SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Speaking or rules (or starting to) WTF is up with this being one of the only series where you can work on car during a red flag?

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the chaos of last weekend, but it reminds once again of an area that just makes zero sense. Safety items - sure, but not tires, wing adjustments, etc. That creates a significant unfair advantage purely as the result of a red flag, not due to luck of timing, etc. before the flag is thrown.

Can anyone explain the rationale behind this? Heck even NASCAR can figure this out.....

Really no different than a safety car. Guys who took a full pit stop prior to the SC lose out to guys who haven’t pitted and do their stop under the SC. To be fair, all the teams can change tires if they want, assuming they have fresh tires left.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It is entirely different than the safety car, IMHO. Even behind SC you lose some time and positions. Diddling around with car while parked in line under red costs absolutely nothing in terms of either.

Sure, everyone can change tires, but that doesn't mitigate the huge change to the race order created by timing of the red. Again, far more than a SC.

Is there any other racing series where this is done?

quote:
Looks like a very narrow track too.

Is it just me, or does pit lane look super narrow as well? Almost like the "second" lane is missing.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This track looks like a driver's track, and if you haven't got the goods, it will really show. Most of the drivers said they really liked the track. We shall see how it all shakes out.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Did quali not air? Didn't see it on my DVR Mad

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Is there any other racing series where this is done?

I don't know of any international racing series where this isn't allowed...I thought it was a FIA thing

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Did quali not air? Didn't see it on my DVR Mad

Weirdly, it showed up 6 hours later...

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Insane race. Maybe best of the season so far.
Hopefully Mugello makes another appearance on the calendar.

posted Hide Post
I DVR’d it, and even though I always pad 1/2 hour, I still missed the last 2 laps. Oh well, it was pretty much over by then, and I got to miss Hammy’s BLM stuff.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Pretty good race and certainly the wildest.
A lot of the suspense at the front went away on lap one when Max went out.
Nice to see another new track that is a real race track.
This was almost worse for Ferrari than the last two. No DNF and Vettel was near the back and Leclerc faded back there even after a fortunate qualifying position and a lucky break with the safety car put him back towards the front. They were slow and ate tires. I'm sure they can't wait for this season to be over ASAP.
Next year may not be much better but it couldn't be much worse either.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Wild race. Dvr didnt record the end but saw the Important stuff.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Not to be contrary, nothing important about this race. Too bad, I love fast tracks and Mugello is fast. Beautiful too. Two revelations may be Stroll is looking halfway competent lately and Bottas is just getting worse and worse. F1 is floundering.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Hammi put on that "shirt" at the end of the race, I shut the tape OFF!!! This shit needs to stop, and right NOW!!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
When Hammi put on that "shirt" at the end of the race, I shut the tape OFF!!! This shit needs to stop, and right NOW!!!

He's currently under FIA investigation for it, to determine if it breaches any rules about political statements. IIRC, the rule states that it can't be on the cars, but may not specify driver apparel.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
This shit needs to stop, and right NOW!!!

The FIA has maneuvered themselves into a corner on this, and there are no regs w/r/t what drivers can wear. The sponsors with logos they are paying a fortune for on firesuits are equally screwed.

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:

He's currently under FIA investigation for it, to determine if it breaches any rules about political statements. IIRC, the rule states that it can't be on the cars, but may not specify driver apparel.

They won’t do anything to a soon-to-be six time world champion, who is also the only black driver in F1. They started all of the pre-race kneeling and the end racism messages because of him, basically making an exception to the FIA’s long standing non-political stance. He’s untouchable now.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
He’s untouchable now.

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
There ya go.

quote:
The FIA will not be investigating Lewis Hamilton for the T-Shirt he wore during the podium ceremony at Mugello.

The world champion wore a black T-Shirt bearing the words "Arrest the cops who killed Breonna Taylor" on the front and "Say Her Name" on the back.

It was thought the T-Shirt breached FIA's statutes that require that competitors "refrain from manifesting discrimination on account of race, skin colour, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic or social origin, language, religion, philosophical or political opinion, family situation or disability in the course of its activities", while the sporting code forbids competitors from "affixing to their automobiles advertising that is political or religious in nature or that is prejudicial to the interests of the FIA".

While the sport's governing body is to consider whether the T-Shirt breached its rules, it has ruled out an official investigation.

As a condition for entering the Formula One World Championship entrants undertake to follow all rules on behalf of their team members.

However, from the outset, Mercedes has supported Hamilton's actions, insisting that Sunday's T-Shirt was about human rights not politics.

However, the rules make clear that no messages of a political or religious nature can be displayed on cars, equipment or team apparel, while race promoters are also forbidden from running signage at their tracks bearing such messages.

Taking to Instagram, Hamilton wrote: "Want you to know I won't stop using this platform to shed light on what I believe is right.

"This is a journey for all of us to come together and challenge the world on every level of injustice, not only racial.

The world champion went on to thank "those of you who continue to support me and show love, I am so grateful".

Hamilton will not face FIA investigation

"While the sport's governing body is to consider whether the T-Shirt breached its rules, it has ruled out an official investigation."

That is quite the hair to split.

Toto quote from earlier article:

quote:
"It is entirely his decision," said team boss, Toto Wolff in reaction to the T-Shirt. "Whatever he does, we will support.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
It's comforting to know that Merc is the source of universal truth as respects human rights and politics. I would have thought the two are necessarily joined at the hip, but that's just me.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Not that I needed it, but more reason to hate Chinstrap and Mercedes Benz.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Chinstrap's "protests" are so off-putting to me. Between him and the rest of the sport, it's been nothing but a distraction.
I was an avid F1 fan since 1986. I've tuned out completely this year.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post