is not racing, Alonso thinks the same...

Alonso might be singing a different tune if he was driving a Mercedes or Ferrari.

I think the FIA went off the rails when they allowed the manufacturers to become the priority in making any rules.
Back in the good old days there was a World Championship of Manufacturers, endurance racing, and a World Drivers Championship, Formula One, with little weight given to the car brand.
The manufacturers championship had a brief moment during the Ferrari, Ford, Porsche competition then it faded almost into non-existence. In that same period, the drivers championship (F1) came to the top of motorsports internationally because people could appreciate individual accomplishment and the unpredictability and closeness of competition.
Indycar, in spite of their own recent problems, has mandated that the manufacturers supply equal engines (and especially chassis) to all their customers and closely controlled the costs. The result has been close racing and often unpredictable results. Low budget teams are often beating the higher budget operations to race wins.
If Fernando does race a season in Indycar it will bring a lot more international attention. I suspect you'll see a lot more of the F1 drivers that are not in line for a top team give it a try as a way to showcase their talents.