SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I hate the Mercs because they have resources no one else can muster and I tend to believe that economic force has undue influence on the series.

As for the yahoos most likely to win these days, racing needs villains as I've said. Even if every race next year came down to wheel-to-wheel clashes between Little Lew Lew and Max, I'd be on the edge of my seat hoping they take each other out. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
It used to be said that fans watched NASCAR for the crashes, I get it. F-1 crashes are more dangerous, though, so agreeing with you, I hope they find a better way to eliminate each other.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
I am extremely excited for next season with the hope that the changes will help overtaking/racing but more because Leclerc finished the post season test fastest of all. Yes it means nothing, but still good to see.

Posts: 472 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I hate the Mercs because they have resources no one else can muster and I tend to believe that economic force has undue influence on the series.

As opposed to the $50 million that Ferrari starts off with before any other moneies in doled out?

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

As opposed to the $50 million that Ferrari starts off with before any other moneies in doled out?

Yep, Merc has money and resources no one else can touch.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
As we speak I see no end in sight to Merc's power advantage.

I'd agree with you if Mercedes were the only team with their engine. If that engine were so dominate, the team rankings in the constructor's championship would be Mercedes, Force India, and Williams.

I think you have to give some credit to the engineering of Silver Arrow chassis for keeping them ahead of the Prancing Horse and the Charging Bull

I'm not a big fan of some of his off track stuff but you also have to give credit to Lewis Hamilton too. He has been pretty close to flawless this year and I can't remember when he did anything less than smart on the track. Even when the Ferrari seemed to have a slight advantage he managed to win and did it cleanly. Yes Vettel screwed up some but the extreme pressure helps cause that.
Keep in mind that Bottas ended the year in 5th place in the standings with the same car (but not always strategy).

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I take nothing from Lew. Whether I like him or not, his best year, a real clinic on how to do it. He already has an edge on everyone else, he used it perfectly this season.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Personally not a huge Hamilton or Vettel fan, but they did put on a good fight this year.
With different results in Baku & Sochi, I think Bottas would've been in the fight a lot longer as well. Hoping he has a better 2019.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
2019 Grid is official:

Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport: Hamilton (44) / Bottas (77)

Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow: Vettel (5) / Leclerc (16)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing: Verstappen (33) / Gasly (10)

Renault F1 Team: Ricciardo (3) / Hulkenberg (27)

Rich Energy Haas F1 Team: Grosjean (8) / Magnussen (20)

McLaren F1 Team: Norris (4) / Sainz (55)

Racing Point F1 Team: Perez (11) / Stroll (18)

Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team: Raikkonen (7) / Giovinazzi (99)

Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda: Kvyat (26) / Albon (TBC)

Williams Racing: Kubica (88) / Russell (63)

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rich Energy

Didn't realize they'd picked up a lead sponsor. Good for them.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Rich Energy

Didn't realize they'd picked up a lead sponsor. Good for them.

First render of a potential livery
Very Lotus-esque

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The drivers have sure been shuffled around for next year. Hope the gap between the front 6 and the rest has closed up a bit.
The big question early will be the Honda. Have they closed the gap enough and will it be reliable?
Hopefully McLaren and Williams will get back in the game. I don't hear much about any big changes at McLaren except drivers, and that wasn't really the problem. Williams is a hard one to figure out. They have the Mercedes power and hopefully the factory team can lend them a hand.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I expect Sauber to be at the top of the midfield with Raikkonen at the wheel. Leclerc had some good finishes this year.

Would be nice to see McLaren & Williams see some resurgence. Otherwise, I expect they'll be fighting each other for last.
I imagine this is Stroll's 1 shot to prove it was the Williams holding him back. If he still fails to perform, I expect he's gone; maybe an Ocon replacement mid-season, if Stroll's performance is lacking?

Toro Rosso is a bit of a wild card, maybe Kvyat has matured a bit & who knows with Gio.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Toro Rosso is a bit of a wild card, maybe Kvyat has matured a bit & who knows with Gio.

Let us know if you decide to field bets on that! Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking Raikkonen in the Sauber and Riccardo in the Renault will be giving the Honda powered Red Bulls a run for 5th and 6th.

With Kubica in the Williams, I can see development moving forward a lot faster.

I'm really hoping McLaren get their chassis sorted out for the beginning of next year. With the number of areo mods they originated that later appeared on other cars, I'm thinking they are on a right track

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Let us know if you decide to field bets on that! Wink

Gut instinct says they'll be fighting with Williams and McLaren, at least at the start of the season.

My 2019 hopes are a better season for Bottas, and a solid Renault for Riccuardo.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

If the Honda makes a lot of progress over the winter, having Red Bull and Toro Rosso exchange information and some parts from Red Bull making their way to them would be a big help.
Kvyat is still a big question mark. Did he get the ride back due to financial considerations? He now has a lot of experience so he should hit the ground running.
Giovinazzi has looked like another Pastor Maldonado, so far. Fast on occasions but hasn't grasped what's really important. Being fast alone isn't the same thing as being good.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yep, Merc has money and resources no one else can touch.

I love how you try to say this with a straight face. Last year full budgets were available was 2017, and Ferrari spent 464 million pounds. Mercedes is technically broken down between power train and MB Grand Prix, and combined they spent 402.0 million pounds. Ferrari has lost money on their F1 team each year from 2015-2017 (3 seasons), yet they had the most money earned from F1 in each of the seasons.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:

I love how you try to say this with a straight face.

And no work is being done during the Summer hiatus. Ferrari is a niche automaker, Merc a world wide monster. You're saying Merc doesn't bring all its forces to bear in pursuing F1 glory? One thing appears true in the world of automobiles, from the sleaziest grass lot used car dealer to the pinnacle of motorsports, weasels abound.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:

I love how you try to say this with a straight face.

And no work is being done during the Summer hiatus. Ferrari is a niche automaker, Merc a world wide monster. You're saying Merc doesn't bring all its forces to bear in pursuing F1 glory? One thing appears true in the world of automobiles, from the sleaziest grass lot used car dealer to the pinnacle of motorsports, weasels abound.

Actually yes, I am saying exactly that. F1 mandates budgets be submitted, and no matter how good that engine is (or is not if you consider Force India and Williams finishing), the team has a fixed amount they spend on aero. I assume you are surmising the MB has a secret wind tunnel that they alone use, or they use far more people in the factory, and don't include them in their budget?? The sheer fact is that Ferrari have brought in the most money from F1, aside from finishing in the top tier for 5 years, they have spend the most in 4 of the prior 5 years (per budgets submitted), and have not paid the most for entry (which is based on points accumulated during previous seasons). Also, Ferrari is part of Fiat, which also ownes Dodge. The Fiat group sold 2.3 million cars world-wide last year, which is paultry in comparison to Mercedes Benz, which sold 2.4 million. Also, Fiat has more personnel that MB does (world-wide), so you assume that Fiat does not bring their best and brightest? I mean seriously??

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post