SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Dammit F1 get your shit together.

You are not Greenpeace.

You are not the Sierra Club.

You are the pinnacle of automobile capabilities. To go fast means that you will be profligate with money, research and yes, noise.

Be loud and be proud that you still draw the largest worldwide crowds. They did not leave when you made the sport safer over the years. But they will leave if going to the racetrack does not provide a thrill.

Loud is fun. Rock concerts. Airshows. Races.

Quiet cars suck. Period.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed with the above. I'd be all for a modification to the rules, something like a displacement:weight & let them have some free reign.
Bring back the banshee V10s

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I have faith in the new ownership (esp. w/ Msr Braun involved) that they understand they are in the entertainment bid'ness, and F1 will start to migrate (albeit slowly) to being fun again; i/e/ Racing and not tire/fuel mgmt game.

However, it won't be 2017. Frown

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I have faith in the new ownership (esp. w/ Msr Braun involved) that they understand they are in the entertainment bid'ness, and F1 will start to migrate (albeit slowly) to being fun again; i/e/ Racing and not tire/fuel mgmt game.

However, it won't be 2017. Frown

Not related to the new mgmt, but we at least get better looking cars (less the shark fins) for 2017.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looking like the Mercedes / Ferrari / Red Bull show this year, based on FP1 & FP2. We'll see what quali brings.

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Horse topples star.

Hamilton gets wacked on turn one, Vettle jumps up, kimi rides his ass while Bottas tangos with Danny.

My jaws prediction.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looks like there will be a lot closer racing but the question is, will cars be able to pass?
The heavy dependence on aero and the larger tires will make wake turbulence a larger issue than before and lower tire wear will make the drop off in performance and need for pit stops go away. Looks like they will stop at some races only to comply with the two compound requirement.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Looks like there will be a lot closer racing but the question is, will cars be able to pass?
The heavy dependence on aero and the larger tires will make wake turbulence a larger issue than before and lower tire wear will make the drop off in performance and need for pit stops go away. Looks like they will stop at some races only to comply with the two compound requirement.

Throw in shorter, later braking zones with the big tires and yeah, passing will be more difficult.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Nice to see a good race to open up the season. Great improvised strategy by Ferrari today. Nice to see a shot across Mercedes bow. Hoping that 2017 will not be the Merc show last season was.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Vettel has turned in to the perfect Ferrari driver. His early years with Red Bull he seemed roboticically Teutonic. His stint at Ferrari has allowed his passion for the race come through. He is fiercely loyal when times are not good which has endeared himself to the Tifosi.

I see enjoying himself at Ferrari, win or lose. If he were at Mercedes he would be just another stodgy Robotic German.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the Red Bull's will be able to find just a little more speed and then there will be three teams that will be fighting it out.
Looks like a bigger gap back to the next group but the mid-field group is tight too.
Looked like Lewis didn't manage his tires too well and then that made the strategy not work out for him. If Vettel had come out in second it might have been a more exciting second half but I think he may have still been able to push past by causing Lewis to overdrive the tires. It's nice to see Lewis challenged by someone other than a teammate.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That was a sad weekend for Riccardo, but otherwise a good race and quali sessions.

Glad to have racing back, and looking forward to Ferrari being in the mix. Even if they can't match the engines early on, I'm fine with them out-strategyerizing Merc.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
a good race last night - enjoyed watching it

going to be a bit different this season...a one-stop race...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seeing Vettel win in a Ferrari was a thrill! I've been ready to give up on F-1 for a couple years, and when we cut our satellite package a couple months ago I really didn't consider whether or not I lost coverage. Now, I'm back in, at least for the short term.

Anybody else wonder about Hamilton's mood after the race? I'm guessing he was so glad to be rid of Nico Rosberg that he actually didn't mind losing the race, but if that's the case, he's an even bigger asshat than I had him figured to be.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Almost no passing throughout the race, tweaks needed badly. Here's hoping Ferrari is for real, Red Bull keeps coming and there's some chance for a battle up front this year. Leigh Diffey is approaching unlistenable and Hobbs is getting worse. F1 is the unparalleled circus, imagine if the racing and broadcast were good. Red Face

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Shame for Ricciardo, was hopeful when he rolled out of the pits, albeit a lap down.
Glad to see Bottas on the podium.
Hoping for some good scraps between MBZ/FER/RBR this season.

The 3 wide pass on Alonso was pretty exciting.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Verstappen said it's a 2 second gap of turbulence behind each car ... wow! And, Alonso is still "managing" fuel; sad commentary on formula one today.

Nice to see Seb win though Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
The delta shaped front wing really keeps working in turbulence like they said it would.

NOT

Posts: 5100 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Watched the race today. Kinda boring. Not much as far as action goes. A spin off here, a slight rub there. Mostly just broken cars and no passing which makes for a sad race. I am sure you die hards love this kind of stuff where strategy matters more, but please, I just want a race where you can bring the baddest of cars out and haul some ass. Run what you brung, so to speak. I'd watch that, this kind of stuff....maybe one more race but now it's not looking too good.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Glad somebody other than Merc won, sad that Haas didn't do better....

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post