SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I didn't watch any of the race, but heard something about Max having another tantrum. He's so immature that unless he's stopped, he'll kill somebody.

This is partially Red Bull's fault. They know all too well what he's like, and lost a great driver to prove it (Ricciardo, of course). When the inevitable happens, I hope Red Bull suffer as well.

Somebody wake me when next season starts. I tuned out a couple races back.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I get both sides, but think Max shut the door into T2, where he could've left a bit more room. I get that the race leader should get some priority, but Max left nowhere for Ocon to go, when Ocon was clearly on his side going into T1.
The physical confrontation at the weigh in was uncalled for, IMO.

Ricciardo & Bottas had almost the same occurance into T2, but showed the proper way to do it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Ocon fighting to keep from going two laps down? Max was ahead at the time of contact and had every reason to expect no hassle from Ocon. In post-race interviews, I get the impression there's some bad blood there from the past. Max/Red Bull were a surprise to all, they earned a win and got kicked in the nads.

I can't believe I'm defending the immensely unlikable Max, that was his race.

It seems the one common theme in all auto racing is villains and we've got them in F1. If the cars aren't all we'd like, we at least have the conflicts.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hamilton's answer right after the race to Max was, who had the most to lose?
Max has improved a lot this year but still has to understand the bigger picture.
I recall his father had a few of the same issues on track and a lot of issues off track. Effective anger management doesn't seem to run in the family.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I saw that Charlie Whiting made a comment on the Max/Ocon incident.

TL;DR: Ocon had every right to unlap himself, but shouldn't fight to do it. Had he waiting a turn or two, he'd have had DRS & sailed by the RBR with ease.
Stewards didn't see max being P1 as relevant. The same ruling/penalty would've been issued had Max been P4 & Ocon trying to unlap himself.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Didn’t have an opportunity to watch this race until today, a week later. Very entertaining race. I tend to favor Verstappen’s argument in the Ocon contact. I hear about the Force India car’s faster straight line speed, but the incident occurred in a turn. As far as Ocon’s right to gain back a lap...what you can do and what you should do, as always, are two different things.

Hamilton masterful in nursing his tires for 52 laps and crossing the finish line in 1st. Kind of funny hearing Team CEO, Toto Wolff, joking about Merc Team Engineer, Peter Bonnington, “managing Lewis’ complaining” throughout the season, but smiles all around.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
McLaren's farewell livery for Alonso

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A news item this week is Robert Kubica signing at Williams. That's a great story but will he really be able to perform at that level after his injury and a decade off?
I know, the Williams car could still be a backmarker next year but comparing him to his new rookie teammate how will he do?
Next year at this time, will we be saying mistake or great comeback story?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not a bad finish to the season. Wild lap 1 Eek

110 days to FP1 in Australia.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
What year will the engine regulations change again? Until then, it’s going to be much of the same with Mercedes dominating.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
What year will the engine regulations change again? Until then, it’s going to be much of the same with Mercedes dominating.

Aero regs change for 2019. Engine formula changes in 2021 I believe.

From what I've read, computer sims have similar downforce with the 2019 refs as the current aero regs, will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
Honda powered RBR will be a wild card next year.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton exchange helmets following Abu Dhabi GP

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Is it Australia yet??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Is it Australia yet??

109 days to FP1.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Did I hear correctly, a sixth straight front row lockout for Merc at Abu Dhabi qualifying? I've only got so much left for F1 if this continues.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Did I hear correctly, a sixth straight front row lockout for Merc at Abu Dhabi qualifying? I've only got so much left for F1 if this continues.

I think it was 5th, but yes.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess you weren't watching when Williams dominated or '84 when McLaren won all but one race (only because a backmarker took out the McLaren/leader while being lapped). From 84-90 McLaren won the title six times and finished second the two years they didn't win.
During the era of Mclaren domination there were races where the next car qualified a second slower and that happened race after race.
I think the difference this year is that Bottas hasn't been a true competitive challenge to Hamilton like Rosberg was.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I didn't regularly watch F1 until the late 80's, i doubt the series would have gotten my interest with the previous years' domination. Even as it was, races tended to be pretty much over after the first turn. The attraction was the tech and the spectacle then as it is now. It's a lot more fun when there's actual competition, no? I made it through the Ferrari and Red Bull years, juggernaut Mercedes has just about depleted me. F1 seems to be far less willing to hamstring Merc as it regularly did to Ferrari and Red Bull. It looks like a niche auto manufacturer and an energy drink company matter less. As we speak I see no end in sight to Merc's power advantage.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
As we speak I see no end in sight to Merc's power advantage.

I'd agree with you if Mercedes were the only team with their engine. If that engine were so dominate, the team rankings in the constructor's championship would be Mercedes, Force India, and Williams.

I think you have to give some credit to the engineering of Silver Arrow chassis for keeping them ahead of the Prancing Horse and the Charging Bull

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my own case, I have to say it's not just the domination, since I actually enjoyed that aspect in the past.

It's the personalities. Hamilton's whining has irritated me enough, but adding Verstappen's immaturity, and the incompetence of high-paying drivers in the back of the field, I finally gave up. Oh, and Alonso's bad choices...

I know this will pass as drivers retire, but it won't happen very soon, considering Hamilton's and Verstappen's ages.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post