SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
First look at prototype 2019 front wings

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That is supposed to be more simple? Or simpler?

Or have some improved aero effect to suddenly increase ability to follow???

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Those wings ought to get damaged even more often than the current ones Wink

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
That is supposed to be more simple? Or simpler?

Or have some improved aero effect to suddenly increase ability to follow???

Wider/deeper, with fewer aero elements. Supposedly will allow for closer following without as much penalty.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Since they’re spec, they should take away most of the parts. Make a main plane, flap and an end plate.
They should also get rid of most of the dodads and flippers all over the sides and make the rear end plate much simpler.
The rectangular endplate looks like a good place for a sponsors logo.
Liberty Media should insist that each team allows the tv crew to do a tour of the garage and let the viewers see some of the really cool stuff on the cars. Gene Haas said a year ago, that he got to see so much really interesting stuff that was wasted by not letting the paying public see it.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I felt better about napping after listening to a few podcasts on this race.

2 laps at start and 10 at end would have been just fine, and saved me 1.5 hours.

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

2 laps at start and 10 at end would have been just fine, and saved me 1.5 hours.

You’d have missed Ricciardo’s performance; that team is dangerous.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

You’d have missed Ricciardo’s performance; that team is dangerous.

Daniel probably gives the best late braking overtakes in the field.
Hopefully the Honda PUs give Red Bull a fighting chance next year & we don't end up with them suffering a season or two before it's dialed in.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Friend texted me today that Christian Horner will have Renault engineers as his pallbearers so they can let him down one last time.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek
Wow.
Seems a step backward, looking at this season, but I get it. Max definitely seems to get more of the attention.
IMO, Daniel is the better/more mature driver. Max is daring & brash, but also impulsive. Daniel has the patience/maturity to wait for the right gap, to outbrake into the corner for a pass.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45053384

quote:
Three-time Formula 1 world champion Niki Lauda is recovering in hospital after a lung transplant.

The 69-year-old Austrian had been suffering from "severe lung disease", Vienna General Hospital said in a statement.

"The transplant was successfully carried out," the statement added.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Eek
Wow.
Seems a step backward, looking at this season, but I get it. Max definitely seems to get more of the attention.
IMO, Daniel is the better/more mature driver. Max is daring & brash, but also impulsive. Daniel has the patience/maturity to wait for the right gap, to outbrake into the corner for a pass.

I don't think it is a step backwards when you consider Red Bull is going to Honda engines next year. I think it will be a step forward. I've documented the issues Red Bull has had with Renault powertains, and somehow whatever Red Bull is doing creates a higher degree of failure than other teams. I doubt this will change with Honda. FWIW, I am a massive Ricciardo fan.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Good point. STR is doing well with Honda power this season, but who know who much that'll replicate into RBR.

I'm a big Ricciardo fan as well, just behind Bottas for me.

Hoping Renault gives him a good chance at competitiveness in '19. Hulkenberg seems like a fairly level-headed guy to have as a teammate, even if the odds are that Daniel will initially be #2 on the team.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
For myself, I am just hopeful that Porsche jumps into F1 in ‘21; what excitement that would bring to Grand Prix Racing. Too early to hope for specific drivers landing behind the wheels. I just hope it happens.

ETA: The most credible speculation seems to be that they will supply engines, rather than field a factory team.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Good point. STR is doing well with Honda power this season, but who know who much that'll replicate into RBR.

I'm a big Ricciardo fan as well, just behind Bottas for me.

Hoping Renault gives him a good chance at competitiveness in '19. Hulkenberg seems like a fairly level-headed guy to have as a teammate, even if the odds are that Daniel will initially be #2 on the team.

I'd just add this:
In 2017 McLaren had 30 points with Honda Power trains at season end with 12 cases of power train issues. This year, they already have 52 points (on par for 91) and have three issues of power train failure.

STR had 53 points last year, currently has 28 and is on par for 49 this year. They had four power train failures last year (race only), and have had three already this year.

Thinks that make you go hmmmmm. Methinks the reason Red Bull is going to Honda powertains is for money, not performance. Keep in mind, Aston Martin partnership ends at the end of the year.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The money offered to Daniel may have been a lot different too.
Red Bull seems to see the future in Max and although they say they will treat them equally, who knows.
Daniel is at the point in his career that he needs to start cashing in. He probably was working for Red Bull based on a longer term contract with options from before he was a star. He has been signed with them since he was an unknown they may have been paying relatively poorly.
Renault has been on an upswing the last two years but they were way behind when they started. Getting to the next level will be harder than getting from the back to mid-field.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My opinion is that F1 is nearing a tipping point, and there will be a reallocation of funding equality. I mean Ferarri can not enter a single race, and still get over 19% of revenues is bullshit.
That said, 4th and 5th place in constructors championship are worth $40mm more than 6th, so the big winners if there is a reallocation will be those middle pack runners. I think Renault sees an opportunity to finish 3rd next year behind Merc and Ferarri, and Daniel will give them much better odds than Carlos ever could.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Didn't see that coming. That makes Silly Season all the sillier!

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed, with the last 4 posts.
I think Daniel has a good chance of winning a championship, same with Bottas, given the right season & equipment.

Bottas would be right in the fight, were it not for the 2 DNFs this season (1 you could say is cancelled out with HAM & VET both having a DNF as well). The loss at Baku put a big hit on his season.

With the performance parity added this season, all the teams seem a lot closer & I think it's made for a better season than the runaway domination of the last few years.