SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Max's dilemma.

c&p'd the image.

Odd race in that no one deserved to win it.

Bottas had languished well behind throughout the race, holding ground at best but mostly falling slowly back. The safety car was perfectly timed for him to take advantage, he did. For once Ferrari responded correctly by matching Bottas' stop.

I don't know if Vettel threw it all away when his lockup ruined his tires. Maybe he knew that was going to be his best chance with just a handful of laps to go. But yeah, no chance after that.

The day long Red Bull battles showed how hard two equal cars had to fight for position. It looked like Ferrari and Merc were in a similar situation.

Most rightly blame Max but there is a lot of support for both Red Bull drivers sharing some blame. I can't find a link to support this but have seen reference to the stewards giving no penalties, points or time but that Ricciardo got a reprimand. Maybe so but, if true, nothing for Max who had multiple move blocks all day. WTF?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe so but, if true, nothing for Max who had multiple move blocks all day. WTF?

Someone told him he couldn't make two moves to block. Translated in his head to "oh, I must always make at least three or more moves, so 5 in one straight must surely be ok."

They do both own some of that, but DR was no different than everyone else who came boiling up on folks on that straight and would also have been wrecked if someone pulled over just before braking and unloaded his wing. The difference; most other drivers wouldn't do that realizing they are going to wreck themselves from in front as well.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Today's F1 rumor-mill is saying that Miami may replace Baku for the 2019 season.
Article I read said the pit boxes were sold to Miami after this season's race.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Miami would be interesting, but dang it Baku was a hoot! Hate to see it go.

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Lots of action at the end that made it interesting, even if not a great race. If not for the flat tire, it would have been the same 4 guys, once again.

The Red Bull team taking each other out...well, I’m guessing it’s past time for. “Come to Jesus” meeting. I’ve got a lot of catch-up with F-1 to do (I believe Jackie Stewart was the expert commentator of the races I watched prior to last season). As I said, just returning after a long absence, but if I’m Ricciardo, I punch Verstappen in the nose.

Grosjean blames another driver for putting his car into the wall. That driver was 100 yards away Big Grin. dick

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Here is an article from the last race in China. A race Max could have won but didn't due to "indiscretions".
Sounds like you could write almost the same article about Baku.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/n...-from-verstappen-now

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
2019 New Aero Rules

quote:
Formula 1 aerodynamics are set to get simpler in 2019 with one simple purpose in mind: to promote closer racing and more overtaking…
Following a presentation made to the F1 teams at the Bahrain Grand Prix regarding proposals aimed at promoting closer racing and more overtaking in the Formula 1 World Championship, the Strategy Group, the F1 Commission and the World Motor Sport Council yesterday approved a number of regulation changes for the 2019 season.

The changes, approved by e-vote, are as follows:

• Simplified front wing, with a larger span, and low outwash potential

• Simplified front brake duct with no winglets

• A wider and deeper rear wing

The vote follows an intense period of research into the FIA’s initial proposals, which were made with the support of the F1 Commercial Rights Holder, conducted by a majority of the F1 teams. These studies indicated the strong likelihood of a positive impact on racing and overtaking within F1 and as such have now been ratified for implementation in 2019.

The approved changes are separate to the ongoing work being undertaken in regard to defining Formula 1’s regulations for 2021 and beyond.

In addition to the aerodynamic changes ratified on Monday, the FIA is continuing to evaluate a range of other measures aimed at encouraging closer racing and boosting overtaking in F1.

A raft of other measures have already been put in place for 2019, including an increase in race fuel allowance to allow drivers to race at full power for longer, the separation of driver weight from car weight to end the disadvantage of heavier drivers, and the requirement that drivers wear biometric gloves.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The biometric gloves are pretty cool tech....

Linky

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I hope this hasn't been posted. This is a tribute to Ayrton Senna, and it's really well done, touching on both what made him great and what made him controversial. He was Lewis Hamilton's hero and he gets the opportunity to drive Senna's McClaren in this video. Hope you enjoy it.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Tmats,

Thank you for sharing - a great video and tribute to an obviously great driver. Not a big Hamilton fan but got a new appreciation for him based on his reverence for Senna.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I finally got a chance to watch the race

Vettel blew it, a chance for a podium and 2nd, ended up in 4th

at least Kimmi got a podium

not happy that Hamilton won

overall I liked the race as there were lots of opportunities to pass unlike most tracks

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Check your DVRs, FP1 & FP2 to be aired on ESPNU.
Not sure if it's just for this weekends GP, or a going forward plan.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Check your DVRs, FP1 & FP2 to be aired on ESPNU.
Not sure if it's just for this weekends GP, or a going forward plan.

Thx - DVR didn’t have ‘em locked n loaded ... fixed

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
ESPN seems to be trying but I can't understand how little planning they put into something like this.
They had over 6 months to get ready and it's not like they didn't have others to copy.
Running all the shows without any commercials is great but can't go on forever.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It's time again!

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
My wife's a Verstappen fan, will have to show her that one.

posted Hide Post
Somebody should show it to Verstappen!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Haas and Mclaren on a he fourth row for the best of the rest spots. Pretty good jump for McLaren’s new nose.

Vettel and Kimi very close to the Mercs. I hope Ferrari can steal one in Spain.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I remember when Sunday mornings were a highlight of the week. Frown

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
What a yawner of a race ...

And when can we get an American driver at HAAS?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post